Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter's dad leaving after 11 years

Options
  • 31-05-2010 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Dear All,

My ex and i have shared parenting for last 11 years (quite successfully) but due to current economy and his wife working in another part of the country has has had to move there for financial reasons..
    My daughter is very distressed even though her dad has reassured her he will be consistent>> Just wondering does has anyone else gone through similar situation and how to cope with this??
    Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Pixie 98 wrote: »
    Dear All,

My ex and i have shared parenting for last 11 years (quite successfully) but due to current economy and his wife working in another part of the country has has had to move there for financial reasons..
    My daughter is very distressed even though her dad has reassured her he will be consistent>> Just wondering does has anyone else gone through similar situation and how to cope with this??
    Thanks x
    Hi Pixie and welcome to the parenting forum. Personally your question for me is a future that I am looking at myself. I have given it much thought.

I am looking for work as a technology 'expert' and see options abroad or away from home in the future. It is unfortunate to eventually have to do so, but the bills will have to be paid plus quality of life has to be maintained as well for my 4yr old girl and myself.

It is an incredibly difficult choice to make but in the long run I think that due to circumstances (the economy etc) then it is the best if not only choice.

Contact these days via tech can be set up via Skype (visual) and mobile phones (voice), plus a blog can be set up for chatting between the dad and the daughter (text).

It is not the same as being there but at the very least they can stay in contact and share experiences constantly by interacting. Plus in a positive way it is almost like a diary as well that they can both look back on, almost like a photograph sparks a memory etc.

Plus when dad and daughter do have the time to meet up physically then they both have 'stuff' to talk about. hope that helps in someway.

Ps Interestingly enough I am working on another dimension of contact using technology which in your case would be very helpful. That is just a project that I am writing and implementing as a piece of tech that I hope to implement in the future.

Advertisement