Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking Sonars

Options
  • 31-05-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for a little advice, I have two dogs and lately one of the neighbours has started given out about their barking during the day. We usually put them out at 8am and they are let back in about 1 or 2 and then in and out throughout the rest of the day let out for toilet and teeth ;) at about 10pm but not much barking then as I usually stand outside at that stage. Our house can become very warm in the summer and leaving them in all day is just unfair.

there is a lane at the side of our yard that all the neighbours use for entrance to there houses or bring out bins whatever but our two start going mad they have become very territorial there are certain instances like

-there is an ould dog that roams around dose no harm but that sets off our two
    -one neighbour has a cat and that can set them off
    -people in the lane
    -if birds land on the fence

problem is neighbour giving out works nights so sleeps in the day, which is understandable.

However, we bought the scented barking collars and they chewed them off each other. I refuse to get any off these elctro-shock thingys I dont agree with them.
    I am looking at a sonar barking system that if they bark it emits an unpleasant sound (I assume). Does anyone have any experience in these do they work are they harmful.

example;http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/ds_pro.htm

Many thanks
    sorry for the long speil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Keep them in, it's not worth risking the neighbours taking it further.
    I know is a pain esp. as it's not your fault that you are in an area where there's foot traffic.

I wouldn't use the collars.

You can get cheap black out blinds in Argos the house can be cooled using them and keeping windows open slightly (smaller ones that are out of reach so the dogs can't get out through them).
    It's not that warm atm and most days in this country unfortunetly it's usually cool.

Supplying them with Kongs etc. to keep them busy and if someone is popping home during the day taking them out for a very quick walk will break the monotony for them.

Dogs wether left in the garden or in the house miss their owners the same amount when they're gone out so they won't be too bothered about being left indoors while you are gone.

The neighbours have to be a bit tolerant though every road/estate etc. has dogs that bark now and then so they should be able to put up with a bit.
    It's a bit unfair on you if the dogs are only barking when someone is passing, if they are quiet in general the neighbour should be more tolerant but not everyone is so to avoid any conflict I'd keep the dogs in.

Sometimes neighbours can snap and take things into their own hands, this is extreme but it does happen sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 palester

It is a very difficult situation for owner and neighbour. As the owner, I think you must do everything in your power to ensure that your dogs do not cause an annoyance to your neighbours, whatever hours they work.

It's great that the dogs are only ever home alone til lunchtime so I def agree with the OP regarding keeping them in. Stuffed Kongs are great and a good long brisk walk first thing in the morning will help to tire them out while they are home alone. Once you are home, it's important that you keep an ear out for them while they are in the garden. Maybe have a chat with a behaviourist/ trainer to see if there is an effective way of dealing with the issue.
    Do keep in mind that everyone deserves to live in relative peace!
    We had a shih tzu who barked anytime a neighbour went into their garden. She drove them beserk.... and us! There was nothing we could do to stop her. So she had to be kept in the house until we were home.
    It's easy to get annoyed with the neighbour but it really isn't their problem. Good luck finding a solution...
    The sonars etc are cruel in my opinion. It's not fair to punish the dog when they're not doing anything wrong. They won't learn anything from it but will continue to suffer the consequences of the collar.

Advertisement