Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike Advice

• 31-05-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm very much a cycling newbie and would like some advice about buying a new bike. I've been cycling an old hybrid bike for the last few months that I got second-hand from a relative - it was a piece of junk really but it did the job. Unfortunately it was stolen over the weekend, I've no idea why as it's probably worthless, but now I need to get a replacement.

I use the bike to get around for work - usually short distances of 10-20 min. However I am going to be attempting a triathalon in September, and had planed on starting cycling training this week. Money is pretty tight at the moment so I'm looking for the best value possible within a budget of €600.

The main question I have is should I get another hybrid/commuter bike or should I get a racer? Is there a significant difference in speed between the two types of bike over say 25km? And are racers suitable for cyling around the city?

I'm looking at something like
    this if I go with a race or like this in a hybrid - are these bikes good value for money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're training for a triathlon then a drop bar bike would be more suitable.

Plenty of people use them around town, they are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Budget for a decent lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Wreck wrote: »
    I use the bike to get around for work - usually short distances of 10-20 min. However I am going to be attempting a triathalon in September, and had planed on starting cycling training this week. Money is pretty tight at the moment so I'm looking for the best value possible within a budget of €600.
    First thing that comes to mind here is can you do the Bike to Work scheme? That will push your €600 budget out to €1000 immediately and you could consider something like this or even this.
    The main question I have is should I get another hybrid/commuter bike or should I get a racer? Is there a significant difference in speed between the two types of bike over say 25km? And are racers suitable for cyling around the city?
    Racer for the triathlon. Yes, there is a difference in speed and in available hand positions with the drop-bars and yes, they are suitable for cycling around the city.
    I'm looking at something like
    this if I go with a race - are these bikes good value for money?
    For the same money you'll get a somewhat better specified hybrid than road bike because the drop-bar shifters are so expensive. The Defy 4 is the entry-level Giant road bike and it's probably worth the extra €175 for the Defy 3.

You'll have to budget for mudguards, carrier (probably, certainly easier than backpack for commuting), maybe clipless pedals (you'll end up getting these somewhere along the way but no rush) and a decent lock (seriously good value here).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have the deft 4 myself and very happy with it, use it for cycling to work but also I use it for spins and events. Good bike for the entry level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Hi guys, thanks for the advice and helpful responses. I think I'm going to go with the Giant Defy 3 and get it through the cycle to work scheme. I've already ordered the lock recommended above through Amazon, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

As long as the bike doesn't take you to the €1,000 threshold, you can get a lock, helmet, reflective clothing and a range of other stuff on the bike to work scheme. I know you have already ordered a lock (and it might still work out cheaper on Amazon) but just in case you didn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Wreck wrote: »
    Hi guys, thanks for the advice and helpful responses. I think I'm going to go with the Giant Defy 3 and get it through the cycle to work scheme. I've already ordered the lock recommended above through Amazon, thanks for that.

Have a look at the Trek 1.2 or Giant Rapid 2 just as alternatives before you proceed with defy.....any queries gis a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

This Carrera from Halfords at much the same price looks much better value!
    Tiagra shifters and carbon fork. Weight not specified but I'd guess it's a good bit lighter than Giant.

Has mountings for mudguards and pannier (most road bikes don't so be careful if this is an issue for you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

People slag off the carrera here. But on other forums, uK based they get a good rep as a budget bike. The frame isn't meant to be the lightest though.

Advertisement