Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Laptop Hard Drive issue

• 31-05-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hopefully some one will have some info on this.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 for just over 2 years now. Havent had many problems with it bar the occasional battery charge problem.

Out of the blue the other night the laptop just died and wont switch back on. it appears to be a hand drive problem. There has been no physical damage whatsoever on it.

Would anybody know where I stand on getting this repaired or replaced with dell or will I have to fund the repair myself.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Why do you suspect it to be a hard drive problem?
    what happens when you press the power button?
    what happens when you plug in the PSU?

When you say it wont power on, does it display any activity, as in a Dell Logo (BIOS), and does it display any information as in error codes, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

It wont power on at all most of the times ive attempted it. The battery stopped holding a charge bout 3 months ago but would still work with the power cord in.

On the rare occasion when it does switch on, it says that it has encountered a hardware issue and to go to start mode to fix issue. When safe mode is selcted the screen just goes Black with a white cursor and nothing more. I left it switched on for a few hours and nothing changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Sounds like you need a Windows refresh and nothing more.

Not powering on at all isn't a HDD problem.
    Does a light come on to tell you the charger is plugged in when the laptops off?

• Advertisement

Yes the charger light comes on. It will appear to switch on and load and then nothing.

What exactly is involved with a Windows refresh and would there be a big cost involved??

Naid23 wrote: »
    Yes the charger light comes on. It will appear to switch on and load and then nothing.
    so does the bios logo always display(dell logo)?

Yeah that comes up for a minute and then it asks do you want to start up in safemode/normal mode and no matter which one you choose it doesnt work. From what your saying it does sound like a software issue.

Anything I can do to resolve this!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1521/en/om_en/pdf/RT722A02MR.pdf

follow the instructions in this pdf to remove the Ram/memory modules. Remove one and then try to boot the laptop up. The place it back and remove the other and try to boot it up.

Your hard-drive would not affect the laptops ability to initial boot. A badly faulty ram module can do this though. I would also affect windows on start up as you described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

Try to re install of repair OS

• Advertisement
Advertisement