Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Extra Opening in Naas In Autumn,Good or Bad?

Options
  • 31-05-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Old news i suppose for Naas locals at this stage,i for one am a big fan of the Extra stores and particularly the one in Wexford which is monsterous!

Just wondering why they picked that site on the Monread Rd and not down through the roundabout and more into the Osberstown area with all the land down there going to waste.

I did see a sign for exclusive house development that never seemed to have made it off the plans alright and that looks as if it was the same site,so maybe Tesco got a bargain for the plot?

Surely the already congested road doesn`t need this let alone another roundabout:confused:

Wonder will they build a petrol station there too like their other Extra stores.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

No petrol station for this store unfortunately. As for the site well I can't be sure but would I be correct in saying they've had this site for a while? That it was bought when it was one of the only ones available?

There also appears to be another shopping complex going in beside it unrelated to Tesco. Having spent the last two years living in Maynooth beside a Tesco Extra I for one am delighted to see this going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Pity about the petrol station as it might have done good for Naas which always seems to be just a little more overpriced than other local towns.

Seen that about about the complex too,i thought those days were over for shop units,what could possibly be needed that isn`t already around the area.

Looking at the vacant units even over the bridge in Sallins i am surprised but it should be interesting to see what pops up beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I presume the old one will be shut down? I'll be happy with that.

The traffic coming into and out of the Tesco car park on the Blessington Road is always a real pain. Won't be sorry to see that go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

It will be good that Naas finally has a good big shop. That old Tesco was horrible, and they know it - how long were they trying to move out of there? And the Superquinn is the poorest one of their stores that I've ever shopped in, certainly not helped by its small size and lack of parking. Are there any plans for the Tesco site? Will Penneys, the one recession proof retail business, expand in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It will be good that Naas finally has a good big shop. That old Tesco was horrible, and they know it - how long were they trying to move out of there?

For quite a time.
    And the Superquinn is the poorest one of their stores that I've ever shopped in, certainly not helped by its small size and lack of parking.

Well, they know that, and have known it for a long time. They've been trying to move out since long before Tesco. It was always a mess, long before Naas even started growing to it's current size. Hence why they bought the St. Patrick's site and developing it. I can't wait to see what they do there.
    Are there any plans for the Tesco site? Will Penneys, the one recession proof retail business, expand in there?

Don't know about the site, but Penneys have bought the Superquinn site, and have a planning application in already to redevelop that when it becomes free giving them a prime "high-street" location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Hence why they (Superquinn) bought the St. Patrick's site and developing it. I can't wait to see what they do there.

I've heard they're no longer going ahead with this and that the site will be used as a secondary gaelscoil? And that Penneys are just going to expand at the old tesco site?? Could be total bs!!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

this one is going to be great. living in clane, the closest, most decent tesco is maynooth so the one in monread is going to be so handy. roll on November 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its going to be great to see a decent sized Tescos in Naas and its great that they are moving it out of its current location, but Im not convinced that directing even more traffic down a road that can already be a major traffic jam at times was the smartest of ideas. Surely there are better places that they could have built it.

I second that on the Superquinn,their size is more like a convenience than supermarket,although i only visited it on off peak times it was not a nice experience.
    They should have relocated years ago.
    It would make sense for Penneys to take the Tesco site when they leave,with one foot in already,as the Superquinn area will always be a bottleneck.

TheColl wrote: »
    I've heard they're no longer going ahead with this and that the site will be used as a secondary gaelscoil? And that Penneys are just going to expand at the old tesco site?? Could be total bs!!

I'd be surprised. How would a school afford a main street site (even in these times). Plus Penneys is a high-street retailer these days: they've very little interest in being out-of-town. The only reason it's located where it is is because Penneys and Quinnsworth were owned by the same company (before they sold Quinnsworth to Tesco).

They had plans to (I think the Sallins Road was the preferred site) but they were continually blocked by the UDC as it was as certain small retailers continually objected as the loss of Superquinn would have meant the loss of a lot of their trade)

• Advertisement

Gregsor wrote: »
    I second that on the Superquinn,their size is more like a convenience than supermarket,although i only visited it on off peak times it was not a nice experience.
    It would make sense for Penneys to take the Tesco site when they leave,with one foot in already,as the Superquinn area will always be a bottleneck.

I dont think Penneys are overly concerned about things like lack of parking tho, I mean look at the Newbridge Penneys, so tbh the current Superquinn location would be great for them. Right in the middle of town as well.

Unless they can come up with a better alternative for entrace/exit then the current Tescos location should not be reused for another supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

djimi wrote: »
    Its going to be great to see a decent sized Tescos in Naas and its great that they are moving it out of its current location, but Im not convinced that directing even more traffic down a road that can already be a major traffic jam at times was the smartest of ideas. Surely there are better places that they could have built it.

exactly, road is very busy in the evenings already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Maynooth is also a very busy place for traffic. But seems to be fine off peak.
    The monread rd flows quite well most of the day also. Better than Maynooth.

I dont go near the monread around 5. Traffic suicide.

Im really glad to see Tesco. It will make life interesting for supervalue . Should drop it prices right down.

tesco extra sell a great range of food and stuff.

Big shame about the petrol.

Use pumps.ie to find the cheapest places to but juice. Sallins road is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I for one wouldn't necessarily welcome the arrival of Tesco to my town (jobs apart of course). It offers nothing but a banal, dull, generic and tiresome shopping experience.

A town near me has had the life torn out of it due to the arrival of Tesco. While their profits are being expatriated to fat cats in the UK, the local retail industry has been decimated. Traditional shops with character, personality and friendliness have closed down after decades in business. The town is becoming anonymous, no different than other "Tesco Towns" and the distinctive streetscape that was once its trademark is now nothing more than a streetful of empty shops.

Be careful what you wish for.

Well, as Naas already has a Tesco, this is hardly an "arrival". Just a replacement for their insufficient and badly located current store. That - everything else aside - is a welcome development.

True Buffybot,just an upgrade really and it won`t do much more damage to the local businesses already standing.
    It`s not as if they are going to give us cheaper groceries because they have a bigger store(i wish) just more variety.
    If anything it may attract extra custom to the local town and initial area instead....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Tesco should know all about how traffic can harm their business. Tesco in Newbridge is a disaster for traffic.

Naas is defiantly big enough to cope with Tesco moving to a bigger location. There's already a load of retail areas on the edge of the town anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Ah lovely, more traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

I'm not looking forward to the traffic this is going to bring to the Sallins road. Its very bad already in both directions and this is going to make it worse. There is nearly always stand still traffic heading into Naas, and there is nearly always stand still traffic at the roundabout at the foot of the motorway bridge.

I wont be adding to it anyway, as all the major supermarkets have about the same prices nowadays and the quality of the food sold in Tesco is schite. And even though they like to give the impression they sell mostly Irish sourced food, they don't. They sell feck all really. Their electronics and extra stuff might be worth a look though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

NedNew2 wrote: »
    I for one wouldn't necessarily welcome the arrival of Tesco to my town (jobs apart of course). It offers nothing but a banal, dull, generic and tiresome shopping experience.

A town near me has had the life torn out of it due to the arrival of Tesco. While their profits are being expatriated to fat cats in the UK, the local retail industry has been decimated.

Tesco is a public company so the profits are shared amongst thousands of shareholders many of which are pension funds here. They also buy a fair bit of Irish produce - not as much as Aldi or Supervalu but more than Dunnes and more than Lidl and this then sometimes feeds into their UK stores. - All in all they're not as bad as some anti tesco people will make you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I also would normally have huge reservations about Tesco's,but I don't see it having huge effects on the town centre businesses here, apart from Superquinn. Live on the Blessington Rd,so I won't be sorry to see the existing one closed. Speaking of the shopping centre, dows anyone know if this is going to be built. Its a real eyesore right now.

Posts relating to the new Penneys store and the planning permission objections spun off here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056054978

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

think it will hit Supervalu in Sallins quite badly along with other shops around there...not sure about Superquinn in Naas....maybe people will drift back to there considering the extended journey they'll now have to make..it's moving to the opposite side of the town - which means more through traffic through Naas itself...this may save businesses in the town as a result but it's going to make naas traffic insane...think of all the traffic coming back from shopping on a saturday queuing up to get back to the other side of town...

Yeah I can see Supervalu in Sallins getting affected unfortunately. Shame really as its probably the best supermarket in the area. Then again they have a decent bakery and butcher counter so unless Tescos can match them then they make keep a lot of their clientelle.

djimi wrote: »
    Yeah I can see Supervalu in Sallins getting affected unfortunately. Shame really as its probably the best supermarket in the area. Then again they have a decent bakery and butcher counter so unless Tescos can match them then they make keep a lot of their clientelle.

i think the supervalu will be ok. As new as they are, they have turned into a very community based store.
    The manager will alway say hello as he runs around .

I for one went out and did a full shop only to find I walked out with out my wallet.
    He told me to bring the money in the next day. Over 100 euro.

cant see Tesco ever ever doing that.

I am still really glad of Tescos arrival. My wife has got a very good job in the store

gsxr1 wrote: »
    i think the supervalu will be ok. As new as they are, they have turned into a very community based store.
    The manager will alway say hello as he runs around .

I for one went out and did a full shop only to find I walked out with out my wallet.
    He told me to bring the money in the next day. Over 100 euro.

cant see Tesco ever ever doing that.

I am still really glad of Tescos arrival. My wife has got a very good job in the store

Yeah Fergus is a really nice chap. Its a great little supermarket and I hope theyre not affected by Tescos.

I heard that superquinn are taking the old store after a 1 year phased move out by Tesco

Superquinn are moving to the old school site on the Limerick Rd, so I doubt it.

Whats happening to the old Tescos? I heard from someone that Tescos are going to keep a small shop there, like the one in Clane, but surely thats not right is it? Im personally very much looking forward to the day that shop closes so the road at the lights at the crossings will no longer be blocked by Tesco traffic. If they keep it open I wont be in the slightest bit impressed.

• Advertisement

tha staff in Tesco naas are of a different opinion buffybott. Its common knowledge in the old store. 1 year wind down and then superquinn.

Maybe they have been misinformed

Advertisement