Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Extra Opening in Naas In Autumn,Good or Bad?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    It would save people heading from Dublin to sallins having to sit on the monread road for half an hour for a start.

Theres another motorway exit at the other end of Millenium Park. Does the M7 really need 3 exits in that short stretch of road?

Dont get me wrong, it would be handy I agree, but it would also be money that could be spent much better in other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

djimi wrote: »
    Theres another motorway exit at the other end of Millenium Park. Does the M7 really need 3 exits in that short stretch of road?

Dont get me wrong, it would be handy I agree, but it would also be money that could be spent much better in other areas.

The plan is dead in the water iirc.
    I think when Sean Dunne was involved in the Millenium Park project, he wanted to build an off ramp into the park himself. He never got approval so the park remains quite dead.

I don't believe the council/NRA were ever interested in that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We went up for a snoop the first night it opened. Wandering around the place, pushing a trolley, 2 hours we were in there. Spent a bloody fortune, even with our voucher. At least there's more of a selection now. And the wines, mmmmmm. I think the car park in tesco is a joke, who ever came up with that idea.

The NRA won't allow a road to lead straight into a business park or shopping centre straight off a main road like the N7. Granted, it's be brilliant, but so would getting rid of all the round abouts and traffic lights in the monread road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I was over there last night for the first time.... Holy hell it's HUUUGGGEEE.... regarding the parking, there was no cars there when I was there (at 11pm) but why did they have that big s-shaped road into it... makes it unnecessarily awkward to manouvre into...

Loads of stuff in the store, mp3 players, printers, sports equipment, stationary.... every thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I was over there last night for the first time.... Holy hell it's HUUUGGGEEE.... regarding the parking, there was no cars there when I was there (at 11pm) but why did they have that big s-shaped road into it... makes it unnecessarily awkward to manouvre into...

Loads of stuff in the store, mp3 players, printers, sports equipment, stationary.... every thing..

has everything.

But I said it to them at the start. Whats up with the race track car park. Has more twists and bends than Mondello, with 70 odd disabled spots near the handy bit. With 2 cars in it at 4pm. Common sense was not the engineers thing I guess

• Advertisement

The car park is a bit of a joke alright. We were trying to get out and parts are so narrow its hard to avoid clipping the kerb. Its not like they were tight on space or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Is it design that way to help prevent queue building up on the main public rd? Also there doesnt seem to be any bus service. The MIL was out there yesterday, looked for a taxi back into town and ended up walking :o

It also seems millenium taxi place has also hit the bullet. I wonder what will happen to all the school bus runs?

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Also there doesnt seem to be any bus service. The MIL was out there yesterday, looked for a taxi back into town and ended up walking :o

I thought the JJKavanagh Naas-Clane service stopped there - the web site says they do http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/images/stories/timetable/Naas-Sallins-Clane.pdf, but they are pretty rare:
    TESCO MONREAD 07.56 am 08.55 am (<-Sat and school holidays only) 09.56 am 10.56 am 11.56 am 12.56 pm 1.56 pm 2.56 pm 4.00 pm 5.04 pm 6.04 pm 7.00 pm

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The bus does stop there. Unfortunately, no one seems to know where on the entry road he'll let you on or off. Might have been helpful is someone put a sign up (and in this weather, a shelter..)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TP4725

Does anyone know if the old Tesco on Blessington Road is still open 24 hours. Hoping to do some shopping later tomorrow evening and dont want to go to new Tesco as it takes too long to get around it?

Thanks

• Advertisement

No its open until I think 10 now.

Oh how I wish they had closed the damn thing down when they opened the new one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    I thought the JJKavanagh Naas-Clane service stopped there - the web site says they do http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/images/stories/timetable/Naas-Sallins-Clane.pdf, but they are pretty rare:

Paddy

That bus has become an absolute joke tbh. Used to be good, but now that they've added on Pipers Hill, some estate in Naas, and Tesco to the route, it's a total farce. The timetable falls into chaos in the evening as the bus gets later and later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Whats up with the race track car park. Has more twists and bends than Mondello

In the retail in Portlaoise it's even worse. There's a roundabout that leads into two >90 degree turns.. on the second one the bushes have been let grow out of the entering side of the road... It must be standard planning to make people slow down :confused::confused:

traffic in Sallins was gridlock heading towards Naas yesterday.
    Osberstown rd junction is even harder to exit now.

The council are going to have to do something.
    Should it be lights, ramps or roundabout.
    The people here are getting more pissed off by the day now. We cant exit our own street anymore without a daring maneuver into oncoming traffic. And only after a 5 min wait.

Its twice as bad as before tesco.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.242507,-6.665734&spn=0,0.002411&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.242507,-6.665734&panoid=-7AU6F28EoBM7gVWQx-YYA&cbp=12,91.19,,0,4.4

To be fair that road was a disgrace even before Tescos opened. Its actually at faster at times to head down the canal and back into Naas that way...

I would love to know how Tescos got permission to open a store that size on what was already one of the busiest roads in Naas at rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I would love to know how Tescos got permission to open a store that size on what was already one of the busiest roads in Naas at rush hour.

So would I. But think Naas Town Council. I assume they made the decision.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    So would I. But think Naas Town Council. I assume they made the decision.

My sister lives in Balbrigan. North Dublin

Even bigger is the Tesco extra being built there..

And its serviced by a country road. Tis mad what goes on. No infrastructural yet big commercial development. It seems back-to front to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

To be fair that road was a disgrace even before Tescos opened. Its actually at faster at times to head down the canal and back into Naas that way...

Yeah that'd be my one gripe. I've actually gone up the N7 and through straffan back to clane at busy times to avoid that road.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Yeah that'd be my one gripe. I've actually gone up the N7 and through straffan back to clane at busy times to avoid that road.

I was hoping no one would advertise that route on the web. There is no advantage anyways.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Strange, I went onto the Tesco.ie website to get directions to the new store and check the opening hours, but there's no mention at all of it whatsoever that I see on the site :confused:

Only the old store is listed, and as 24 hours. No listings at all for any extra stores in the store locator - is this the first extra in Ireland ?

So going by what I have gathered quickly breezing through this thread its in Millenium Park somewhere and 24 hours ?

• Advertisement

Its on the Monread Road, and yup its 24 hours.

farm0.jpg
    Bunch of farmers where there running a muck in the place.
    I was just going in to buy a few tins for the evening and was bombarded with these muppets shouting at the doors. I dont think any of them even bothered to change the cloths they where wearing in at least 3 weeks. They where really dirty.

5 of these big dirty men surrounded a small female shop assistant and proceeded to shout at her in a threating manner. She was quite upset and the Garda where called.

They where claiming Tesco where not selling much Irish chickens. And they where being made poor by it. I was interested in finding the truth . When I approached the meat isle, 90% where Irish chickens.
    ??

They caused heavy disruption
    Most are now going home now in their 2010 Pajero's and Land Rovers.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Everywhere you look there is protests/disputes these days :(.
    I agree they should be heard but don't involve the staff,thats just silly.
    True all the chicken i buy in Tesco is Irish nearly always has been,in fact 80-90% of my grocery shopping is genuine Irish produce,i wouldn't have it any other way.
    Will they be back tomorrow?
    Plenty of spaces for them to park their articulated trucks anyway :D.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm sick of this new Tesco. Since it's opened, I've been 6 times and spent a feckin fortune :D am delighted with it. i've been able to get everything I need and means i no longer need to go to Maynooth. :D big thumbs up from me

Advertisement