Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo Wings in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Bit of a trek, but The Thirsty Bull in Tyrrelstown has their own special buffalo wing menu. Their website also has some video of their hottest wings being tried out by the clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

TGIFridays does good Buffalo wings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Tante Zoe's do very nice wings as well. It's a pretty big starter to share bowl so I usually get it as a main course with a side of corn bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

The Thirsty Bull looksssssssssssssss good !! Can't wait to try it out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 onlyliveonce

elephant & castle, tribeca and Canal Bank cafe all have the same recipe for there wings!! all absolutely AMAZING! and big enough for two people to share aswell if you get a side of chips!

my favourite is canal bank cafe though! the setting is really nice and is great to go with either a group of friends or just as a couple!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 effone

Anvil in Saggart do fantastic buffalo wings. The chilli sauce is a medium on the heat scale - no vinegar! Well worth the trip out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

revz wrote: »
    And people came to the conclusion

Also OP have a look at this thread.

It's really easy to make E&C-style wings at home and they're delicious. Ridiculously so. Here's my adapted recipe from the above thread:
    I just thought I'd add my method - after a few tries, this recipe makes wings as close as I've tasted to E&C's. They're really good.

Chicken Wings, 800g pack
    Butter, 3-4 tablespoons
    Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce (Superquinn), 3-4 tablespoons
    White Wine Vinegar, 1 tablespoon

Use a 15ml tablespoon measure, if using an actual spoon be generous as most aren't 15ml.

Deep fry the wings (skins on) for 10-12 minutes, depending on size, at 180C in clean oil. In a frying pan, melt the butter completely on a low temp, add the white wine vinegar. This will curdle the butter - it will clump together. This gives the coating a batter-like look and texture. Add the sauce, stir to evenly distribute the butter for a few minutes. Add the wings, and turn each one to coat all sides. Shake the pan gently to coat evenly. Leave them in the pan for a few minutes so the sauce coating dries out a little.

Serve with Crème Fraiche as a cooling dip. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Independant Pizza in Drumcondra FTW!!

My mouth is watering just thinking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Sorry to bring up an old thread. but I have a chicken wing problem.

I'm on a never ending quest to try the best chicken wing places in Ireland.

Could anyone tell me if that Thirsty bull place in tyrellstown is still open?

Quick google search didn't reveal anything.

Been to Elephant and castle and tribeca both really good wings but lookin to try others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's still open, but under the name Jack O'Neills and I don't think they do the wings any longer either but you could give them a call and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Anyone tried this place yet? I need reports! Love wings, will travel :)

https://www.facebook.com/wingit.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Could anyone tell me if that Thirsty bull place in tyrellstown is still open?
    not any more as as been said, but don't worry, you didn't miss anything. i've had wings there and they were very disappointing. not particularly meaty and just thrown together without cooking out the sauce properly.
    YumCha wrote: »

they used to have a stall at the irish village markets. i tried their (allegedly) huge portion of wings for €12 and they were like sparrow wings with very little meat on them as well as having been cooked and then reheated which made them dry and chewy and were still cold in places in the middle. the sauce wasn't cooked properly either.

the whole thing was such a disappointment that i complained to irish village markets who called me personally to apologise and were exceptionally nice about the whole thing (very good customer service experience, which is rare these days) and they even sent me out vouchers for two free meals. he forwarded on my email to wingit and the guy said that it was 2 new guys on and that he would sort it and give me free wings the following week and would be there himself to apologise in person.

the following week i got a mail on the day of the market saying they had some technical problems but would be back the week after and that's the last i ever saw or heard from them and i don't think they are at any of the irish village markets at all now, so take from that what you will.

my wife always gives out to me because i can't resist ordering wings whenever we are out, but they are always a disappointment compared to what i make at home but i still keep ordering them in vain hope of getting something decent out. :(

vibe666 wrote: »
    i can't resist ordering wings whenever we are out, but they are always a disappointment compared to what i make at home but i still keep ordering them in vain hope of getting something decent out. :(
    I understand your pain buddy

:'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

vibe666 wrote: »

my wife always gives out to me because i can't resist ordering wings whenever we are out, but they are always a disappointment compared to what i make at home but i still keep ordering them in vain hope of getting something decent out. :(

How do you make them at home? I am intrigued! Sick of being let down by poor wings.

I'd be like yourself, I love the feckers and can't resist ordering them, ordered some in a pub in town a few weeks back. Worst I've ever had! :mad:

How do you make them at home? I am intrigued! Sick of being let down by poor wings.

I'd be like yourself, I love the feckers and can't resist ordering them, ordered some in a pub in town a few weeks back. Worst I've ever had! :mad:
    I like this recipe but i alternate and try out different methods.

They always taste better deep fat fried though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I don't know how hot you like your wings but I like em real hot. Tried most places around town. Best I've had was probably yum on Camden street. Ghost wings. These are VERY hot though. No hot wings I've had come close. Wings cooked to perfection too. Chef makes the sauce fresh according to scale of hotness you've had before.

SFfPYGJOaX

Slunk wrote: »
    I don't know how hot you like your wings but I like em real hot. Tried most places around town. Best I've had was probably yum on Camden street. Ghost wings. These are VERY hot though. No hot wings I've had come close. Wings cooked to perfection too. Chef makes the sauce fresh according to scale of hotness you've had before.

SFfPYGJOaX
    nice one I've been searching for somewhere that'll do wings that are hotter then the standard franks. I'll check this place out

Slunk wrote: »

SFfPYGJOaX

Um I think Yum closed months ago... sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you want amazing chickens wings which are extremely similar to elephant and castle, Buy Franks red hot wings from superquinn. Its a chicken wing sauce imported from the US. Its amazing and is only about €3,30 a bottle and does a few sets of wings

http://www.franksredhot.com/

It comes in a 3.78 liter bottle meaning it is probably being used by restaurants

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franks-RedHot-Original-Cayenne-Pepper/dp/B002L639UY/ref=sr_1_1/275-8507739-3606205?ie=UTF8&qid=1380998440&sr=8-1&keywords=franks+hot+sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

hfallada wrote: »
    If you want amazing chickens wings which are extremely similar to elephant and castle, Buy Franks red hot wings from superquinn. Its a chicken wing sauce imported from the US. Its amazing and is only about €3,30 a bottle and does a few sets of wings

http://www.franksredhot.com/

It comes in a 3.78 liter bottle meaning it is probably being used by restaurants

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franks-RedHot-Original-Cayenne-Pepper/dp/B002L639UY/ref=sr_1_1/275-8507739-3606205?ie=UTF8&qid=1380998440&sr=8-1&keywords=franks+hot+sauce

Probably a really silly question but how hot is Frank's sauce?
    Is it REALLY hot or a heat most people can tolerate?

• Advertisement

Its not that hot. If you want a bit of heat get the little 4x bottles of Frank's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

fussyonion wrote: »
    Probably a really silly question but how hot is Frank's sauce?
    Is it REALLY hot or a heat most people can tolerate?

Its not that hot. Buts it really good on burgers and on cheese sandwiches instead of Mayo. Its really popular with body builders as there is no calories in it.

for starters you need decent sized wings, cut and separated at the joints, or even better, chicken oyster thighs with the bone removed and cut into 3 strips with the skin on for proper boneless 'wings' without them being dry and boring like breast meat as thigh meat and wing meat are almost identical in texture and flavour.

then 1/3 cornflour and 2/3 plain flour in a bowl with any herbs and spices you might like, but a teaspoon of pepper or smoked paprika works well imho. dust your wings/thighs and leave for an hour on a covered tray in the fridge.

now into a deep fat fryer on high until golden brown and whilst they're cooking, drop equal parts of butter and franks original hot sauce into a pan big enough to toss the wings/thighs in afterwards.

personally i use a wok as it's handy for getting the wings coated easily with the sauce.

once that's cooked out to the point where the butter starts to separate and some of the vinegary flavour has come off the franks, throw in your wings and toss to evenly coat before serving with a nice blue cheese or roasted garlic dip.

If you're looking for a recipe - this is the definitive thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1431351
    and the definitive recipe in the definitive thread is the one i posted above.

i've probably more (or at least as many) posts in that thread than anyone else over the years and the recipe above is the culmination of my input into the thread and making wings probably 100 times or more in one way or another to find what works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The were at Oktoberfest last few weeks on Georges Dock and their wings were yummy. Loved the boneless wings in Spitfire sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

Bad bobs claim to have the best chicken wings in temple bar so I decided to try it out and compare them to elephant and castle..... and they were so bloody nice!!!

I went with the bbq sauce wings and they really were delicious. Chrispy and the same size as e&c. They have a starter and a main option (€7 & €11) and 2 choices of sauce (hot and bbq)

As much as I love e&c I will definitely be gong back to bad bobs.... their price and choice of sauce has made them my new favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

A place in Dundrum Shopping Center also does the ghost chili wings. Unbelievably hot.

Just looked it up, place is called cortinas Mexican restaurant. Ghost wings and regular hot wings. I must try them next time I'm out that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Bad bobs claim to have the best chicken wings in temple bar so I decided to try it out and compare them to elephant and castle..... and they were so bloody nice!!!

I went with the bbq sauce wings and they really were delicious. Chrispy and the same size as e&c. They have a starter and a main option (€7 & €11) and 2 choices of sauce (hot and bbq)

As much as I love e&c I will definitely be gong back to bad bobs.... their price and choice of sauce has made them my new favourite!

Bad Bob's have a promo on their wings this October; €3 a bowl of them, according to Facers;

https://www.facebook.com/BadBobsTempleBar

Advertisement