Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

part time working and dole

• 31-05-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,
    im having no luck ringing the local office so ill try here.
    basically, i am a mature student, on hols in between 2 and 3, not entitled to BTEA, got a part time job there for the summer, typically working saturday and sunday nights, then maybe the odd day during the week and the odd night during the week also.
    just wondering am i enetitled to dole for the days im not working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Very likely you could claim as long as not working on more than 3 days (Sundays excluded).

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx

JA Disqualification - course of study

The legislation also provides that a person shall be disqualified from receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance while attending a course of study (including school/college holiday periods), except in such circumstances as may be prescribed. The exceptions to this disqualifications are :

1. persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per above), and
    2. mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.

Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hi, thanks for the link.
    think i should be ok, im 26 and got the jobseekers allowence last summer no hassle, but i wasnt working then whereas now i am.
    is it any 3 days monday to saturday, regardless of the hours each day? ie i might have 4 hours on tues/wednesday/thursday, then maybe saturday night aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

i'm a student on holidays now, I can't get a job as of yet so whats the chances of me being eligible for anything?

i'm a student on holidays now, I can't get a job as of yet so whats the chances of me being eligible for anything?
    as far as i know it depends on ur age, im not too sure of the ins and outs of it, i qualified last year as i was 25 and had credits earned from when i worked before.

papagormo wrote: »
    as far as i know it depends on ur age, im not too sure of the ins and outs of it, i qualified last year as i was 25 and had credits earned from when i worked before.

hmm..i'm 20 in a few weeks, have only had a few sporadic jobs in the past..
    thanks anyway

• Advertisement

hi, thanks for the link.
    think i should be ok, im 26 and got the jobseekers allowence last summer no hassle, but i wasnt working then whereas now i am.
    is it any 3 days monday to saturday, regardless of the hours each day? ie i might have 4 hours on tues/wednesday/thursday, then maybe saturday night aswell.

It can only be up to and including 3 days, regardless of hours. Any earnings for a fourth day (except Sunday) would put you over.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/means-test-for-social-welfare-payments/work-and-jobseekers-allowance

Looks like it would not be possible.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Operational...obseekall.aspx

THIRD LEVEL STUDENTS

(a) Students who have not completed their final year :

Third level students who have not completed their final year at college are disqualified for receipt of JA during the academic term and for the duration of the summer vacation periods. This disqualification also applies to:

* Students pursuing Post Leaving Certificate courses of more than one year's duration;
    * Irish/ EEA students returning from courses abroad; and
    * Non- EEA third level students applying for JA in Ireland.
    Balagan is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

How's it goin!

I'm recently after finishing final year of college - can't get a full time job but I've picked up two days working in a nightclub which isn't enough to cover rent, food etc.

I was looking to collect stamps but was told that I've to have 39 stamps built up - I only have 37 from previous employment, do I still qualify for job seekers allowance?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

PaulieC wrote: »
    How's it goin!

I'm recently after finishing final year of college - can't get a full time job but I've picked up two days working in a nightclub which isn't enough to cover rent, food etc.

I was looking to collect stamps but was told that I've to have 39 stamps built up - I only have 37 from previous employment, do I still qualify for job seekers allowance?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Yes but you need to supply a letter from the college stating you have completed your course.

Balagan wrote: »
    Looks like it would not be possible.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Operational...obseekall.aspx

THIRD LEVEL STUDENTS

(a) Students who have not completed their final year :

Third level students who have not completed their final year at college are disqualified for receipt of JA during the academic term and for the duration of the summer vacation periods. This disqualification also applies to:

* Students pursuing Post Leaving Certificate courses of more than one year's duration;
    * Irish/ EEA students returning from courses abroad; and
    * Non- EEA third level students applying for JA in Ireland.
    Balagan is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

hmm.. so I can get nothing whatsoever?.. i love how in this country we are told education is the key to a better future, but if you cant afford education we won't help you.. I worked in a head shop until last month, ''the man always tryin to keep a playa down!''

• Advertisement

Balagan wrote: »
    It can only be up to and including 3 days, regardless of hours. Any earnings for a fourth day (except Sunday) would put you over.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/means-test-for-social-welfare-payments/work-and-jobseekers-allowance

cheers for that.
    am i getting this correct:
    i add the total number of hours (except sunday) divide by the number of days = average daily earning.
    then minus 20euro from the average daily earning.
    then multiply that by 60%.
    is that it?
    technical.

hi all, right need some help in calculating what im entitled to here!
    can someone break it down in simple maths!
    only worked a few hours this week, 3days and then sunday, calculated it out to be well below the 196 dole, so how do i go about trying to calculate what to expect from the dole office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cheers for that.
    am i getting this correct:
    i add the total number of hours (except sunday) divide by the number of days = average daily earning.
    then minus 20euro from the average daily earning.
    then multiply that by 60%.

No.

If you're on benefit of X then

If you work for 1, 2 or 3 days*, you get (6 minus days worked) / 6 of your benefit. (eg work for 2 days and you get 4/6 of your benefit).

If you work for 4+ days*, you get no benefit at all.

* - exclude Sunday from the count of days

Hours are irrelevant.

(Yes it's crazy. Yes it's the law. Complain to your TD.)

the girl in the office told me id be means tested and the hours worked sunday might be taken into consideration.
    if they calculate the way you calculate it, ill end up with less than the dole per week:eek:..surely they would try to assist someone who clearly doesnt want to be on full time dole in the 1st place:confused:
    the system needs a bit of an overhaul!

so i have applied for casual working assistance, got a letter back from them, in which they query:

(a) they have pointed out in my application that the min wage is 8.65euro per hour, the agreement with my employer is 5euro p/h plus 1.50euro per delivery, so my average wage varies greatly depending on my shift and basically how many orders come in. i averaged it out at 8euro per hour. how am i supposed to prove this? would i be shooting myself in the foot if i submit to them my wage slips?
    (b) in the section "do you live alone" i ticked yes. i rent a room in a student house, the land lady rents it out on a per room basis, i am currently the only person who chose to stay on for the summer and thus the only person living in the house. i submitted a copy of my tenency agreement, so why has the "give details of you lives with you" section marked as unfilled?

i fear they will not believe me, and will not get anything although i first applied nearly 3 weeks ago. if i dont get anything from them, i will be better off going on the dole properly, as my casual hours are not worth it in terms of payment.

Advertisement