Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mondeo 06 with 269k km?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think that is alot of money for a car with that much mileage on it. I'd want it to be alot cheaper than that considering you get about 15 mins to examin the car before the auction and you have no comeback once it is bought.

You could be spending alot of money on it straight away if things like the DMF needs changing, new clutch and/or gearbox could also be on the cards.

To be honest if this one is genuine and has a proven service history, even taking into account the added VRT cost I would see it as a better long term investment imo:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197951723

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

A DMF/Gearbox/Clutch after only 169,000 miles? Really? It does have FSH - I could see if they were replaced already i suupose.

Has anyone bought at auction before? Im going to go for a scouting trip or two before buying there anyway, they have 2 or three other cars Id like anyway, including an XJ8 and a Merc CLK

That mondeo in monaghan looks like a good buy actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Max Power1 wrote: »
    A DMF/Gearbox/Clutch after only 169,000 miles? Really? It does have FSH - I could see if they were replaced already i suupose.

Has anyone bought at auction before? Im going to go for a scouting trip or two before buying there anyway, they have 2 or three other cars Id like anyway, including an XJ8 and a Merc CLK

That mondeo in monaghan looks like a good buy actually!

DMF are known to need replacing at 100k miles onwards afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

We've currently got a few 06 Mondeo's on fleet at the minute - most have around 200-250k on the clock, but one has 325k.

They are all constantly in the garage getting turbos/clutches/flywheels/gearboxes/wheel bearings/driver seats/ steering racks/aircon units/one needs a new wiring loom too.

Its a bottomless pit at the minute with these cars. I'd try to steer clear if it were me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Drummerboy08,

You seem to be in the know regarding fleet vehicles. What would you recommend as a good model to look out for with high (150k+) on the clock?
    A lot more are coming up for auction these days..

Always curious about these types of cars. A rep has to be on the road at all costs or they are not doing their job so they need a good reliable car.
    Most companies know this and tend to maintain them without cost (within reason of course) so whats a good former rep mobile to pick up?

Tox

• Advertisement

DMF on a 2005 Mondeo I had the pleasure of having when I was on the road went at 25 K km or something. Wouldn't touch a Mondeo with that sort of miles on it. Also that one is a hatch with wheel covers and looks to be the low spec 90bhp one, dirt really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The Dad has an 06 90bhp LX Steel Mondeo was similar mileage(ex fleet).

Not needed a clutch, turbo, DMF or injectors - worst that's happened in the 150,000km's in two years since he got it was the original battery dying.

Although it does need a power steering belt.

PS: I wouldn't be put off by a 90bhp tdci, it doesn't feel noticeably slower than the 115 version, and if you want it's cheap as chips to get it remapped.

My 2005 90bhp was awful compared to the 115bhp ones I drove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Drummerboy08,

You seem to be in the know regarding fleet vehicles. What would you recommend as a good model to look out for with high (150k+) on the clock?
    A lot more are coming up for auction these days..

Always curious about these types of cars. A rep has to be on the road at all costs or they are not doing their job so they need a good reliable car.
    Most companies know this and tend to maintain them without cost (within reason of course) so whats a good former rep mobile to pick up?

Tox

I do the same type of thing as Drummerboy (just a lot better :p), and more or less any car at that mileage is going to give you issues. The only things we have on fleet with that type of mileage that don't have engine issues are Merc Sprinters (all other issues, but the engines keep going).

About the only ones that don't cost a fortune when they get to around the 200,000km marque are the Octavia 1.9Tdi's. Clutch gets a bit stiff, but apart from that they usually just keep going.

There were two different 90bhp diesels, one direct injection and one common rail(the latter with substantially increased torque). No idea when the TDCi replaced the TDDi though.

90ps TDDi: 210 N-M torque @ 3015rpm
    90ps TDCi: 245 N-M @ 2582rpm
    115ps TDCi: 285 N-M @ 2826rpm

As you can see, a big difference between old and new.

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    There were two different 90bhp diesels, one direct injection and one common rail(the latter with substantially increased torque). No idea when the TDCi replaced the TDDi though.

I remember the honest John / TopGear brigade were trying to tell me a TDDi never existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

for a 2.0 turbo diesel, that looks really underpowered...

In bhp terms it's not out of the way, VWs 1.9 was also 90bhp in boggo td guise. Toyota D4D wasn't much better. Over 200NM of torque isn't less than one would expect either.

I agree the 90bhp Mondeo is underpowered though, I remember having to go to first gear on some very steep inclines that I thought she would pootle up in 2nd.

It actually isn't.
    The 01-05 BMW 320D engine only puts out 330 N-m of torque, and that's 148bhp.
    The TDCi Mondeo engines are more usable day to day, despite the noise and low max power as they have high torque at low rpm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It actually isn't.
    The 01-05 BMW 320D engine only puts out 330 N-m of torque, and that's 148bhp.
    The TDCi Mondeo engines are more usable day to day, despite the noise and low max power as they have high torque at low rpm.
    yes?

:P

Just sayin'

Stick with beemers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just sayin'

Stick with beemers :D

no thanks :D

Advertisement