Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC brings misery to the midlands

• 31-05-2010 11:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

...if you are eircom that is. They have provided some clarity on what they are up to in the midlands this year.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/16400/comms/fibre-broadband-makes-its-way-to-irelands-midlands
    Major regional towns Sligo, Mullingar, Athlone, Newbridge, Carlow and Portlaoise are set to benefit from investment. For all except Portlaoise, where rival operator Magnet provides fibre services, this will be their first taste of true broadband

According to UPC’s scheduled rollout, 8,000 homes in Sligo, 7,000 in Mullingar and 7,000 in Newbridge are already capable of accessing the services. A further 7,000 people in Athlone, 9,000 in Carlow and 7,000 in Portlaoise will be connected in the coming weeks.

Confusingly I am not sure whether that means homes or people, 9,000 people in Carlow would be c.3,500 homes and that is the more likely figure.

In typical UPC style they give no information whatsoever on what/where they are up to next. How about Tullamore or Ballinasloe ....or Athy and Ennis which have the slowest broadband of any major Irish towns and UPC cable too ????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

yeah that people's home's part is confusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Maybe they should finish the upgrades in Dublin first so I don't have to keep waiting to get it :mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maybe they should finish the upgrades in Dublin first so I don't have to keep waiting to get it :mad::mad::mad:

No, they should finish Galway first. They started that in 2002 and still haven't finished the upgrade. As for Dublin :D They started that in 1998. But Galway is smaller and more doable.

They have about 300,000 homes to upgrade nationwide and are looking like finishing the job at their current level of activity c end 2014. Be patient!!!

what about the boggers? when will they get proper broadband~?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what about the boggers? when will they get proper broadband~?

Expect a press release about their plans in Munster any day soon :D

• Advertisement

stuck with 3 Wifi modem getting 0.5 mb/s

****ing joke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPC working very nice near Barracks in Limerick City.

I doubt they'll get as far as here (7km west outside boundary)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I am in new bridge and can only get mmds no cable in half of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

same here in tullamore. just on the outskirts of town(ie the new estates that came with the celtic tiger) but upc havent even started upgrading the cable in town. all the roofs have mmds aerials on them and my estate wont ever have cable as they didnt bother to lay it when the houses were been built.
    I would love to have the opportunity to get the upc triple service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CircusIntro

No misery in most of Athlone , UPC 20MB in a triple play pack flying it :) ,

• Advertisement

No misery in most of Athlone , UPC 20MB in a triple play pack flying it :) ,

dislike!

have to rub it in? ;)

Advertisement