Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGC Birmingham 2010 War stories

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

I'm totally stealing this idea from other sites (such as Pokémon World), but feck it. Up here us attendees shall (hopefully) post up our side of the VGC story with photos and video links.

Here's mine :)

Friday night I spend glueing, sticking and preparing a portfolio for Tuesday morning. I also prepared a Pokécake for nibbles and had some time online and packed my Pikabag and pugged in my phone and DSi. I got to bed for about 11.30-12.00 after doing all that and prepared my Pokéwalker and preping the two HGSS game I got from friends for getting the Shiny Eevee. Buzz used REST.

My alarm goes off at 2.50am and I excitedly lie in bed (I was excited but cold) until around 3.10am or so. Get up, dress, eat. I got to brush my teeth and hear rain. Change to waterproof hi-tops, put on bright pink rain jacket and head to the Aircoach stop for about 3.40am. Aircoach arrives at around 4.05-4.10am. I attemp to snooze again.

Just as the bus is getting in I get a text from Shane (Atavan-Halen) saying he's in the airport. I got up to the foodcourt, trip on the stairs going up, bruising my knee, but that's not going to stop me :rolleyes:. I meet Atavan, we get coffee, and Cian (CianRyan) and his girlfriend Niamh (Is that correct? Please correct me if I am wrong) who came for moral support. I help Shane to evolve his Munchlax, stuff drugs and Rare Candies down his neck. We all link Pokéwalkers. Both Shane and I finish our team sheets while Cian tries to finish up the Elite Four. We wait until about 5.40am in case anyone else comes and head for security.

Security was OMG. They closed one of the security sections and everyone from Dublin poured into the one section. I have never seen it so bad before, but it being Dublin Airport, onr thing they are good at is sorting through security queues. It takes us about 10-15 minutes to get through. Once we are through we head straight to the gate, we do not pass GO and we do not collect €100.

As we got the to gate, I stand in queue and ring Dermot (Elekid). Turns our Dermot and Anto (freyaplus) are already in the queue (and higher up), so we sneak over to them. I also ring Alan (SamIamNot), who was panicing as the gate number was not on the screen. He then uses the fasted known EXTREMESPEED in the world (were you Choice Scarfed or something?) and some how manages to get to us before the plane starts to board. We all link Pokéwalkers and get free items.

On the plane Cian asks me to have a look through his Boxes to find Epic Pokémon to VGC (Cian has not settled on a team), his DS gets passed to me. I sort through and put what I see as the top pick (Natures, and IVs) into a separte box. I pass back the DS and Cian turns it off, unknowning that I did not save it :pac::pac::pac:. We laugh and I do it again as I want everyone to have a fighting chance ^_^.

We our plane lands we do the standard landing proceedure of bathrooms and getting money before proceeded to the Fart Train with a Demand botton (now dubbed the Boards.ies Rollercoaster). We manage to get a car all to ourselves and Cian does the most Epic pole dance and spin I have ever seen. The ride is over far to soon and we begin to travel to the NEC. It is now about 8.30am and our bellies are getting hungry.

Our plan was to locate the VGC stand, then back track for brekkie and then go back to the VGC. On the way Shane (I think) spots some people with DSes at the Subway. We go over and start chatting. We move tables together and learn that they got a train from some part of the UK (sorry it's all the same to me) that took longer that our flight from Dublin. We get our brekkie at Subway and continue to chat, link Pokéwalkers and swap emails (I have all those details but not with me right now, when I am back in Dublin I will pass on all the information). They are really nice people despite being super tired and some not actually sleeping the night before.

At around 9.00-9.15am us Boards.ies and UK folks (about 6 of them) head out to find VGC. We follow the signs for the Pavillion (not the one in Swords mind you), and end up getting directed outside the NEC. We are all WTF? until we find a map that informs us the the Pavillion is outside the NEC. Cue slow motion walk and wind swept hair as we close in on the Pavillion. In my head I'm thinking that there wouldn't be anyone there and we can walk straight in, oh boy was I wrong. There is a HUGE queue lined up neatly with a mix of Juniors and Seniors.

The UK folks leave us at this stage and plan to come back later. We start queueing so we can get to know the lay of the land. In the queue I start chatting to lots of random people (I have not shame, bear in mind I am wearing a Pikachu Hoodie) and linking Pokéwalkers like there is no tommorrow. At this stage of Pokéwalker linking we are all getting between 30-99 free Watts PER link up. So I am of course going to ask everyone if they have their Pokéwalker. Old faces from last year's VGC remember me including Robbie (Pokérob, the owner of Pokémon World and a Belgium player who I'm pretty sure took me out at Paris last year. He came with a group of other Belgium players including the winner of London's Juniors (who is going for Juniors this year again). Now THAT's dedication!

At around 9.30am the doors open and we start to move in, once inside the line breaks off into spectators and Junior registration. We move inside and chat, visit bathroom, buy snacks at the Subway or random mini coffee shop. Us Boards.ies meld into the crowd. I don't remember a lot of what went on a this time other that lots more Pokéwalker linking up, but one of the people I linked with turned out to be our our Cat (cat_rant) partner of our own Nick (El Nick). Turns out Little Nick was playing in the Juniors. Let Little Nick tell his story El Nick!!

After Junior registration had finished at around 11.00-11.30am it was annonced the Seniors could start queueing for registration. Shane goes to queue with Cian, Niamh, Dermot and Anto (Alan was hiding) while I quickly pop to the ladies. When I come out of the ladies (I was only about a minute in there) they queue is the length of the venue. I sneak though and find the Boards.ies, so glad that they are there to hold me a spot. The queue is eventually moved outside. We kill the time chatting, holding the nerves and Pokéwalker linking. It wasn't all that bad really. Eventually the line moves back into the venue.

Again time is killed in the most kind way. I did get interviewed for a site that I think is called Videogames.com, I did make a note of the site, but I don't have my notes with me right now. At some point in the queue we sit down and I share out my Pokécake. There is 12 slices of Pokécake, 11 of which are Pokéballs and of course there is one Premier Ball, because for every 10 Pokéballs you get a Premier Ball as an added Bonus.

As soon as the Juniors final is over the registartion for Seniors starts moving. The nerves kick in as I move up and get the registration started. I am asked for my team sheet, age, Date of Birth and proof that my game is a European copy. Then I am off to the fight queue and the real nerves kick in.

My first battle was against some random guy who didn't talk to anyone. I shook his hand and just asked him for a good match. Unfortually for him, I totally sweep him without taking a single hit. My opening Weavile and Metagross (Iron), owned on his opening two. His third Pokémon Charizard attemped to use Overheat on my Metagross, but a well timed Protect spoiled his fun. Iron switches out to Palkia (Ryuunosuke), his Charizard flies up high. His final Pokémon Mewtwo is ripped to shreads by Weavile's Night Slash as Ryuunosuke grins uncontollably as he unleashes a perfect Thunder that sends this guy packing. See you next year!

Progressing into the second round, I am playing against a Pokémon World player with Pokérob playing next door to me. Formalities of hand shaking a promises of a good match over we begin. My lead Weavile and Metagross do the best they can but the match turns sour for me. My Zapdos Avis is doing me proud outspeeding his Zapdos. I keep my cool and eventaually he sends out his final Pokémon Hippowdon. At this stage I have Avis still going strong and Ryuunosuke on full health. Knowing full well that Hippowdon hates Special Attacks I command Ryuunosuke to Spacial Rend him a new @ss hole. Ryuuonosuke destroys the Hippo and it's all over for my opponent, as Avis outspeeds his last Pokémon a very dented Zapdos. I move on, but am a bag of nerves with how close that match came.

Moving to the third round I ask for Arceus to watch over me for this is where I fell last year at both London and Paris. Although not regilious I beginning blessing myself, the sweat dripping off my face and palms. My nerves are building as we do the fomalities and begin. Opening as always with Weavile and Iron, he has Scizor and Lugia. It turns out his Lugia is "The Great Wall of China" and is busy Roosting or Light Screening while Weavile Fake Outs Scizor and Iron ice punches Lugia (I'm guessing it wasn't going to attack). Moving on in turns I switch in Avis who destroys Scizor with a single Heat Wave, I am ignoring Lugia as it's doing it's status uppers. He sends out JUAN SHEET the Ludicolo, he laughs saying "because Juan Sheet does plenty". I stay focused on the match, I can't be distracted by anything, I have to prove to myself that I CAN progress pass the third round. Avis drops a well timed Subsitute, which absorbs Juan Sheet's Blizzard, Avis's Partner (I can't remember who is was, it was possibly Iron) smacks Juan Sheet HARD, Lugia is just Roosting away in the corner getting quite miffed at being ignored. Avis drops another Subsitute utterly annoying my opponent "damn that sub!" he cries as Juan Sheet falls to the final blow leaving Lugia with a pityful Aeroblast to finish up Avis and Ryuuonsuke. You can guess how that went for him. The emotions running high with me as I don't know weither to cry tears of joy or scream in sheer pleasure as I've just beaten my fear and progressed to the Winner's Lounge!

I'm congratulated by the staff but I'm so stunned nothing sinks in right. I'm told to move over to a desk where me lanyard of wins is taken and my team is legit checked by staff. The legit checker looks at my team and looks again. I know what's up, my event WORLDS Weavile is causing me trouble. If anyone on my party would I knew he would. She calls over the Pokemon Inc rep who looks at the party. He askes about the Weavile, I tell him it's the World's Weavile event from last year's VGC finals. He looks at it again, and then looks up at me and smiles, saying his legit check didn't know it as it came up as wrong move set. I am baffled that the official legit check didn't know a year old event Pokémon, but glad that the Weavile that was doing me so proud was 100% legit. My game card is taken and sealed up as I'm given a yellow wrist band and told to come back for 4.00pm.

I leave the Winner's Lounge and reconnect with the fallen Boards.ies. Proud that I have achieved an entrance to the finals. I get a Subway nom and eat, I am starving at this point, while I mix in with the crowd and recall my battles. As I am finishing my Sub, the annouchment for Finallists is called and I stuff my sambo into my mouth as players as wishing me well.

In the Winner's Lounge I meet with the other players to form the final 32. Pokérob is there, so is one of the UK players we met earlier, so is the Belgian player and the guy I took out in the first round in London last year. Our game cards are given back and we are warned that we open the packages we weill be disqualified. Again my emotions are building as the final 32 are lead to the game boxes. The annoucer is building the crowd up. I shake hands with my opponent again asking only for a good match. At this stage I am so emotional but I just try to keep my nerve, ignoring everything else in the world. Our games are opened by an official and we start.

My usual opening stands, with Weavile and Iron. He has something and Breloom. I think Breloom = Poison Heal, Poison Heal = Win. Weavile Fake Outs Breloom while Iron Protects. Breloom's Effect Spore triggers and this throws me as Weavile gets paralysed. Weavile is dead to me and from there on, Iron becomes a dead weight. I put up a good fight, but his Choice Scarf Palkia with the best luck in Fire Blast finishes me off. I'm both releaved that I no longer have the nerves of being the only Irish left in, but also disapointed that my adventure ends in Top 32. I save the match video ready to be posted up to Youtube when I get the chance.

Handing back my lanyarn I rejoin the crowd, pleased with my progression and glad I did everyone proud. We watch the finals and enjoy the rest of the day. I'm going to finish up here as I have been typing for almost 2 and a half hours straight. I hope you enjoyed reading my story and will post your own if you have one. I will post up the photos and video when I can.

Mairéad out :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

^ Excellent write-up, and you did us all proud! (I think the interview was with videogamer.com btw, we should keep an eye out for it)

For my part, I got knocked out in the first round *sniffle*.

On the 1st turn my opponents Weavile flinched my Zapdos with Fake Out, so I never got to give my team their speed boost with Tailwind. My plan to use an exploding Lickilicky on the 2nd turn failed epicly, as he switched from Abomasnow to Giratina and his Weavile held on with a Focus Sash. I thought things might turn around for me as our Giratinas got into a Shadow Force war, and I could sense he was starting to panic when he realised my slower Giratina was going to get the kill. Unfortunately his Palkia came next to destroy my Giratina with Spacial Rend and my Electivire and weakened Zapdos were no match for his Abomsnow/Palkia combo after that.

I saved the video so I'll see if I can put it up tonight. I kept an eye on the guy who defeated me and he made it to the final 8, so I don't feel too bad about losing to him. If I could go back and play the battle again I would do it all so differently, but it was a great learning experience and a lot of fun just taking part. I'll be a lot more prepared next year!

(Edit: I did mange to win the last slice of Pokécake in our mini-tournament at the airport, so that was something!)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

elekid wrote: »
    ^ Excellent write-up, and you did us all proud! (I think the interview was with videogamer.com btw, we should keep and eye out for ir)
    Thanks for that, hey look it's us! I can't find the video yet though....
    31769_414644872232_507592232_4950752_2652411_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'll start off with the pictures.

Terribly tired, on the plane on the way over. Niamh(GirlOfGlass), thought it would be a great idea to start taking pictures of me.
    32556_1425859736740_1540176569_31020428_2591198_n.jpg

We arrive in Birmingham and head for the train, wow, It was more of a bus/roller coaster.
    I decided to entertain every one with my amazing poll dancing and super human strength.
    32556_1425859976746_1540176569_31020431_1831540_n.jpg
    32556_1425860016747_1540176569_31020432_6202694_n.jpg

Alas, the shiny Gyarados behind me used hyper beam and my dragon dance was over.
    32556_1425860216752_1540176569_31020435_5969086_n.jpg

After a trip to the Pokécenter, I finally decide on a team of Pseudo Legendaries and a Heatran thrown into the backlog just incase.
    32556_1425860256753_1540176569_31020436_2971286_n.jpg

As Buzz described, we eventually found our way to the event.
    A picture will speak louder than words.
    32556_1425860296754_1540176569_31020437_4764079_n.jpg

My dream came through and I finally got to meet my hero.
    The day just got epic.
    32556_1425860616762_1540176569_31020441_2996514_n.jpg

After some mingling, we all settled down for some cake. I fallowed this by making a mess of some one's team in the queue for registration. Nice guy but he hadn't a chance... I started to get cocky.
    Here's the famous cake.
    32556_1425860976771_1540176569_31020447_3357166_n.jpg

Cian VS Little Girl... We'll get to that later.
    32556_1425861016772_1540176569_31020448_7424405_n.jpg

After all was said and done we set out for final pictures, but this kid nearly killed out dreams.
    His attack on Chikorita was super effective.
    32556_1425861256778_1540176569_31020452_2067913_n.jpg

Luckily though, he pulled through... If only for a few minutes.
    We got a Picture.
    32556_1425861456783_1540176569_31020455_7921089_n.jpg

Totodile attacks Buzz.
    32556_1425861496784_1540176569_31020456_3066510_n.jpg

But Pleases me. ;D
    32556_1425861536785_1540176569_31020457_5094841_n.jpg

And of course, Shane and I in the finals... :rolleyes:
    32556_1425861576786_1540176569_31020458_6991328_n.jpg

No more pictures after that I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Oh and yes, the battle...

MY plan was to open up with Magnezone and Tyranitar to trigger a sandstorm.
    After that, my first move was a Megnet Rise and to swicth out my Tyranitar for Garchomp who was holding Bright Powder and of course under the marvellous Sand Veil making him very difficult to hit.

Alas, the little girl threw out a Blaziken who was going to be a lot faster than my Magnezone but I knew he could take what was inevitably coming, a black kick. Thanks to Magnezone's great defence he was only taken down to about half healt, Magnezone goes up and waits.
    Her other first choice was a Palkia... Every one there heard me complain about this for hours afterwards.
    It was to risky to switch out for Garchomp, so I opted for Protect while Magnezone was going up.

I just didn't have the speed after this.
    Magnezone fell to another Blaze Kick, Tyranitar ripped Blaziken apart with one smooth Stone Edge only to be taken out by a blistering Special Rend.

I was down two, she was down one.
    Out come Garchomp and Metagross.
    Bang, Special Rend and Garchomp is gone, out come Lugia who was hit hard by a blistering Meteor Mash, but it just wasn't enough. On the next turn Metagross took the full hit fro both Pokémon.
    Queue Extrasensory and Special rend... My match was over.
    Beaten by a fcuking Palkia with a Great Wall Of China standing between me and victory.

Beaten by a little girl.
    I was out of the Championship in the first round. Beaten, Bruised but not fallen.
    I held my head high, congratulated the girl and made my way over to the stadium exit.

After this though, I was straight over to Subway to boost my energy and rest my Pokémon. As soon as we were ready, I was straight into the Battle room on the DS to rip apart any opponent.
    I was beaten by two and over came about 6.
    Me and Shane then decided to team up and while out two English guys in a double battle.
    After a lot of looking aound, they found us and we all battled side by side.
    There was a lot of fun in not knowing who you're up against and just throwing everything at them.

I came second in the Cake Champion ship, demanded a rematch(with out a chance of getting the cake) and exploded with my Pokémon falling last. The game said it was a draw but I felt like it was a victory... In vain, mind you.

I could go on and on, and talk about our epic Eevee battle, but I'll leave that for some one else.

Great day had and I really hope I can make the next event with my new team. If not, I'll be hitting hard next year.

TEAM BOARDS 2O11!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Congrats guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

My team strategy involves me starting with Groudon and Cressalia. Groudon's Drought plays a big part in the strength of my team and all my Pokemon have either strong Fire moves, Solarbeam, Moonlight or Sunny Day as part of their moveset. My other two are Garchomp and Ho-oh so I also have Earthquake and flying/Levitate working in my favourite.

I start my battle with Groudon and Cresselia. My opponent uses Azelf and another Pokemon I can't remember. All I could think was Azelf = Explosion. The first turn Earthquake takes out the Pokemon I can't remember before it attacks and Cresselia does moderate Ice Beam damage to Azelf. Azelf uses Stealth Rock

Turn two Palkia is sent out by my opponent. Another back and forth of moves and my Groudon is down.

Turn three. I send out Garchomp. Garchomp does good damage to Palkia and then BOOM. Azelf exploded. Garchomp and Cresselia go down as do the opponents Palkia. The field is clear.

Turn Four. My opponent sends out Mewtwo. I send out Ho-Oh. Disaster immediately as Stealth Rock takes half of Ho-Oh's health. I use Flamethrower which thanks to Drought takes 3/4 of Mewtwo's health. Mewtwo uses Thunder Wave. I'm paralysed. Ho-Oh restores health with Shell Bell

Turn Five. Mewtwo uses Recover. Ho-oh is paralysed. Noooo

Turn Six. Mewtwo uses Psychic. Ho-oh health goes from green to yellow to red to nothing left. It's over.........except Ho-Oh' s Special Defense fell?? Ho-Oh survives with one hit point! Ho-oh uses Flamethrower. Mewtwo is down. I've won! Onto the orange zone

My second battle is against Pokerob that Buzz mentioned. I had no idea who he was but he was good. I again lead with Groudon and Cresselia. He sends out Weavile and Abomasnow. I think this can go two ways. Drought will take precedence and I can destroy those two easily or Snow Warning takes effect and I am in trouble. Sure enough the hail wins. I damage Weavile and Abomasnow but not enough and Groudon and Cresselia go down.

Garchomp and Ho-oh come out and my opponent switches over to Metagross and Giratina. I do damage to his Pokemon but not enough. Ho-oh is down, Giratina vanishes and the returning Shadow Force knocks out Garchomp and my Pokemon VGC run is over.

Interestingly Pokerob has also posts about this match and this is what he said.

"Round 2
    Ok I new this guy had an idea on what to do he lead with cresselia and groudon. although he played it in a very creative way which is what I loved about him. now I'm thinking this was a trick room team gone wrong as he didn't use helping hand or protect but instead used eruption. I faked out his cress. and his groudon was wrecked by my blizzard holding on with a focus sash. and he used eruption which is what I said earlier. I was so nervous and seeing how one of my leads was 4x weak to fire I was so nervous. I only remembered once it hit and did diddly squat that it was the same as water spout! and I was cool as a cucumber the whole way through after that and beat him once again 4-0"

The only thing is my Groudon is actually holding a Lum Berry and my Cresselia was holding the Focus Sash which failed to do anything.

I was delighted to get to the second round. I picked my team weeks ago and made no changes to them and they worked out quite well for me.

freyaplus wrote: »
    All I could think was Azelf = Explosion.
    Mama Buzz taught you well
    and then BOOM. Azelf exploded.
    As they do as soon as the Focus Sash triggers they go BOOM!
    Turn Six. Mewtwo uses Psychic. Ho-oh health goes from green to yellow to red to nothing left. It's over.........except Ho-Oh' s Special Defense fell?? Ho-Oh survives with one hit point! Ho-oh uses Flamethrower. Mewtwo is down. I've won!
    Holy Fock! Ho-oh rises from the dead to get your win, that is the luckiest thing in the world. I bet that shook you though.
    My second battle is against Pokerob that Buzz mentioned. I had no idea who he was but he was good.
    If I point people out then you get scared 'cause I'm scared even pointing them out

Well done though, you did great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Well done ye mighty warriors :) sounds like an epic event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Here's an article I wrote about it

elekid wrote: »
    Here's an article I wrote about it
    Great article, I've posted it up on my Facebook to share it with some of the UK players that may never find it otherwise, I hope you don't mind ^_^

• Advertisement

Advertisement