Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UK flights from Shannon

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Good news this morning, Aer Arann are to operate 4 new flights to UK from July on behalf of Aer Lingus Regional- daily to Glasgow and Manchester and 6 weekly (except saturday) to Bristol and Birmingham.

Bookable on aerlingus.com from wednesday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Oh Sweet. I just started a job in Glasgow and have been travelling to Dublin to fly with Aer Lingus / Aer Arann to Glasgow. This will be so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bristol and birmingham are very handy for me, sweet!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shannon desperately needed this new business. Delighted.

Not so sure about flying in ATR's though.

The Aer Fungus regional one out of Dublin is noisy but grand. It is a bit creepy when you are sitting right next to the propeller because if it sheared off it would cut right through you. Okay the crashing plane would also kill you but you know what I mean. :confused:

You load from the back door and I made the mistake the first time of selecting a seat at the front door and was last off. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Very happy that I will be able to fly to Birmingham again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Am thrilled to its, as my partner in living in Scotland and travelling has been really difficult since the Shannon Prestwick flight was dropped. I was talking to someone from Aer Lingus this afternoon and she said the Shannon Glasgow flight was going via Dublin so will be Shannon-Dublin and then Dublin-Glasgow. I have my fingers crossed that the flight times are during the middle of the day rather than really early or really late

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

They're grand unless you're landing in high winds, I was touching cloth that day i can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ellieh1 wrote: »
    I was talking to someone from Aer Lingus this afternoon and she said the Shannon Glasgow flight was going via Dublin so will be Shannon-Dublin and then Dublin-Glasgow. I have my fingers crossed that the flight times are during the middle of the day rather than really early or really late

:confused: Are these not non-stop flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Flew to Cardiff from Dublin before and back in one, never never again

Flew to Cardiff from Dublin before and back in one, never never again

why?

• Advertisement

foinse wrote: »
    They're grand unless you're landing in high winds, I was touching cloth that day i can tell you.

this is our new route for the stag.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

zuroph wrote: »
    why?

It was horrible tbh,the weather was terrible and I was quite hungover aswell.
    I never felt so uneasy in a plane,felt better getting up in a plane knowing I was gonna jump out at 14,000 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It was horrible tbh,the weather was terrible and I was quite hungover aswell.
    I never felt so uneasy in a plane,felt better getting up in a plane knowing I was gonna jump out at 14,000 ft
    Not many things worse than being stuck on a flight with a monster hungover. An outside seat near the toilet is a must.

This letter from yesterdays Times on Shannon Airport.
    John Stafford is wrong ("Shannon could soar as a stopover", Think Tank, last week). Shannon is in the middle of nowhere on an island off the coast of Europe.
    It has spent close to nothing on passenger amenities over the past 40 years. It is far from all big cities (and infrastructure) bar Limerick, which most Irish folks avoid.
    A better idea would be to build a new airport in the midlands - close to Athlone. A further issue is the role of trade unions: look how much opportunity and how many jobs have been lost in the Irish airline industry because nobody would do extra work, adhere to productivity agreements or start at reduced pay. Stafford is barking up a long dead tree.

Maui Pete, Pompano Beach, Florida

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Aidric wrote: »

John Stafford is wrong ("Shannon could soar as a stopover", Think Tank, last week). Shannon is in the middle of nowhere on an island off the coast of Europe.
    It has spent close to nothing on passenger amenities over the past 40 years. It is far from all big cities (and infrastructure) bar Limerick, which most Irish folks avoid.
    A better idea would be to build a new airport in the midlands - close to Athlone. A further issue is the role of trade unions: look how much opportunity and how many jobs have been lost in the Irish airline industry because nobody would do extra work, adhere to productivity agreements or start at reduced pay. Stafford is barking up a long dead tree.

LOL and Athlone is the centre of somewhere? Pure rubbish tabloid journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

sweeeeet, so glad there'll be a bristol flight. wonder how pricey they will be. if they are a lot more than ryanair, i will probably still end up bus-ing it to dublin and flying from there.

lol, what a load of rubbish. The airport is about to be connected to Galway limerick tipp and further by direct motorway, and has spent a fortune in renovating and upgrading, the airport is one of the most comfortable I've ever travelled through.

Does anyone know when these flights will be able to be booked online?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

From tomorrow Wednesday on Aerlingus.com

zuroph wrote: »
    lol, what a load of rubbish. The airport is about to be connected to Galway limerick tipp and further by direct motorway, and has spent a fortune in renovating and upgrading, the airport is one of the most comfortable I've ever travelled through.
    I reckon the letter was either written by a disgruntled passenger who had their flight cancelled or an ex-employee with a hefty chip on their shoulder.

• Advertisement

:confused: Are these not non-stop flights?

I spoke to my brother this morning who works in the airport and he said they are direct flights after I floated the notion about the connecting in Dublin.

I told my new boss today about these flights and he was happy for me to use Shannon instead. Great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Berty wrote: »
    I spoke to my brother this morning who works in the airport and he said they are direct flights after I floated the notion about the connecting in Dublin.

Yeah thought as much- if you were to fly to Glasgow before now you'd have to connect in Dublin, perhaps what previous poster was on about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Anyone able to book these yet? I can't find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Aerlingus.com. They are not loaded on the main site yet but go to Aerlingus.com
    then click on "Book" at the top left corner of site, they are bookable there.

lasno wrote: »
    Aerlingus.com. They are not loaded on the main site yet but go to Aerlingus.com
    then click on "Book" at the top left corner of site, they are bookable there.

Thanks a mill for the tip, have just booked my Shannon to Glasgow flight and am chuffed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I reckon the letter was either written by a disgruntled passenger who had their flight cancelled or an ex-employee with a hefty chip on their shoulder.

Auntie Mary (of Brian Lenihan) wrote that letter. She has fcuk all else to do since Biffo sent her back to Athlone without her Garda driver:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

"It is far from all big cities (and infrastructure) bar Limerick, which most Irish folks avoid."

Charming.

Advertisement