Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i eligible to move to the US full time?

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You can't just get a greencard, no.
    You do have options though, such as the diversity visa lottery (qualification doesn't come into that), you can try for a work visa (must find an employer to sponsor you- difficult in today's climate with plenty of Americans out of work, but your psotgrad in computers is definitely a plus), or try for a student visa (if you can afford the fees). The J1 is only if you are studying or have graduated within a year, so doesn't sound suitable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Yes the lottery is random.
    You can go over on the visa waiver program for a max of 90 days to look for work, go to interviews etc, but must return and wait until the work visa is granted. Depending on the visa type and time of year this may take a few weeks or a few months. Many employers won;t want to go through the hassle of applying for a work visa for you.

BTW, another option would be to try and find work with an international company in Ireland, and then see if they'll transfer you. I know Google does that regularly, and HP used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's what my brother did 15 years ago and he's still over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

To get a work visa your potential employer has to prove to the US immigration department that there arent any americans available for the same job, which is a fair amount of paperwork and time.

And consider that unemployment in the US is now over 10%, which means there's many many ameicans desperate for that job.

So if you're expecting the streets paved with gold forget it.

I would have thought the lottery is a far better bet.

EDIT: Oops. SOrry, I reread your post and you mention in the next 2-3 years. Much better. I'm sure things will have picked up by then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

what if he falls in love in that 90 days and gets married in vegas lol?
    can he stay then?

argosy2006 wrote: »
    what if he falls in love in that 90 days and gets married in vegas lol?
    can he stay then?

Possibly, as long as he can prove to USCIS (= the government) that he had no intention of immigrating when he arrived, and that the relationship is genuine (see the movies The Proposal and Green Card for examples of interviews); they are very strict and also may visit your home in the USA and abroad. If you fail, it's a lifetime ban for the foreigner, and possibly (though rarely) jail for the US citizen. Also, you cannot work during the application process.

You are better off returning home and applying for a spousal visa; this takes about 5-8 months, but is easier to get and leads to immediate greencard (and thus ability to work) upon immigrating.

Advertisement