Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lots of infrared talk lately

• 31-05-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭

I very rarely make new posts here but noticed a bit of talk recently about infrared photography. It's one of my passions and below are a few examples of my recent shots. If anyone has any questions about my processing or general IR tips, ask away.

BF5BA401924143BEACFA33F382934336-800.jpg

2892D68AD02D408F9D48725DADB9E448-800.jpg

81BD45D2651042C69FA841EEBB63CB57-800.jpg

FA96EE5C221847F1B26EC12EC304C00C-800.jpg

All where taken with a Hoya R72 filter on my Nikon D50 and 50mm f/1.8 lens. A custom white balance was taken of the grass in direct sunlight. This eliminates the red hue you would get otherwise but it doesn't work for all cameras.

I have to admit converting IR to shots to monochrome is not one of my strong points so would welcome any tips on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Now I get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

excellent stuff darren - not sure which is my favourite - possibly 2nd or last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Oh that last one is particularly gorgeous :)

I forgot my bloody camera today. Saw loads that would have worked well in IR too. Typical..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I love the last one as well I really need to get out and do IR more...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

DarrenG wrote: »
    I very rarely make new posts here but noticed a bit of talk recently about infrared photography. It's one of my passions and below are a few examples of my recent shots. If anyone has any questions about my processing or general IR tips, ask away..

I've recently got the same ir filter. I use it with a canon 30D and nifty fifty too. I'd be really interested in finding out how you achieve such fast shutter speeds? For a simular type of exposure I'm usually up around the 4-6 minute mark not 1/2 a second! (using iso 100-200)

Have you converted the D50 in anyway?

Cheers
    A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'm usually up around the 4-6 minute mark
    The IR filter that sits in front on your camera's digital sensor will vary in strength from camera model to camera model.

Depending on the filter strength your exposure time can therefore vary greatly from camera model to camera model.

You'll often hear people say "such a camera is well suited for digital IR photography" and what this often more or less means is that the IR filter in front of the digital sensor is very weak letting in plenty of IR light.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    The IR filter that sits in front on your camera's digital sensor will vary in strength from camera model to camera model.

Depending on the filter strength your exposure time can therefore vary greatly from camera model to camera model.

You'll often hear people say "such a camera is well suited for digital IR photography" and what this often more or less means is that the IR filter in front of the digital sensor is very weak letting in plenty of IR light.

I have read that. But can it really vary to such a degree? Minutes vs fraction of a second it both cameras still have their own internal filters attached?

But can it really vary to such a degree?

The quick & simple answer to that question is "Yes".

It's recommended that where the cameras IR filter is strong that you shooter at a higher ISO (400+) and keep your aperture open no smaller than about F8.

I've seen a guy shooting on a Sony A100 in the region of 5-6 seconds whereas on the same day in the same lighting conditions my Canon 40D it was about a 1+ minute exposure.

Ultimately your exposure time will boil down to the strength of your camera's IR filter, your ISO and the aperture you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I have read that. But can it really vary to such a degree? Minutes vs fraction of a second it both cameras still have their own internal filters attached?

It can unforuntately. I was out with a friend yesterday and he was using a Canon too. His exposure times where 10-20 seconds. I was getting 1/2 second exposure on mine.

The Nikon D50 and D70 are two cameras really suited to IR photography. I'm just glad I never sold the D50 when I got the D700.

jpb1974 wrote: »

I've seen a guy shooting on a Sony A100 in the region of 5-6 seconds whereas on the same day in the same lighting conditions my Canon 40D it was about a 1+ minute exposure.
    DarrenG wrote: »
    It can unforuntately. I was out with a friend yesterday and he was using a Canon too. His exposure times where 10-20 seconds. I was getting 1/2 second exposure on mine.

I'll have to bump up the iso so. Was trying the normal practice of looking to get the cleanest file I could but the long exposure times are killing me with burnt out pixels.

Still 5-6 seconds or even 10-20 seconds would suit me nicely if I could get a good file out of it.

Darren I'm only 25 minutes away from Balbriggan, I must head out with you at some stage and pick your brain!

• Advertisement

Re: Monochrome Tips

For digital IR B+W conversion what I usually do is either apply a S shaped curves adjustment or run auto-levels before applying the B+W conversion method of choice.

You might then find that you need to apply a little more contrast.

Typically B+W conversions are easier than the channel swap conversions you have posted.

4434289285_b0ef5f08d5_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I like 2 & 4

prefer 4

Inspired to action:
    Dispatch estimate for these items: 1 Jun 2010 - 2 Jun 2010
    1 "Hoya 52mm Infrared R72 Filter"

Darren I'm only 25 minutes away from Balbriggan, I must head out with you at some stage and pick your brain!

No problem

You said to "ask away" so - is there anything special I need to know about IR photography or is it just a matter of attaching the filter and mucking around?

I've got a Canon 450D and I've read a little about the IR stuff and I hear that some cameras have built-in IR filters which require you to have longer exposures depending on how good the filter is. That's the entirety of my IR photography knowledge.

Just go out and experiment. I remember the first shots I took with the IR filter and was very disappointed with them but I kept at it and I'm starting to get some decent photos now.

Plenty of sunlight, custom white balance, a tripod and that little cover for the eyepiece on your viewfinder so you don't allow light to leak in.

Cool cheers Darren. I need to suss out the custom white balance malarkey. And get a new tripod - the head fell off the last one...

Promac wrote: »
    Cool cheers Darren. I need to suss out the custom white balance malarkey. And get a new tripod - the head fell off the last one...

I found these two links pretty helpful with getting my head around ir.

Tips For Infrared Shooting on a DSLR

Digital Infrared Processing False Colour

I found these two links pretty helpful with getting my head around ir.

Tips For Infrared Shooting on a DSLR

Digital Infrared Processing False Colour

Excellent, thanks!

Really looking forward to trying this out now - I love this game.

Re: Monochrome Tips

For digital IR B+W conversion what I usually do is either apply a S shaped curves adjustment or run auto-levels before applying the B+W conversion method of choice.

You might then find that you need to apply a little more contrast.

Typically B+W conversions are easier than the channel swap conversions you have posted.

No probs DarrenG, your welcome ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

been thinking about this for some time now!! i'd like to get an old camera and get it converted - apparently way much better than using a filter, but more spendy ;)

been thinking about this for some time now!! i'd like to get an old camera and get it converted - apparently way much better than using a filter, but more spendy wink.gif

I use a converted Canon 30D and it's great.

Farting around with filters and long exposure times (blurry grass, leaves etc) does me head in.

*Edit*

But being honest IR photography is both seasonal and goes in and out of fashion. I don't use the camera that often as I've drifted away from landscape photography in recent times.

Spend those sheckles wisely.

My new Hoya R72 showed up today and of course the sun is gone.

Advertisement