Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements for Pregnant Dog?

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

My dog is (hopefully) pregnant. Now before people start giving out on here about all the unwanted dogs in the country etc. I already have people who will take the pups.

What I'm just wondering is -

Are there any supplements people would recommend if she is pregnant?
    I plan on feeding her her usual food, Orijen, throughout the pregnancy so that is high in protein which should help.
    I also feed her plenty of meat.

General consensus on the net from my research seems to be that a good complete food is all she needs.

Just wondering if any people or breeders had any household tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You will need to feed her on a puppy food nearer the time as its higher in nutrients/protein etc that she will need once she has whelped. You can get this in most vets and i think royal canin do it.
    You will probably have to up her feeds as well nearer the time.

Hope you know what you are in for, breeding is not for the faint hearted and you will have to put in a lot of time and effort once the pups arrive and probably take time off work etc to look after the pups and the bitch.

Make sure you get her whelping area set up before the pups arrive so she gets used to it in time and will safe and secure in it. Its advisable to get a whelping box or make one yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Congratulations :) What kind of dog is she?

While nursing I would just leave food out for her at all times (if that's possible, not if you have other dogs I guess). But you don't want her eating too much while pregnant or she could have problems delivering. But you should give her small meals more often, because with all the pups she won't have much room for food!

And I'd switch to a puppy food gradually by mixing it with her normal food, so it doesn't upset her tummy.

Good luck to you and the dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

morganafay wrote: »
    Congratulations :) What kind of dog is she?

While nursing I would just leave food out for her at all times (if that's possible, not if you have other dogs I guess). But you don't want her eating too much while pregnant or she could have problems delivering. But you should give her small meals more often, because with all the pups she won't have much room for food!

And I'd switch to a puppy food gradually by mixing it with her normal food, so it doesn't upset her tummy.

Good luck to you and the dog :)

She's a cocker spaniel. She's our only dog - part of the reason for having pups, she needs some company.
    I can leave the food out with her but ration it so she's not getting too much.
    I'll feed her this latest bag of Orijen and then switch to Orijen puppy when its finished in about six weeks (switching it gradually of course).
    I also plan to give her plenty of meat for protein.

Lemlin wrote: »
    She's a cocker spaniel. She's our only dog - part of the reason for having pups, she needs some company.
    I can leave the food out with her but ration it so she's not getting too much.
    I'll feed her this latest bag of Orijen and then switch to Orijen puppy when its finished in about six weeks (switching it gradually of course).
    I also plan to give her plenty of meat for protein.

Lemlin, could you not have got a dog from somewhere else instead of putting her into pup? That is not a good reason to mate a bitch, im sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

andreac wrote: »
    Lemlin, could you not have got a dog from somewhere else instead of putting her into pup? That is not a good reason to mate a bitch, im sorry.
    andreac the OP already stated this:
    Lemlin wrote: »
    Now before people start giving out on here about all the unwanted dogs in the country etc. I already have people who will take the pups.
    !
    People are perfectly entitled to breed from their dog if they so wish and theyve already secured homes for the pups to be. The OPs looking for nutritional advice and thats all.

• Advertisement

I understand that Annie, and i already gave some advice on this for them.

I just dont think breeding a bitch because she needs company is a good reason at all.
    There could be up to ten pups, it can be very hard finding homes for all those pups plus the risk you put your bitch at from breeding too. Breeding is very risky and the reason stated wouldnt be a good reason at all to breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I just dont think breeding a bitch because she needs company is a good reason at all.
    There could be up to ten pups, it can be very hard finding homes for all those pups plus the risk you put your bitch at from breeding too. Breeding is very risky and the reason stated wouldnt be a good reason at all to breed.

+1000

Why can nobody ever post on this forum without the doggy parade jumping? There are certain topics that just can't be posted about without the usual suspects jumping in to say how everyone should:

- go to animal rescues
    - Neuter their dogs
    - not breed

and blah blah blah and so on.
    It's very annoying to be honest and I think moderators should ban people on sight of this sort of crap.
    It shouldn't be tolerated.

I understand that Annie, and i already gave some advice on this for them.

That's your opinion. You're entitled to it and I'm entitled to mine. I wanted to breed my dog so I will. Now go and annoy someone else. You're constant force feeding of your opinions on this board to anyone and everyone infuriates me.
    I grew up with numerous dogs throughout my life and pregnancy has never effected any of them in a bad way. Nor has any breed I've had ever had ten pups, or even nine, and I would imagine it is not the norm, especially for a first litter and a small dog like a Cocker.
    I put the disclaimer at the top in regards to posters like you for a reason.

Not forcing any opinions, just giving it, its allowed, its a public forum.:rolleyes:

If someone elses opinion that doesnt agree with yours, infuriates you, then a public forum prob isnt the best place to ask peoples advice, as not everyone is going to agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Firstly guys calm down please.
    Secondly, andreac whilst I and others understand your concern for people breeding dogs, people are still entitled to do it, at least the OP is coming on looking for helpful advice regarding how best to do this.
    However, we'll draw a line under this part now, and let the thread continue ON topic please relating to the OPs specific question.

Not forcing any opinions, just giving it, its allowed, its a public forum.:rolleyes:

If someone elses opinion that doesnt agree with yours, infuriates you, then a public forum prob isnt the best place to ask peoples advice, as not everyone is going to agree with you.

Well when I put a line at the top like "Now before people start giving out on here about all the unwanted dogs in the country etc. I already have people who will take the pups. " pre empting that I know yourself and the doggy brigade are going to come calling, I'd expect you to just leave the thread alone but you can't even do that.

And you are force feeding your opinion. I've asked for advice on supplements for a pregnant dog. I've said I don't want to know about people complaining about breeding.

Yet you've still taken your chance. What is that only forcing your opinion on people?

The dog is already pregnant (hopefully) so it's a bit late now anyway.

star-pants wrote: »
    Firstly guys calm down please.
    Secondly, andreac whilst I and others understand your concern for people breeding dogs, people are still entitled to do it, at least the OP is coming on looking for helpful advice regarding how best to do this.
    However, we'll draw a line under this part now, and let the thread continue ON topic please relating to the OPs specific question.

Why draw a line under it? Posters who repeatedly drag topics off topic back to the same old topics on this forum should be banned and it might put a stop to it. There are a few individuals who consistently do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Lemlin this is my final warning - leave it here in this thread. In future just report the post & don't respond or enter into argument with a poster.
    Just FYI questioning mods decisions usually comes with an automatic ban - I won't this time but take note.

Advertisement