Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacSweenys closed down.

• 31-05-2010 1:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have just been on the phone to Denis MacSweenys to try to get my Gear Bag returned. It was being repaired under warranty.

The Phone went through to their Cork shop. The girl told me that the Dublin shop has now closed. It seems to have been very sudden.

Just hope they can get my Bag back to me as I need it to load my stuff into as carry on luggage.

Anyone know why they have shut their doors?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have just been on the phone to Denis MacSweenys to try to get my Gear Bag returned. It was being repaired under warranty.

The Phone went through to their Cork shop. The girl told me that the Dublin shop has now closed. It seems to have been very sudden.

Just hope they can get my Bag back to me as I need it to load my stuff into as carry on luggage.

I was in their Dublin store a few months back looking at their DSLR range. I had the 500D picked out and the gentleman said he'd ring me back the following day to tell me when the camera was going to be in stock (either before the weekend or after)

I never got a call back, needless to say, I went somewhere else.. If that's the level of customer service they're giving to people.. I'm not surprised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Something to do with an exploding gear bag apparently.

Where is/was macSweeneys in Dublin ? Was it the place on Dawson street ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes .... Dawson Street near Stephens Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Priced a polarising filter MacSweenys shortly before easter. Got another price in the camera shop at top of grafton steet (forget name) and was it about 50% more expensive and was told it was because MacSweenys were closing down soon......
    Needless to say I bought one in the end up in Gunn's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

They had a shop in Clonmel as well but that closed down a while ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

well speaking from experience the mac sweeneys in Cork have amazing customer service and know their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Denis himself passed away a small number of years ago ... pity his empire didnt survive.

PS. I've never found the Dublin shop but have been in both of the Cork stores (think they are still in Merchants Quay and Princess street) ...anyways - most of the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable.... and discounts were always available.

Bought my first SLR and first DSLR from McSweeneys in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The guy in macsweeneys in Dublin was really nice. He let me borrow a lens for a weekend without paying a penny; Just a refunded deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

swingking wrote: »
    The guy in macsweeneys in Dublin was really nice. He let me borrow a lens for a weekend without paying a penny; Just a refunded deposit.
    Hmmm, I wonder why they went out of business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have been onto the Cork store & they assure me my Gear Bag will be returned by courier tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

I did find them quite easy to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

From what I've heard the Cork branch anyway is a total rip off... They charge €2.50 for 6x8's and €5 for 8x10's and use the same equipment as harvey norman..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Ricky91t wrote: »
    From what I've heard the Cork branch anyway is a total rip off... They charge €2.50 for 6x8's and €5 for 8x10's and use the same equipment as harvey norman..
    hbr wrote:
    They have been selling off their stock of lenses for "half price". I know
    people who got some great bargains there in the last few weeks.
    Unfortunately, this probably means they won't be around much longer.

Disregard my comment. I was referring to a different shop in Patrick's St.

For the last two hundred years, camera manufacturers have worked
    on making cameras smaller, lighter and more portable. This makes
    them very easy to buy on-line or from a mail order catalogue.

Record shops are going the same way and for the same reasons.

High Street travel agents are another group that are rapidly becoming
    redundant as more people buy direct from the airlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i used the dublin branch quite often when i had big stacks of 6x4's to get done, always super friendly staff and a decent price for prints.

sadly, every time i was in there the majority of their business seemed to be taking passport photos which isn't enough sadly to keep a business open in the city centre of an expensive city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

hbr wrote: »
    They have been selling off their stock of lenses for "half price". I know
    people who got some great bargains there in the last few weeks.
    Unfortunately, this probably means they won't be around much longer.

Really? are you sure you're not thinking of spectra photo on Patrick street because they're offering the same deal...?

gerk86 wrote: »
    Really? are you sure you're not thinking of spectra photo on Patrick street because they're offering the same deal...?

Doh! That's exactly who I'm thinking of. Thanks gerk86.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    They had a shop in Clonmel as well but that closed down a while ago

Yes it was January 2years ago. I was in the shop and said to the guy behind the counter that I was sorry to see the shop was closing to which he replied "we are not closing down" I pointed to the BIG notice in the window to that effect!..His reply was "well nobody told me":rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

there was another photo shop in Clonmel down the road from McSweeneys thats gone bust too - the recession is biting i guess. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Fionn wrote: »
    there was another photo shop in Clonmel down the road from McSweeneys thats gone bust too - the recession is biting i guess. :(

That's right! Clonmel Photo Centre......Was a very good well stocked shop, until it went instant print, and the amount of equipment it sold diminished. It did close very suddenly, no closing down sale there:(

Got my Bag back yesterday ..... well it wasn't my bag it was a new replacement one. So all is good .... packing it up now for my hand luggage. Have my Bodies in there along with my most expensive lenses & the SB600. That brings it up to 9kg. Have to put in the Macbook yet.

Ohhh the joys of moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

That's right! Clonmel Photo Centre......Was a very good well stocked shop, until it went instant print, and the amount of equipment it sold diminished. It did close very suddenly, no closing down sale there:(

Whenever I was in there they never seemed to have much, only compacts and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

OREGATO wrote: »
    I was in their Dublin store a few months back looking at their DSLR range. I had the 500D picked out and the gentleman said he'd ring me back the following day to tell me when the camera was going to be in stock (either before the weekend or after)

I never got a call back, needless to say, I went somewhere else.. If that's the level of customer service they're giving to people.. I'm not surprised...
    The Cork branch has all their staff on part time basis. So to say they are closing because of bad service is wrong. It's the economy stupid!

Advertisement