Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am a victim of a laptop seller in town

• 31-05-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

2 guys on a blue car pull in front on me and try to sell a laptop, first they show the laptop is "as new" Sony Vaio with the new i3 processor they sell it very cheap. I though it was legit coz all the document they show me can convince even you, I buy it then they go. But when I check again the bag (they switch it very quick) What I have now is a bag full of news papers:mad::mad:

I just post it to make you all guys aware on this kind of trick this days:)

I have the car plate number but I even not sure if they use a legit car o maybe they change the plate number for that time.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

You've learnt a very harsh lesson.

It would be no harm contacting the police just to give the reg plate but your cash is gone forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

2 guys on a blue car pull in front on me and try to sell a laptop... I thought it was legit
    :confused:

"Hey wait a minute… that's not the wallet inspector!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

HAHA,

got that done to me years ago too, cost me 50euro. It sucks. It is never legit if its from a car that just pulls up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Here's a helpful tip for Consumers: Don't buy goods from people who pull in front of you in a car. Surprisingly, these tend not to be legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

You've learnt a very harsh lesson.

It would be no harm contacting the police just to give the reg plate but your cash is gone forever.
    I don;t mind my cash, and I've learn from that.

My worry now If I go to report it to gardai station maybe the plate number I have is not what the cars real identity too.
    But I do remember is just the car color maybe a polo then the reg number, coz they run fast on a corner which getting the number is the only thing I got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

simoniz wrote: »

Thanks for your helpful post. Had you not warned me of this danger, I surely would have thought that buying a laptop from two random geezers on the side of the road was a good idea!

Incidentally, I have some fine leather jackets you might be interested in...

bugler wrote: »
    Here's a helpful tip for Consumers: Don't buy goods from people who pull in front of you in a car. Surprisingly, these tend not to be legit.
    Yeh I know but when they show me all the paper works of the laptop looks like OK everything, manual, charger, laptop etc etc, they just like a magician that can switch it real fast..... :D:D

FruitLover wrote: »
    Thanks for your helpful post. Had you not warned me of this danger, I surely would have thought that buying a laptop from two random geezers on the side of the road was a good idea!

Incidentally, I have some fine leather jackets you might be interested in...
    :pac::pac::pac: :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

how much did those newspapers cost you, just tell me they at least were today's papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Happened to me several years ago in Swords, I knew what they were up to so I just laughed at them. Sorry OP you fell for the oldest swindle in the book, learn from this and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Oh dear seems the age old bait and switch scam is still alive and well in Ireland. I've heard the story of people being sold laptop boxes filled with milk cartons but I thought it was so well known by now that nobody would fall for it. OP it sounds like you may be a foreigner in which case it is slightly less outrageous that you fell for this. Not much else to be said really except that you have learned a very valuable lesson and you just have to move on.

Thanks for sharing your experience though, it may make more potential victims aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

they just like a magician that can switch it real fast..... :D:D
    :P:P:P:pac::p:D

Check reg here against what car you thought it was
    http://www.cartell.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I thought they had moved onto I-phones with a chocolate bar inside. Most expensive chocolate in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I thought they had moved onto I-phones with a chocolate bar inside. Most expensive chocolate in Ireland.

Given that a call fom my brother on his iPhone dropped out 3 times in about 10 mins last night, they may as well sell 'em with a chocolate bar inside!

:P:P:P:pac::p:D

Check reg here against what car you thought it was
    http://www.cartell.ie/
    THANK YOU the reg number match the car (polo). I'm going to report it later when I got home coz now I know the car have the original plate number on it.

I'd be surprised if there's anything the police can do. It's your word against that of the guys in the car.

I'd be surprised if there's anything the police can do. It's your word against that of the guys in the car.
    I'm not asking to get my money back or to sue them. What my plan If the garda know who might be those scambags they have an idea now. It's up to them If they going to make a team to follow them until they caught them on the act.

But honestly I'm already move on just wanna share my mistake:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

2 guys on a blue car pull in front on me and try to sell a laptop,

not trying to be mean but I dont think many people would fall for that tbh.. surely it would ring alarm bells all over the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

2 guys on a blue car pull in front on me and try to sell a laptop, first they show the laptop is "as new" Sony Vaio with the new i3 processor they sell it very cheap. I though it was legit coz all the document they show me can convince even you, I buy it then they go. But when I check again the bag (they switch it very quick) What I have now is a bag full of news papers:mad::mad:

I have the car plate number but I even not sure if they use a legit car o maybe they change the plate number for that time.

The car in question isn't by any chance a big dark blue van is it? Ive seen this suspicious van at late night near my estate coming and going at 3am in the night...

hello932 wrote: »
    The car in question isn't by any chance a big dark blue van is it? Ive seen this suspicious van at late night near my estate coming and going at 3am in the night...
    It's a small blue polo in my case:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's a small blue polo in my case:)

There was a small blue polo in the case :eek: I thought it was newspaper :p

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Hard luck Simoniz.
    Jesus everyone in this thread is very cruel. This kind of thing can happen to people once when they're young and away from home. I hope you didn't lose too much money.

And tell the cops.

dynamick wrote: »
    And tell the cops.

Tell them what? That he tried to buy stolen\shady goods from two strangers in a blue polo on the side of the street?

The reason Laptop theft is so high in this country is because the market is there.

I know that this was more a case of thrift but the principle is the same.

No one in their right mind can be approached by two strangers out of the blue(Polo) offering a Sony Vaio for half nothing and believe it's genuine.

What planet are you on?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

What an idiotic comment

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SirIrish

Tell them what? That he tried to buy stolen\shady goods from two strangers in a blue polo on the side of the street?

The reason Laptop theft is so high in this country is because the market is there.

I know that this was more a case of thrift but the principle is the same.

No one in their right mind can be approached by two strangers out of the blue(Polo) offering a Sony Vaio for half nothing and believe it's genuine.

What planet are you on?

-

How do you know the stuff is stolen or shady??
    Maybe the guys are selling all their possessions because they need quick cash for plane tickets because the Penguin they adopted just got very sick and they want to go see it before it dies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

very old scam, they switch bags right before hand usually have water bottles or phone book inside, my tip is dont buy stuff out of a car unless ur at a ca boot sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Did you get their reg or were you high on the joy of getting a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

mordeith wrote: »
    Given that a call fom my brother on his iPhone dropped out 3 times in about 10 mins last night, they may as well sell 'em with a chocolate bar inside!

Would blame that more on the network than the phone:rolleyes:
    Been using the 2g and 3g models since 1st release and never had an issue.
    Had huge problems with dropped calls and vodafone though

sesna wrote: »
    What an idiotic comment

Snap.

• Advertisement

No way did this actually happen. Then again, there is one born every minute, apparently :)
    Other idioms which have been confirmed by this thread:
    1) A fool and their money.
    2) ??

sesna wrote: »
    What an idiotic comment
    He's such a coward to help anybody else or future victims, maybe they're become a victims too and just let it go away and pretend it never happen to them coz it's really ridiculous If someone found that was happen to you:D

Look at me now some of the comment directing to me and almost tells me than I'm an idiot.

I made this thread to warn YOU guys not to tell me again and again my mistake.

No way did this actually happen. Then again, there is one born every minute, apparently :)
    2) ??
    non sense comment, you make yourself a fool now. read the thread first this thread is not asking your help or opinion, This is made you warn the public;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

2) ??
    non sense comment, you make yourself a fool now. read the thread first this thread is not asking your help or opinion, This is made you warn the public;)

Don't pay any attention - Some People act like that all day long :rolleyes:

- In posting you may well have saved others from this scam and hopefully made it harder for these Prícks to strike again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

What were the documents that could reassure it was legit, not stolen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Raiser wrote: »
    Don't pay any attention - Some People act like that all day long :rolleyes:

- In posting you may well have saved others from this scam and hopefully made it harder for these Prícks to strike again.

Saw this scam on an episode of Road Wars - Police actually saw the transaction and chased down the con artists (as did the purchaser!).

Any advice not to report this, regardless of how much evidence there is to pursue it is just rubbish, whether or not you will get back your money or the scumbags will be charged is irrelevant, if everyone scammed makes the same complaint then the Garda will develop a file on them, maybe they already have one - if no one complains then they can proceed merrily along to the next victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

thebiglad wrote: »
    Saw this scam on an episode of Road Wars - Police actually saw the transaction and chased down the con artists (as did the purchaser!).

Any advice not to report this, regardless of how much evidence there is to pursue it is just rubbish, whether or not you will get back your money or the scumbags will be charged is irrelevant, if everyone scammed makes the same complaint then the Garda will develop a file on them, maybe they already have one - if no one complains then they can proceed merrily along to the next victim.

Yeah saw that myself. The guys were Irish too if I remember correctly. I can't believe some people still fall for this kind of scam - but don't worry about it OP - just learn from it and move on. Do certainly report it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

so how much did you loose ?

JustinOval wrote: »
    What were the documents that could reassure it was legit, not stolen?
    Everything mate, manuals, orginal chargers, If laptop is stolen hard to get those complete documents. Maybe that;s they're personal laptop and just using as a bait and have the back up laptop bag full of papers as a swaping thing trick :D

PCPhoto wrote: »
    so how much did you loose ?
    not going to help you mate, If you don't have anything to ask then just read. no one interested on how much I loose in this case, The important thing is I already did my obligation (to pass the information to the citizens)....

Maybe yo could help to tell this to your relatives and friends too. Don't bother even If I loose a penny or a million;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

"Those are fake hands!!"

• Advertisement

No...no, im pretty sure you are still the fool mate :)

thanks for bringing the lulz though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

No...no, im pretty sure you are still the fool mate :)

thanks for bringing the lulz though.

He was a Fool for that 5 mins - You're unfortunate in that you're always going to be the way you are :P

- Hope you enjoyed commenting uselessly on the misfortune of others - Nice way to pass your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Everything mate, manuals, orginal chargers, If laptop is stolen hard to get those complete documents. Maybe that;s they're personal laptop and just using as a bait and have the back up laptop bag full of papers as a swaping thing trick :D

They prove nothing, how much cheaper than retail was it?
    not going to help you mate, If you don't have anything to ask then just read. no one interested on how much I loose in this case, The important thing is I already did my obligation (to pass the information to the citizens)....

Maybe yo could help to tell this to your relatives and friends too. Don't bother even If I loose a penny or a million;)

Sorry, I would pass this on but I don't think I know anyone daft enough to buy a laptop under these circumstances...

Raiser wrote: »
    He was a Fool for that 5 mins - You're unfortunate in that you're always going to be the way you are :P

- Hope you enjoyed commenting uselessly on the misfortune of others - Nice way to pass your time.
    Thanks for understanding comments......... some are acting profesional here and never make a mistake or being a victim in thier entire life. I just hoping people to be aware nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thanks for understanding comments......... some are acting profesional here and never make a mistake or being a victim in thier entire life. I just hoping people to be aware nothing else.

The scam you got jipped by is just sooooooooooooo old it's hard to feel sorry for mugs with so little common sense who still get taken by it tbh.

Also best if you avoid replying to emails from African princes and any one selling magic beans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Venom wrote: »
    The scam you got jipped by is just sooooooooooooo old it's hard to feel sorry for mugs with so little common sense who still get taken by it tbh.

Also best if you avoid replying to emails from African princes and any one selling magic beans :)

wow it really amazes me the ignorance of some people

The OP might not have genuinely known that he was about to be scammed.

The OP most definitely genuinely knew it was a shady transaction either way.

Did the OP have any sympathy for the rightful owner of the Laptop had it been handed over to him?

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too bad OP. You just have learned the hard way people cannot be trusted and if it sounds too good to be true, it is.
    Or stolen, which is equally bad.

Thanks for coming on and telling us in case someone else may come across them soon.
    Do report it to the Garda, at least then they have some info on these ****ers in case they are nabbed later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Cabaal wrote: »
    "Those are fake hands!!"

:D:D:D Always room for a bit of Fr. T

Drink, Feck, Drink!

smljack24686955.jpg

-

• Advertisement
Advertisement