Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am a victim of a laptop seller in town

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

OP

You're a complete fcukwitt! you deserved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

thebiglad wrote: »
    Any advice not to report this, regardless of how much evidence there is to pursue it is just rubbish

I agree!

Wait, did someone actually advise not reporting it somewhere in this thread? :confused:
    caspa307 wrote: »
    wow it really amazes me the ignorance of some people

I know, but there really are people who fall for these scams! Even in 2010!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

FruitLover wrote: »
    I agree!

Wait, did someone actually advise not reporting it somewhere in this thread? :confused:

I know, but there really are people who fall for these scams! Even in 2010!!

they didnt advise not to report it they mentioned there was no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

dnme wrote: »
    OP

You're a complete fcukwitt! you deserved it
    Banned. The same will come to anyone else who decides to throw insults around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

simoniz wrote: »
    THANK YOU the reg number match the car (polo). I'm going to report it later when I got home coz now I know the car have the original plate number on it.

It could be cloned, i.e. they are using fake number plates copied from another car of the same type and colour. However the guards are well aware of cloning and have ways of dealing with it, so you should report the reg you saw regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TBH you'd have to be quite naive not to be suspect of such an offer...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

bugler wrote: »
    Here's a helpful tip for Consumers: Don't buy goods from people who pull in front of you in a car. Surprisingly, these tend not to be legit.

Hi don't tar them with the same because of the actions of bad apples. Most of these sellers are hard working and hones...well hard working anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So brand new laptop, being sold for better than retail, from a car.

The old adage "if its too good to be true, it is" really does apply here.

If I have a **** hot laptop and I wanna sell it brand new, and i do it from a car, I must have stolen it, for one thing.

/Note: the user that gets scammed at this stage of the thought process gets karma thrown right back at them: when you think the item is Hot and you buy it anyway. Never buy stolen merchandise, for many and varied reasons. But the least ethical reason [the one that anybody should be able to understand] being that if they stole the item in the first place, do you really trust them to make an honest exchange?

Another thing is why would i sell it from a car? Was I in trouble with the law? If I had just bought the thing say, and needed to make rent, I'd just give it to my landlord :pac:

if I really had a brand new laptop and i wanted to sell it - id make money off it. Not give it away on the side of a road to the first taker. Its called eBay, or Adverts.ie - List the item, wait, ?????, profit! No driving around in a smelly car and making bingo profit margins.

So yeah, hope you learned something about life and economics today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

ipods and laptops sold in this manner are (unless someone knows other wise) stolen. This includes stolen from Lorries and PC World but also stolen out of the pockets and homes of decent folk. I've no sympathy for those conned while trying to buy stolen goods.

by all means report it to the police (not sure if it's actually illegal to buy goods in this manner).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I have a bridge to sell if anyone is interested?

brooklyn-bridge.jpg

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

How much do you want for it? :D

Is it USB 3.0 enabled?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Flickr

victim? I dont think so! The only victim is the poor sod that had it stolen in the first place. And its because of people like you that myself, and the other good people on here will continue to have our laptops stolen. So go tell the gardai that you tried to buy a stolen lapton from two knackers in a car and the nasty men stole your money and see if they have any more sympathy for you than I do! I doubt they will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Last Sunday about 2:00 pm on Pearse Street two guys in a white Toyota truck stopped me and offered to sell me a Vaio laptop cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'll swap you some beans for it.

Pish Posh you say, but they ain't no ORDINARY beans..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I wonder what their reaction would be if you agreed to buy the Laptop & power supply but insisted you didn't want the bag? :p

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement