Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting games from XV

Options
  • 31-05-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

May not be the best place for this, but I've not been in an Xtravision for years (it's not that easy to get to where I live). Can anyone tell if they still rent games out, I assume it was a nice little money spinner for them. I thought I read on boards a few months back that they do a sort of monthly deal whereby you pay a fixed amount, and you get as many games as you want, but 1 at a time, kinda like those postal DVD rental places?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Oo..

hey,
    do you have an account there already? because they have a new fantastic policy there that you cannot rent any games/boxsets on a new acc until you have a rental history of about 20-30 new release dvd's.

but otherwise they do rent games for between 5-8 euro a week i think..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hrm must be to stop people coming in, making an account with dodgy info and then renting a ton of games for around €4 each and never bringing them back.

Anyways, rental prices are about €5 for 3 nights and €8 for a full week or so, very handy for games like God of War 3 and Heavy Rain with little replay value. Not heard about the monthly cost thing but I think they are introducing it for films so could be in for games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Yes that is the reason XV want people to establish they are legitimate customers first.

You could try asking about putting money on deposit on your account instead (ie lodge like 60 euros credit on your account and pay for your rentals through this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

A lot of very strange information coming out here... Anyway, I work in Xtra-vision so here are the answers to your questions.

Games come in two brackets; Old and New.

Old games can be rented for €4.95 for one week.
    New games can be rented for €5.95 (3 Days) or €7.95 (5 Days).

Weekly rentals for games no longer exist, except for the old ones.

You must have at least 7 rentals on your account before you can rent a game. This rule sometimes varies across shops depending on how badly a shop gets hit for people not returning their games. However, 20-30 is ridiculous and not true.

You can only rent a maximum of two New games per account.

Hope this helps!

Liber8or wrote: »
    You must have at least 7 rentals on your account before you can rent a game. This rule sometimes varies across shops depending on how badly a shop gets hit for people not returning their games. However, 20-30 is ridiculous and not true.

It must vary alot in the different xtravisions so,
    I wanted to set up an acc in my local store mainly for renting games and i was told it needed to have a rental history of at least 20 new releases on three different occassions, or of course the 50 euro deposit.:)
    The store could be one of the ones hit the hardest with theft of games or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

A lot of very strange information coming out here... Anyway, I work in Xtra-vision so here are the answers to your questions.

Games come in two brackets; Old and New.

Old games can be rented for €4.95 for one week.
    New games can be rented for €5.95 (3 Days) or €7.95 (5 Days).

Weekly rentals for games no longer exist, except for the old ones.

You can only rent a maximum of two New games per account.

Hope this helps!

Wha?!

Ya they do! Press F2 once before you scan the game in and it will be a weekly rental for €9.95!

Ya it would really depend on the shop. The one I work in wouldn't require 20-30 more like around the 10, sometimes less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

jenno86 wrote: »
    Wha?!

Ya they do! Press F2 once before you scan the game in and it will be a weekly rental for €9.95!

Ya it would really depend on the shop. The one I work in wouldn't require 20-30 more like around the 10, sometimes less.

Your not supposed to do that... :P Whole point being Xtra-Vision want the games back quicker so they can rent them again. A game gone for 7 days is worth less than one gone for 5 days... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Games are €7.95 for 5 days now, not 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

This is all moot, as both XV's I visited yesterday (Midleton and Wilton) had the worst selection of Wii games to rent that I've ever seen. The PS3 and X360 sections were ok, but the Wii section was rotten. The only fairly recent game appeared to be NSMB which is what 6 months old at this stage? It's possible that both shops had a healthy supply of newer games for rental, but had been deluged with Wii player that day...?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They're €7.95 for 5 days, €9.95 for 7 days. If you return the game late, you pay €1.40 or thereabouts for each day it's late (not the full price of the rental).

I rent games all the time, especially ones that aren't value for money, like the new Prince of Persia game, or ones that I want to try before I buy.

• Advertisement

Just about the different games they rent/sell... does any of the xtravisions rent/sell PSP games?
    My local one only sells about three PSP games and they are litterally ones that no one wants..:(

Is this the same with most other xv?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Your not supposed to do that... :P Whole point being Xtra-Vision want the games back quicker so they can rent them again. A game gone for 7 days is worth less than one gone for 5 days... :D

I'll think you will find this is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

corblimey wrote: »
    May not be the best place for this, but I've not been in an Xtravision for years (it's not that easy to get to where I live). Can anyone tell if they still rent games out, I assume it was a nice little money spinner for them. I thought I read on boards a few months back that they do a sort of monthly deal whereby you pay a fixed amount, and you get as many games as you want, but 1 at a time, kinda like those postal DVD rental places?

Hi,
    There is a service that does a monthly service dedicated to games, ive used this for the past 2 years, all you need is a laser card to set up an account and you can rent up to 2 games at the same time and hang onto them for as long as you want providing you pay your monthly fee, cant reccomend it enough, great service and they always have new titles to rent on release, far better than Xtravision. Anyways you can sign up for a 10 day free trial, heres the link http://www.gamesenders.ie/

Advertisement