Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inishbofin

Options
  • 31-05-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can anyone comment on the 3 hotels in Inishbofin and also have people from the mainland to get a ferry across or can we drive over:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Funnily enough I just spent the weekend there!

I stayed in the days inn for a wedding and it was a lovely hotel and quite cheap! the food was beautiful and scenery is stunning and the staff (espc the manager (not sure if he was the owner too) were very friendly), the only small thing that I could say that is a bit bad is that the beds there are only double beds instead of king/queen, so it made for a little uncomfortable sleep! but everything else definitly made up for it!

I know others stayed in the other hotels and they didnt say anything bad about it but I didnt get to many details to make comments on it

You cant drive there you have to take the ferry it cost approx 20 euro each return. There is parking some free some not in CLeggan, the parking down on the harbour is free but locals say that all the fishermen park there and your car could get a knick or a bump as they come in and out, however none of the people who went with us had any damage (maybe the locals get commission on the paid car parks or something)

If your going down then bring a book or something and walking shoes, I found that you could very easily end up in the pub early because of nothing else to do and also don't forget your CAMERA!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your time down there, travel time took roughly 3 1/2 hours from Dublin. 2 from Dublin to galway and then 1 1/2 - 2 from Galway to Cleggan

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Karlar

Thanks for replys, so crazyderk u cannot take the car on the ferry?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I did see one or two special ferries that could potentially take cars but to what I heard they only go over once a week ut I dont know how much it would cost, ut to be honest you wouldnt need a car on the island. there is literally one road that goes around it and its a signle lane and quite small, all the cars that are there are old bangars which dont get nct'd or quite posisbly taxed or insured (no Guardai on the island just a couple of reserves) if you need a lift anywhere there is a local taxi service his name is hugh and for 7 euro per person he can take you on a tour of the island!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Hiya,

The dolphin is a nice modern hotel and friendly but feels a bit cold. Lovely restaurant and lovely food though.

The doonmore is where its at though :D friendly staff, great location for seeing the island, and the locals play music at night in it. Great hotel!

Ill be there this weekend but im camping ubut if i was hotelling it, it would be the doonmore, from experience.

Also, there is no car ferry unless you are there for 7 days. Rent bikes on the island, 10er a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I've stayed in the Inish Boffin House Hotel (formerly Day's) and it is fantastic. Modern, clean and comfortable. I didn't even notice if the bed was a regular double or a Queen/King. Food there was delicious too. The pub next door lived up to all that I had heard, i.e. music, craic and all till very late in the morning.
    The island is simply beautiful, rent bikes or bring your own on the ferry (extra charge), best way to see the island, no need for a car and make sure you see the east side of the island, beautiful beaches and scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Thinking of going to Inishbofin also. If no cars how do you get to the beach? We can rent a cottage near the Dolphin Hotel but we have three small kids. How far are the beaches in the east away? In general how can you get around without transport? Seems to be amazing place but we need to be practical unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

The Dolphin Hotel is halfway between the main harbour and the beaches on the east side of the island. Walking is the easiest option, the island is small so everywhere is within walking distance. The beach is only going to be a few minutes away. Cycling is the most popular way for tourists to get around, either bring your own or rent. There are taxi services on the island to help you get you from the ferry to your hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

ankles wrote: »
    Thinking of going to Inishbofin also. If no cars how do you get to the beach? We can rent a cottage near the Dolphin Hotel but we have three small kids. How far are the beaches in the east away? In general how can you get around without transport? Seems to be amazing place but we need to be practical unfortunately!

If you are staying near the Dolphin the nearest beach is 10 minutes walk away.

Bofin isn't huge - no car needed tbh. For getting around - you can walk the island in a day. PJ King (near the Dolphin) rents bikes too.

I bring my family there every Easter for hols & my boys are 7 & 3. We bring a 3-wheeler buggy for the younger lad & my eldest takes his bike. We've no problems rattling over the bogs with either. Mind you, I do try & walk the legs off them so they go to bed early & Dad gets to enjoy a few creamy pints in the Doonmore. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Agree, it is easy to get around walking or cycling. The bikes were a tenner a day to hire the last time I was out and I think it is a fiver extra on the boat to bring them. Anyone staying a few days should consider bringing their own bikes as it provides great freedom as well as ability to see every inch of this wonderful island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

So if I'm going, its tomorrow...except the weather forecast is dismal for the next few days. We can only stay til Friday. Is there anything to do if it lashes? Herself will never go back again if we stay for 4 days looking out at the rain. Any advice? Should we put it off til August?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Put on a raincoat & a good pair of boots & go walking around the island - to Middle Quarter, Knock, the Cromwellian Fort (tides permitting), etc.

My favourite walk is around the West Quarter - head out towards the Dún Mór promintory fort & then across the bog to The Stags, back around to the blow holes & then across the stony beach by Lough Bofin back to Fawnmore. (Or go straight by the lake & to the Doonmore Hotel for a few drinks & a bite to eat. :))

Advertisement