Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering - Log Tables Allowed?

Options
  • 31-05-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Title says it tbh..

Does anyone know if the new log tables permitted in the engineering written exam..?

The new log tables contain the electrical symbols right? Well in the engineering exam for the past 5 or so years we've been asked to identify those symbols in, more often than not, Q1 A and Q8.

I haven't heard anything from my teacher or the department as to whether the new log tables are allowed to be used in the exam.

My mock paper was laid out just like other years - we were asked to identify the symbols. Yet I saw people using the log tables, basically giving away marks? Surely that cannot be correct..

Anyway, I would be very grateful if anybody could give me a direct and correct answer. It would be much appreciated :)

Thank you
    Burs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

yes and no :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

digme wrote: »
    yes and no :D

Pardon me...?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tehPOK

Our teacher told us that on the day if you ask the examiner for a tables, they will give it to you, and really it hasn't been stated that they're not allowed, so I guess Q1 and 8 have just got easier, so sure score for us xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The circular letter to schools about this makes it clear that the new book will be available in all the exams. It says, in relation to Technology and Engineering:

"Technology and Engineering
    Candidates may be asked to use the Formulae and Tables booklet to identify given electronic symbols. Candidates should be aware that the formulae relating to many calculations involving resistance, current, voltage and capacitance, will be available in the booklet.
    Where notation or units are used on the examination papers, these will be in line with the Formulae and Tables booklet from 2010."

The full text of the two relevant circulars is here:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_60_09_Information_re_Formulae_and_Booklet_Tables.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I wouldn't count on too many marks going for identifying symbols though, only a couple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement