Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Bass Electronics

• 31-05-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

I've got a bass I picked up second hand a while back and want to change out all it's electronics, they buzz at a decent volume and are pretty old anyway.

What exactly do I need and how can I do it as cheaply as possible. I'm not much of a bass player, just want a serviceable instrument that doesn't buzz. It needs new knobs, pickups, input jack, everything, where can I get parts cheap enough?

It's a p-bass copy called 'frontline' so I woudn't mind putting a fender pickup in. I play mostly indie sounding stuff on guitar and would like the bass to compliment a stock strat, but not any hugely expensive pickup, cheap and cheerful all the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Cheers, that's just what I'm after, any recommendations for the pickup? Nothing too pricey though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

if you're looking at a decent upgrade at a cheap price. have a look at gfs pickups http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsbasspickups.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

While changing the pickup, pots and output jack on the bass may have an affect on the sound you may be left with a hum even still.

In order to reduce the hum the bass should be properly shielded and the bridge grounded. The majority of low budget basses and guitars aren't shielded at all! It's a very cheap thing to do and quite easy.

The bridge ground is something that you should check hasn't become lose. There should be a wire soldered to the base of the bridge and coming out a hole beside the output jack. This will usually be soldered onto the back of the volume pot.

Here's a how-to for sheilding on the Stewmac website. You can also buy shielding paint & tape there. http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Shielding/i-3789.html

Cheers Dord, I'll have a look at it in a bit and check the bridge ground, hopefully it's just that. Might not even need a new pickup if it sounds good without the buzz.

• Advertisement

I just finished shielding the bass, sounds a lot better, massive thanks Dord, worked a treat.

Unfortunately there's also another more minor (maybe) problem. There's a slight pop/fizz sound when i hit a string. I'm new to the bass, so I've no idea if it's normal. It doesn't sound right to me. Could it be the pickup, its most prominent on the lowest string. Do I still need an electronic overhaul?

Check your pickup height. I'd wager a bet that the string is "slapping" off the poles because it's too low and making a "clunking" sound when the magnet pulls it.

Fret at the 12th fret (or use a capo if you have one handy) and check the height. You'd be aiming for around 0.080” from the top of the pole to the bottom of each string. The D&G coil can be raised up ever so slightly on the treble side. This measurement is with the string fretted at 12th... no point setting it with the strings unfretted as when you fret you can have problems.

If that isn't it then we can figure it out. :pac:

I thought you had it there, but no luck.

I'll try explain it as best I can. It's a definite 'pop' as I pluck a string, it's common to all the strings, and changing pickup height had no effect whatsoever. About 50% of the time, after the initial pop, as the note rings, the pop fizzes out as well.

The pickup and electronics are very old. I'm pretty sure the bass is from the early 80's, and I have no idea how many owners its had since then. The visible metal parts of the pickup are faded and possibly rusting and it recently had a new paint job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I thought you had it there, but no luck.

I'll try explain it as best I can. It's a definite 'pop' as I pluck a string, it's common to all the strings, and changing pickup height had no effect whatsoever. About 50% of the time, after the initial pop, as the note rings, the pop fizzes out as well.

The pickup and electronics are very old. I'm pretty sure the bass is from the early 80's, and I have no idea how many owners its had since then. The visible metal parts of the pickup are faded and possibly rusting and it recently had a new paint job.

I've heard something similar when you overdrive a practice amp. What amp are you using and does it do it at low volume too? If its an active bass it could be the battery either, its unlikely if its a p-bass copy but then again they did everything in the 80s :D

It still happens at low volumes. I've tried a practice amp (Drive 18watt) and through a usb interface into amplitube.

Pretty sure it's not an active pickup either.

• Advertisement

It still happens at low volumes. I've tried a practice amp (Drive 18watt) and through a usb interface into amplitube.

Pretty sure it's not an active pickup either.

Can you upload onto soundcloud or something so we can have a listen?

Ok,... If you could upload a clip that would be great. Have you checked the bridge ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Often in these cases it can be cheaper to replace the guitar entirely than change out the pickups including all the work involved. Thats if you have the cash that is...

You have to also ask yourself if the guitar itself i.e. the wood, neck, bridge, is worth the pickups..

I know what you mean novarock, but I'm a bit obsessive for wanting to fix things up. Then they can go to a professional or be replaced if I can't fix it. Gotta try first. Plus it's such a unique bass, I'd rather have it than a cheap sx or squier, even though they'd probably be better :o

Anyway, here's a sample of the sound I mean, hopefully it's audible:

http://soundcloud.com/keating20/bass-buzz

novarock wrote: »
    Often in these cases it can be cheaper to replace the guitar entirely than change out the pickups including all the work involved. Thats if you have the cash that is...

You have to also ask yourself if the guitar itself i.e. the wood, neck, bridge, is worth the pickups..

You give up too soon... don't you like a challenge?
    I know what you mean novarock, but I'm a bit obsessive for wanting to fix things up. Then they can go to a professional or be replaced if I can't fix it. Gotta try first. Plus it's such a unique bass, I'd rather have it than a cheap sx or squier, even though they'd probably be better

Hmm... it kinda has me stumped. Could be a few things but the only way to find out is to rule others out.

Is it audible without the bass plugged in?

Is it only on the open E or does it also happen on other notes?

Does your bass have a preamp and/or active pickups? (requires battery)

What amp are you using? Have you tried with a different amp?

Have you tried a different cable?

It randomly happens on random notes but it's almost a dead cert on the 12th fret of any string.

It's not audible when the bass isn't plugged in, it sounds fine, definitely an electronic thing.

I've tried it on an amp, and that was recorded in reaper through a usb interface. Same thing happens with either.

Tried several cables.

it's definitely not active, so it's not a dying battery.

It's actually not all that bad, it just sort of bugs me, a case of I've heard it and now I can't unhear it. And yeah, has me stumped too. I've never really heard that kind of sound before, if it was something bad in the electronics I couldn't find it. The only thing I can think of is the pickup or maybe a dodgy pot.

I know what you mean novarock, but I'm a bit obsessive for wanting to fix things up. Then they can go to a professional or be replaced if I can't fix it. Gotta try first. Plus it's such a unique bass, I'd rather have it than a cheap sx or squier, even though they'd probably be better :o

http://soundcloud.com/keating20/bass-buzz

Reminds me a bit of the sound a busted patch lead makes. At this point after checking the things Dord said I'd connect up just the pickup and bridge earth to the output to eliminate the pots and wiring from the signal and then check it.

eoin5 wrote: »
    Reminds me a bit of the sound a busted patch lead makes. At this point after checking the things Dord said I'd connect up just the pickup and bridge earth to the output to eliminate the pots and wiring from the signal and then check it.

Aye, that's just what I was going to suggest. Wire the pickup directly to the output jack. Actually, on a P bass I much prefer this sound. It's more aggressive IMO. :cool:

I'll give that a go when I have a bit of free time and report back. If that doesn't fix the problem, can I assume it's the pickup?

I'll give that a go when I have a bit of free time and report back. If that doesn't fix the problem, can I assume it's the pickup?

Either that or the output jack. See how you like it wired direct. Last time I did it I left it and I put some pots on for show. ;)

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Either that or the output jack. See how you like it wired direct. Last time I did it I left it and I put some pots on for show. ;)

I'm building a body with a p-bass pickup at the minute and it wont even have holes for pots, just a big chunk of mahogany with a pickup in it. That is until you turn it around and see the synth out :D

eoin5 wrote: »
    I'm building a body with a p-bass pickup at the minute and it wont even have holes for pots, just a big chunk of mahogany with a pickup in it. That is until you turn it around and see the synth out :D

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Dord wrote: »
    Aye, that's just what I was going to suggest. Wire the pickup directly to the output jack. Actually, on a P bass I much prefer this sound. It's more aggressive IMO. :cool:

Interesting... how would one go about doing this?? :)

Parsley wrote: »
    Interesting... how would one go about doing this?? :)

Black wire on pickup to the sleeve lug on the output jack along with bridge ground wire. The other wire (usually white) is the hot and should go to the tip lug.

jack_mono.jpg

I had to quit trying to find the problem, and I just got finished changing all the electronics and adding a pickup from a squier classic vibe p-bass. It sounds great now.

I think it was the output jack in the end, but I'll never be sure :p

Anyway, cheers for all the help and advice, I've got a great sounding bass now

Advertisement