Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin Marathon

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Love the blow by blow of the women's race! Will you slow down to my pace in Berlin, and give me a real-time account of how I'm doing? :D

I mightened have to slow down at all the way youre going!
    Seres wrote: »
    well done , was dying to know how the female race had panned out , how you managed such a great time yourself and to keep track of battle of the women up ahead is beyond me , i normally cant even remember the route i have ran

They were literally in the group just ahead so everytime I looked up I could see the changing positions. I assumed I would catch all but McCambridge and was very impressed with how McGloin and O'Doherty held theyre hard early pace. That said I should have been concentrating on my own efforts a bit more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

very good race report T runner...
    over the next few week you will have more important races anyway, like the half and 10miler, they are worth more to berlin so even if you arent happy with the time above, you could see better performances in the longer distance races...more tempo based running like

Thanks Seany. I was probably more miffed about the long run on sunday. I messed a lot of these up for my last marathon and annoyed I havent learnt my lesson. Youre right do the longer races are more important, more close to tempo and marathon pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

T runner wrote: »
    Race Streets of Galway 8k. Time 27.36

Great to see you on Saturday night. Hopefully i wasn't to slobbery after a day of drinking with my future brother in-law. :D Looking forward to getting back on my feet now and getting a few XC runs in for the Autumn. The streets of Galway is a race I would definitely like to try out next year. Looked like a great event. Talk soon. I will keep you posted if I get back to some regular runs.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Great to see you on Saturday night. Hopefully i wasn't to slobbery after a day of drinking with my future brother in-law. :D Looking forward to getting back on my feet now and getting a few XC runs in for the Autumn. The streets of Galway is a race I would definitely like to try out next year. Looked like a great event. Talk soon. I will keep you posted if I get back to some regular runs.

Do indeed Stmochtas. You werent slobbery at all for a man at a stag, you were quite lucid.

Was a great event. Good luck with teh return from injury, keep up the cross training and keep me posted

Tuesday 11 August

(Monday Rest)

Easy run 14k in 71 mins. Trails around Phoenix park.

Nice relaxing run. Kept it controlled and easy, kept form good. Some core exercises after.

Scheduled sessions for the week are: 52 min pace run, 10 by 2k, Long 35k

I was contemplating substituting the long with a hillrun to prepare for the Warriors run. However after my poor long run last week I am running out of oppurtunities. (racing 28th august and 6th september).

So a long run on tarmac it must be. I have decided to modify the pace run instead. Plan is warm up-15-20 minutes marathon race pace, Maulin ride climb by 3, 20 minutes marathon pace, warm down. Continuous run to get endurance benefits.

The climbs will help warriors run as will the fast running on legs tired from hillrunning.
    Also the 20 minutes at the end will be good marathon pace practice on tired legs. Its a better compromise than sacrificing the precious long run I think.

Wednesday 12th August

AM Core work in gym

PM 18k

Pace run/Warriors Run prep:

Started from Crone wood. Warmed up by jogging out onto teh tarmac road and running (up the valley) on the road for 15 minutes easy.

Then marathon/tempo effort for 5k back to car park and up to turn off for Maulin Ride climb.

3 times climb: 6:54, 6.58, 6.48

Then 5.75 k at marathon/tempo effort, easy run back to carpark to finish

Good session. First climb was the hardest. For the third climb I relaxed more and did more of a loping run up which worked well. I came down easily for the first 2 descents but quickened pace for the thir so that my legs would have to pick up the road pace after a fastish downhill which is what theyll have to do in Sligo. Uncomfortable for a while but kept the pace and legs improved after 10 minutes. That means tehres no point in in waiting for my legs to sort themselves out in Sligo, Ill be waiting 10 minutes. Will force them up to pace early.

Wednesday 12th August

AM Core work in gym

PM 18k

Pace run/Warriors Run prep:

Started from Crone wood. Warmed up by jogging out onto teh tarmac road and running (up the valley) on the road for 15 minutes easy.

Then marathon/tempo effort for 5k back to car park and up to turn off for Maulin Ride climb.

3 times climb: 6:54, 6.58, 6.48

Then 5.75 k at marathon/tempo effort, easy run back to carpark to finish

Good session. First climb was the hardest. For the third climb I relaxed more and did more of a loping run up which worked well. I came down easily for the first 2 descents but quickened pace for the thir so that my legs would have to pick up the road pace after a fastish downhill which is what theyll have to do in Sligo. Uncomfortable for a while but kept the pace and legs improved after 10 minutes. That means tehres no point in in waiting for my legs to sort themselves out in Sligo, Ill be waiting 10 minutes. Will force them up to pace early.

interesting session, mixing tempo and hill repeats...strenght and pace endurance really is a strong point of your running

seanynova wrote: »
    interesting session, mixing tempo and hill repeats...strenght and pace endurance really is a strong point of your running

Thanks. I wanted a run of maximum benefit to Warriors run without doing a long hil run (cant afford to lose a long road run now). Also wanted to get a pace/tempo run in for Berlin so hopefully killed two birds with one stone, or injured them atleast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Super session T. Keep it going. I'd offer to join you but there'd be no keeping up with you :)

• Advertisement

Super session T. Keep it going. I'd offer to join you but there'd be no keeping up with you :)

Hope to do plenty more in the Autumn and Winter. No marathons till at least Dublin next year after Berlin so plenty of time for hillrunning and shorter road races!

Thursday 12 August

Circuits 6 laps.

Felt good here, nice and strong. Easy run 5k also. Meant to do more but busy.

Bought a pair of Columbia Ravenous runners for warriors run.

Light enough 310 gr, great cushioning and excellent traction for grassy downhills. Going to test them for the 2ks tonight. They feel responsive enough.

My old Nike zoom trail were slipping a bit coming down the Maulin Ride. Great pair of shoes they are though. Theyll do for training and trail races now. Grip too worn for steep grass.

2ks tonight: Will start at 7:20s and work down. Imperative to get all 10 done so thats the main objective.

On Sundays long run of 35k may do first 27k averaging 4.25-30 perk and last 8k accelerating to 4.0 - 4.10.

This is in line with the P and D suggestion of running most of the session at 20% race pace with the last 8k at 10%.

Have only 3 long runs left If I can successfully do them all in this format it will be valuable indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

On Sundays long run of 35k may do first 27k averaging 4.25-30 perk and last 8k accelerating to 4.0 - 4.10.

Have only 3 long runs left If I can successfully do them all in this format it will be valuable indeed.

Savage session (although I had to get the calculator out to put all that into imperial measurements!).

When I read you only had 3 long runs left I thought you were slacking off, but then checked my own schedule and realised that's how close we're getting to the big day.

Friday 13 August

24k Session: 10 by 2k off 2 mins.

Average about 7.10-15

Ran slower than usual for these. Wanted to get them completed.

Leg strenght was tested at the end. Very good session. Maybe one of my last before Berlin at his volume.

Tried the runners I bought for warriors run. They are light 310gr but a little clunky. Will us them for long offroad races instead. Veering towards speedcross I's which are light, and flexible and close to the ground for descending.

Saturday 14th August

10.5k easy pace.

72.5k this week so far, 112k last week.

Peckham wrote: »
    Savage session (although I had to get the calculator out to put all that into imperial measurements!).

When I read you only had 3 long runs left I thought you were slacking off, but then checked my own schedule and realised that's how close we're getting to the big day.

Yep*thats right a 3 week taper is only 3 weeks away! I have a 10 miler and a half marathon in between so may miss one long run.

Great to read about your progression T. Keep it going, be positive and you'll get the outcome you deserve.

Tried the runners I bought for warriors run. They are light 310gr but a little clunky. Will us them for long offroad races instead. Veering towards speedcross I's which are light, and flexible and close to the ground for descending.

what shoes will you wear in Berlin?
    im thinking of getting a pair of flats, but ill assess my foot strike in the next week or so, with the increase in cadence im becoming more of a forefoot striker and such dont pronate as much...wearing mizuno inspire 6s at the mo, would be nice to be able to wear a lighter shoe for the race.

another good 2k session T runner, all you have to do now is keep the mileage up mid week with the races coming up and you should find a balance with racing and mileage

what shoes will you wear in Berlin?
    im thinking of getting a pair of flats, but ill assess my foot strike in the next week or so, with the increase in cadence im becoming more of a forefoot striker and such dont pronate as much...wearing mizuno inspire 6s at the mo, would be nice to be able to wear a lighter shoe for the race.

another good 2k session T runner, all you have to do now is keep the mileage up mid week with the races coming up and you should find a balance with racing and mileage

Hi Seany

Im wearing Nike Lunar Racers. They are very light (<200gr) but have cushioning like a heavier trainer.

They were great for Paris. I dont know if the Lunar Racer IIs are as good.

They might suit. The flats have less cushioning at the back so youll have to work your lower calves more. Takes getting used to. The Lunar Racers solve this as they are as light as any racer but have the cushioning. They come into their own late in the race.

Sunday 15/8/2010

Long Run: 35k

Good run. Ive pulled back the intensity of my sessions and recoveries this week as I felt I was losing control of the training. I have regained control somewhat. Havent got the kilometrage I want but happy apart from.
    This period (6-3 weeks before race) can be used for big specific sessions with light recovery days in between. Considering running 10-12 miles easy before the Frank Duffy and trying to run race pace (61 mins accounting for hills). We'll see.

5k Split paces for today.

05k 4.30
    10k 4:35
    15k 4:26
    20k 4:22
    25k 4:23
    30k 4:12
    35k 4:01

Pace for the first 2 hours was 4:26 (7:08) and final 31 mins was 4:06 (6:36)

Roughly in line with P and Ds 20% PMP and 10% PMP guidance so glad to have finally got a long run right. Finally showing the patience of a marathoner in these long runs.10 times bitten, shy at last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Great session T. A mighty marathon awaits!
    That's a fantastic effort to take into the warriors run too, very positive and controlled with a super final 5k.

Peterx wrote: »
    Great session T. A mighty marathon awaits!
    That's a fantastic effort to take into the warriors run too, very positive and controlled with a super final 5k.

I was actually thinking exactly the same as I was running it. I think/hope running a bit harder at the end of these long runs should be of particular benefit to any long race. Teaching the body to keep going at a fast pace when youre very tired.

Had 3 dyuralite mixed into my water container and had 3 gels during the run so that helped too. I was thinking of only using the gels when I was in dire need to help with the fat burning but at this stage the quality of the run is most important probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

I was actually thinking exactly the same as I was running it. I think/hope running a bit harder at the end of these long runs should be of particular benefit to any long race. Teaching the body to keep going at a fast pace when youre very tired.

Had 3 dyuralite mixed into my water container and had 3 gels during the run so that helped too. I was thinking of only using the gels when I was in dire need to help with the fat burning but at this stage the quality of the run is most important probably.

T did u do yesterdays run in Phoenix Park around 3ish????

liamo123 wrote: »
    T did u do yesterdays run in Phoenix Park around 3ish????

Nope, between 6:30 and 8:30 I think.

Monday 16th August

10k recovery

A little tired so kept it nice and easy.

Cycle to work and back 28k

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Lunch: 10k recovery/easy. Up to Killiney Hill and back from work. I was meant to do a second 10k run in the evening but I didnt feel recovered. I think the run immediately follwed by the cycle home monday night didnt work out and I didnt get appropriate rest afterv weekend. As Im entering a tricky period I think revoery outweighed mileage on this occasion.

Wednesday Looking forward to hill race tonight. Im still a bit tired but I should improve on my last outing hopefully.

Plan is for a medium long run on thursday, recovery friday, 10 by 2k on saturday AM. 32k long on sunday. Easy then until Warriors run bar a 10-15 by 400 metres at faster than race pace on tuesday.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 19 August

Race: Tibradden-Basecamp

2nd 40:29

Had a nice Warmup with Slogger, jogging up almost as far as the summit of Tibradden and down again. I like this type of warmup you are getting all the right muscles warmed up and also getting a look at the final k or 2.

I reckoned, I had an outside chance of the win here. My training partner Jason was in attendance. Hes slightly quicker on the flat and I was expecting him to be stronger on the climbing as well. Hes in marathon training too so his legs might be tired.

Went out hardish and was very suprised to see I had a built up a 15m lead on the chasers quite quickly. I felt I was pushing a bit to much but was well warmed up and able to maintain the effort. A small turn and a glance behind told me that Jason had left teh group in pursuit.

Turning into teh rougher climb I decided to run fast through the steeper parts with a high cadence, just not slowing for them. As the climb flattened towards the summit of Tibradden I stole another look behind and saw the gap was now sizeable. I was quite tired now and welcomed the flat section between Tibradden and the Wicklow way. I know Jason is a determined customer and I sensed that I perhaps pushing out here might push the gap into an irretrievable one. Its a long way to Fairy Castle (when youre jacked) so I decided to paly safe and concentrated on running with good form through controlled discomfort for this very runnable section.

Turning left onto Wicklow way I eased up the slight uphill I wanted to get my rythm back from earlier but fatigue meant that I couldnt quite get teh cadence up. I saw a flash of white not far enough behind and the first sense of being chased down. I upped it and passing Paul Mahon he told me the lead was 30 metres. Reaching the summit Enduro reckoned the same. Jason is an excellent descender so the race was on now.
    I strode out trying to cover the ground with long strides. Covered this initial rocky section OK, I relaxed as much as possible. Passing Paul Mahon again I guessed the lead was smaller. As I passed the John Shileds in camera after saying hello I noticed he stayed crouched for a photo of a nearing runner. Hoping that he had time to get up and stretch was just irrational.

This was not bad though. After the first rocky descent he had only gained about 10 metres. I pushed it back towards Tibradden hoping to gain the gap back which would put me in a good position before teh final descent.

Jason was clearly aware of the situation and managed to hold the gap.

I was going to have to descend well now. I raced past the summit. Plan was not to slow down over teh rough ground. I knew Jason wouldnt. I actually descended very well here and I reckoned I had maybe 10 secs.

Hearing Jasons number flap in the wind only 15 metres behind startled me. I lost my rythm a bit and fumbled past a family of walkers. Coming back onto teh fire roads Jason was just behind. I covered the few short stretches fast so taht he couldnt pass. I knes he had track speed so I was in trouble now.
    Sure enough once the fireroad opened out he speeded up and eased past.

I felt my goose was cooked now. I blew that thought out of my head seeing the last corner ahead. I fired into a 10 metre lead and rounded the corner. Doh! not the last one. Eased up a bit. Jason passed again. Trailed him to teh next corner, passed him just before it and then let fly again. I got 5 metres ahead realised that this wasnt the last corner either and legs filled with lactic now looked on helplessly as Jason sprinted passed. He rounded teh last corner and ran very hard to teh finish. I think he thought I was just behind him, but In jogged in 12 secs later.

I think once he caught me he had me for speed. I could have left my burst till te line was in sight, but I think he had me covered.

Pushing harder in the middle of the race might have been the way but who knows?

Very happy with hill fitnes before the Warriors run.

Total 15k

Wednesday 19 August

Race: Tibradden-Basecamp

2nd 40:29

Had a nice Warmup with Slogger, jogging up almost as far as the summit of Tibradden and down again. I like this type of warmup you are getting all the right muscles warmed up and also getting a look at the final k or 2.

I reckoned, I had an outside chance of the win here. My training partner Jason was in attendance. Hes slightly quicker on the flat and I was expecting him to be stronger on the climbing as well. Hes in marathon training too so his legs might be tired.

Went out hardish and was very suprised to see I had a built up a 15m lead on the chasers quite quickly. I felt I was pushing a bit to much but was well warmed up and able to maintain the effort. A small turn and a glance behind told me that Jason had left teh group in pursuit.

Turning into teh rougher climb I decided to run fast through the steeper parts with a high cadence, just not slowing for them. As the climb flattened towards the summit of Tibradden I stole another look behind and saw the gap was now sizeable. I was quite tired now and welcomed the flat section between Tibradden and the Wicklow way. I know Jason is a determined customer and I sensed that I perhaps pushing out here might push the gap into an irretrievable one. Its a long way to Fairy Castle (when youre jacked) so I decided to paly safe and concentrated on running with good form through controlled discomfort for this very runnable section.

Turning left onto Wicklow way I eased up the slight uphill I wanted to get my rythm back from earlier but fatigue meant that I couldnt quite get teh cadence up. I saw a flash of white not far enough behind and the first sense of being chased down. I upped it and passing Paul Mahon he told me the lead was 30 metres. Reaching the summit Enduro reckoned the same. Jason is an excellent descender so the race was on now.
    I strode out trying to cover the ground with long strides. Covered this initial rocky section OK, I relaxed as much as possible. Passing Paul Mahon again I guessed the lead was smaller. As I passed the John Shileds in camera after saying hello I noticed he stayed crouched for a photo of a nearing runner. Hoping that he had time to get up and stretch was just irrational.

This was not bad though. After the first rocky descent he had only gained about 10 metres. I pushed it back towards Tibradden hoping to gain the gap back which would put me in a good position before teh final descent.

Jason was clearly aware of the situation and managed to hold the gap.

I was going to have to descend well now. I raced past the summit. Plan was not to slow down over teh rough ground. I knew Jason wouldnt. I actually descended very well here and I reckoned I had maybe 10 secs.

Hearing Jasons number flap in the wind only 15 metres behind startled me. I lost my rythm a bit and fumbled past a family of walkers. Coming back onto teh fire roads Jason was just behind. I covered the few short stretches fast so taht he couldnt pass. I knes he had track speed so I was in trouble now.
    Sure enough once the fireroad opened out he speeded up and eased past.

I felt my goose was cooked now. I blew that thought out of my head seeing the last corner ahead. I fired into a 10 metre lead and rounded the corner. Doh! not the last one. Eased up a bit. Jason passed again. Trailed him to teh next corner, passed him just before it and then let fly again. I got 5 metres ahead realised that this wasnt the last corner either and legs filled with lactic now looked on helplessly as Jason sprinted passed. He rounded teh last corner and ran very hard to teh finish. I think he thought I was just behind him, but In jogged in 12 secs later.

I think once he caught me he had me for speed. I could have left my burst till te line was in sight, but I think he had me covered.

Pushing harder in the middle of the race might have been the way but who knows?

Very happy with hill fitnes before the Warriors run.

Total 15k

good race and race report, pity you went early on the final stretch, might have had him or at least given it a photo finish....still though, excellent session!

Nice report T. Very determined looking in the photos too. Looking good for Sligo.

your log is like the titanic its so deep into the logs..........

how is the training going???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck for the warriors run.

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best of luck for the warriors run.

Thanks a million, Gringo. Good luck yourself if competing.

your log is like the titanic its so deep into the logs..........

how is the training going???

Sorry, Seany have let the updating slide. Ill give the training summary now:

Thursday 20th August:

75 min aerobic run. Was a poor run. Meant to be either an easy recovery or a medium long run. Was neither. The first really poor run of the campaign.

Friday 21st August

10k recovery. Tired here.

Saturday 22nd august.

Watched the 10 miler in park then back to polo grounds for my 10 by 2k. The weather was hot and I was not feeling great at all, physically or mentally.

Did 6 by 2k and that was enough. No more was logical. They were very difficult. Not revovered from wednesday and after a few heavy weeks.

The 5th one slowed to 7.50. The others were between 7.20-30.

Was scheduled for 10 by 800m with one minute. This may have worked. The run on thursday was the problem i think.

Sunday 23rd August

Long run 33k: Ave 4.17k pace. More like it. Ballybough out to Howth village and back over the hill. I chose this way to get the steeper climb. Climbed very well using a fast cadence. Can I do this on saturday for a 15 minute and 300m ascent after 2.5 miles of 10m race pace? Well see. I reckon climbing thsi way induces the mediaum twith fibres type 2a. (according to latest running times). This dont have as much endurance, which might explain the disparagy between my two climbs at last wednesdays hill race. The first was fast with a high cadence, The second was more sloggish. Ive given the fibres two runs to improve endurance so hers hoping.

Monday August 24th

Recovery 6k

Tuesday August 24th

Recovery 5k

Meant to do 400s on the track, butb muscles etc a wee bit sore from weekend so didnt risk it.

Wednesday August 25th

2 by 5 by 400m. 90 secs rest 4 mins between sets.

Not too strenous although the pace was a slight shock at the start.

Ave about 78 secs. I was advised to do these at faster than race pace as a prep for race day. A good session.

Thursday Rest

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Good luck on the weekend. :)

best of luck in berlin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have a good one - best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

How did you get on in Berlin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

heffsarmy wrote: »
    How did you get on in Berlin?

+1. I checked your name and it said 3:57?? That cant be right. Hope there wasnt some major catastrophy.

Advertisement