Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography predictions

Options
  • 31-05-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Anybody want to share predictions? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Physical:
    Landform development
    Formation of sedimentary and resulting landscape
    Humans and natural processes
    Humans interaction with rock cycle

Regional:
    India primary and secondary
    Dublin tertiary
    Belgium cultural region

Geoecology:
    Characteristics of a biome

Human Elective:
    Migration
    Overpopulation

What topics are you covering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

is characheristics of a biome likely to come up and if so how should you layout this answer?

physical
    formation of waterfall
    quarrying
    global distribution of earthquakes and volcanoes(link to plate tectonics)
    karst region-burren

region
    primary-bmw
    secondary-dublin
    teriary-dublin

primary-paris
    secondary-paris
    teriarty-mezzogiorno

cultural-belgium

economic elective
    globalisations and colononialisation
    mncs
    fossil fuels

Yep biome characteristics is the most likely biome question to appear because the human question was asked last year.

You are required to talk about 3/4 elements in your answer so you could divide it into soil climate animals and plants or just 3 of those but in more detail. I think doing 4 is easier though because you can write less on any one particular point that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I don't really care for predictions about Geography because you have a nice choice of questions on that paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Limerickhurler

Victoria. wrote: »
    Yep biome characteristics is the most likely biome question to appear because the human question was asked last year.

You are required to talk about 3/4 elements in your answer so you could divide it into soil climate animals and plants or just 3 of those but in more detail. I think doing 4 is easier though because you can write less on any one particular point that way!

I have an essay about the development of a biome which covers plants, climate and animals, would that be the same thing? The word development is just confusing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

It's basically the same paper every year. Once you can answer questions on one year, you can answer them all.

I have an essay about the development of a biome which covers plants, climate and animals, would that be the same thing? The word development is just confusing me.

Yeh it would be. It's the way that plants and animals have adapted to the conditions in their environment. You would do the same about climate and soil and outline those. Then you would do your other two paragraphs about plants and animals just stating 'these unique examples of plants and animals have adapted in this region as a result of these soil and climate characteristics'.

Just give a few examples like nocturnal animals who avoid the hot temperatures of the day and predators. Animals that use camouflage to conceal themselves or others that use it to sneak up on their prey. Plants that have waterproof cuticles that minimise water loss in a desert. Insect pollinated plants that are brightly coloured and smell sweet to attract insects. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Megsy

So do people think Migration, out-migration, overpopulation etc. is very likely to come up this year? Because I am finding Geography seriously overwhelming at this stage and that is pretty much the majority of what I know for the human elective.

Megsy wrote: »
    So do people think Migration, out-migration, overpopulation etc. is very likely to come up this year? Because I am finding Geography seriously overwhelming at this stage and that is pretty much the majority of what I know for the human elective.

Yeh those things come up every year. You should be fine :)
    My weakest area in geog is definitely the human elective don't know why I think its because I crammed it before the mocks and it was never given as much time as regional or physical.

I'm doing

• migration
    • overpopulation
    • donor effects migration
    • receiver effects migration
    • urban problems
    • urban sprawl
    • density and distribution contributing factors

Yeh those things come up every year. You should be fine :)
    My weakest area in geog is definitely the human elective don't know why I think its because I crammed it before the mocks and it was never given as much time as regional or physical.

I'm doing

• migration
    • overpopulation
    • donor effects migration
    • receiver effects migration
    • urban problems
    • urban sprawl
    • density and distribution contributing factors

Yeah I'm the same! It's relatively straight-forward but it still just goes over my head haha.

Your list sounds good, I know most of them too so I'm feeling a bit better about it now!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm the same! It's relatively straight-forward but it still just goes over my head haha.

Your list sounds good, I know most of them too so I'm feeling a bit better about it now!

Yep seems pretty basic :)
    Just the last thing I study all the time!
    Strange, only part of geog I'm really worried about!

Has anybody studied a climate region?
    Was wondering if it came up which as far as I know it never has could I just wing it and use stuff that I know for a biome question?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

I've only revised overpopulation, with about fifteen facts. :/
    I'm not sure about migration as it appeared the past two years, but I guess there only about six main sections in Patterns & Processes in the Human Environment.

Does anybody have any more predictions about what might come up in regional?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's likely that the plate tectonics question could be 'What is the evidence for plate tectonics?' or something along those lines.

Does anybody have any more predictions about what might come up in regional?

Sub-continent:
    • Primary
    • Secondary
    • Culture is very likely

Irish:
    • Teriary
    • Secondary

Paris Basin
    • Tertiary probably tourism
    • Primary activities

Mezz:
    • Tourism
    • Just a general answer on population distribution and contributing factors

Belgium:
    • Culture

EU and Ireland

That's what I'm doing hope helps!

Sub-continent:
    • Primary
    • Secondary
    • Culture is very likely

Irish:
    • Teriary
    • Secondary

Paris Basin
    • Tertiary probably tourism
    • Primary activities

Mezz:
    • Tourism
    • Just a general answer on population distribution and contributing factors

Belgium:
    • Culture

EU and Ireland

That's what I'm doing hope helps!

Yes it really does thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AK.

if characteristics of a biome dont come up i think ill just sit and cry for the hole exam.. iv spent 16 hours over the last 2days doing geography and im still screwed :(

Physical:
    Landform development
    Formation of sedimentary and resulting landscape
    Humans and natural processes
    Humans interaction with rock cycle

Regional:
    India primary and secondary
    Dublin tertiary
    Belgium cultural region

Geoecology:
    Characteristics of a biome

Human Elective:
    Migration
    Overpopulation

What topics are you covering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AK.

is culture of belgium definitly going to come up. i cant find anything in my book. anyone no wer i could find a good essay to learn?

AK. wrote: »
    is culture of belgium definitly going to come up. i cant find anything in my book. anyone no wer i could find a good essay to learn?

Yep very good chance!
    Do sub cont culture as well like India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

My teacher reckons the formation of igneous rocks will come up because sedimentary rocks has come up a few times all ready, every year human interaction with either the rock cycle or mass movement comes up, the rock cycle one is more common, I think there was only one year when it didn't come up and sometimes both come up, also secondary activities in a sub-continental region has never come up so that's probably worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

AK. wrote: »

Use the edco papers and find out where questions to do with culture came up and use the www.e-xamit.ie code and print out an answer! Its all about the Flemish and Flanders etc. Maybe google it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aoife365

In geoecology what can you say about brown soils i have checked my books but there is just a little bit on it how can you write 2-3 pageson it :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Did you try wikipedia? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_earth)

Make sure you have it divided into 3 or 4 main points/paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

aoife365 wrote: »
    In geoecology what can you say about brown soils i have checked my books but there is just a little bit on it how can you write 2-3 pageson it :(

I'd write paragraphs on:
    • What soil I have chosen, what it contains etc.
    • Mineral matter
    • Organic matter and Humus
    • Air and Water
    • Soil pH
    • Soil Colour
    • Structure
    • Texture
    • Types of soils in Ireland
    I hope Characteristics of a biome come up instead though because I can't for the life of me remember this, no matter how many times I study it! Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My class are doing the Tropical Rainforest biome but I think it's easier to answer on the desert biome (e.g. southwest USA). Is this ok to do? Do many people do this biome, for the characteristics?

I am only learning off four answers for Geoecology - I hope I'm ok with my choices

• Characteristics of a biome - Desert Biome
    • Plant/animal adaptations to a biome - Tropical Rainforest (it isn't that easy to answer this using the desert biome)
    • Composition + Characteristics of a soil - Brown Earth Soil
    • How humans accelerate soil erosion - desertification in the Sahel

Hopefully I'll be ok with this. I've checked back through all the years and I would have been able to answer at least one of the questions with one of these answers

My class are doing the Tropical Rainforest biome but I think it's easier to answer on the desert biome (e.g. southwest USA). Is this ok to do? Do many people do this biome, for the characteristics?

I am only learning off four answers for Geoecology - I hope I'm ok with my choices

• Plant/animal adaptations to a biome - Tropical Rainforest (it isn't that easy to answer this using the desert biome)
    Hopefully I'll be ok with this. I've checked back through all the years and I would have been able to answer at least one of the questions with one of these answers

Yeah you should be fine, my teacher only told us we needed to know two, i'm learning three to be safe though; Characteristics of a biome, a question on soils and a question on human activity in biomes. I know deforestation for the economic section but don't think i'd be able to do an answer worth 80marks on it.

As for biomes, I like the rainforest one and know it off by heart so i'd be delighted if it came up but if you have enough on the desert there's no reason why you couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Hopefully? You should be 100% covered with these four learnt off. I only really know the characteristics of the desert biome but this practically covers me for how plant, animal has adapted.

Secondary India looks almost a definite to come up.

The patterns and processes in human environment is definately the most difficult section on the paper.

Thanks for the replies

Does anybody have any tips for learning off the Regional Section? I have left my study a bit too late, and I am finding the Regional Section very large and overwhelming.

I mean there is the GDA, BMW, Paris Basin, Mezzogiorno and Subcontinental Regions, and each of those have Primary, Economic and Tertiary. That's 15 answers already. Add in the development of an urban region for GDA, Paris Basin and Subcontinental, that's 18. Then there is cultural differences in a subcontinental region, and also importance of culture in defining a region. That's 20 now!

Then there are regions of culture (Belgium, Gaeltacht, Islam World). That's 23 so far!
    Then there is the whole EU expansion case study! (it's very difficult to learn).

*Head explodes at the thought of learning 24 answers*

Does anybody have any tips for the learning Regional Section? I find it by far the most difficult section to study for, as there is simply so much.

This time next week Geography will be finished with!

• Advertisement

I've had different teachers for Geography and never really understood it but I went up to my teacher last week and told her and she explained it really well. Break it up into sections.

Primary: Talk about farming, fishing and/or forestry (depends on the place). If you talk abot farming focus on relief, soils, climate and drainage. You can make a whole question on farming but i'd usually talk about the others briefly aswel.

Secondary: I'd focus on manufacturing and MNC's locating in an area (already know it from economic) I'd write about markets,free trade, labour, communications, transport, government influence etc.

Tertiary: I'd focus on Tourism (accessibility, amenities and attractions) and sometimes if I didn't have enough I'd write about transport aswel.

I wouldn't learn about each activity for each region though.
    I know 3 for each, one in Europe, one in Ireland and then the Sub continent.

When I go into the exam i'll write what I did just there and then be able to match it to whatever question I get. Then I'd also earn off culture for the Sub Continent (my teacher thinks it's going to come up) and urban growth for Dublin and Paris.

Advertisement