Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography predictions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

We have done 2 non Irish european regions but is there any need to do two? would one be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Alice10 wrote: »
    We have done 2 non Irish european regions but is there any need to do two? would one be enough?

I've done two aswel, the Mezzigiorno and the Paris Basin. I'm going to talk about both. The Mezzigorno for Primary and Secondary activities and the Paris Basin for tertiary activities and Urban Growth. As far as I know they havn't specified asking us to answer about activities in a core or Periphary (thats probably spelled wrong) region but I guess there's nothing stopping them.

Would anyone have a sample essay on the characteristics of a Biome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

ye desert biome pref...wud be swellll

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

They have good sample answers in revise wise if any of you have that!
    I'm doing the rainforest though so sorry don't know anything about desert biome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's for that post about regions DancingQueen - it was extremely helpful!

Im doing cool temperate deciduous forest biome and we never did an essay on the characteristics

Alice10 wrote: »
    Im doing cool temperate deciduous forest biome and we never did an essay on the characteristics

You sure about that? It's usually the first thing you do!
    Basically you just split it into four parts:
    • Soil
    • Climate
    • Animals
    • Plants
    And you write as much as you can in the time limit. It says to so the question addressing 3/4 elements so actually you can leave one of those out if you want but I find it easier to do all four and write less on each! Hope that helps, maybe you just did each bit in class but didn't write it into essay form! Should be couple of pages.

Good one this year actually to study, human interaction came up last year!
    Luck to ya with the study. :)
    Hope that helps a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Does anyone know if studying Egypt is ok as a subcontinental I have great answers for it I got off a leaving very website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erica!

fufureida wrote: »
    Does anyone know if studying Egypt is ok as a subcontinental I have great answers for it I got off a leaving very website...

Hey am i went onto the geography syllabus there (www.education.ie)- Geography revised syllabus... Pg 14 it just says a NON eu region... it doesnt actually specify (as far as i can see) but i think you should ask a teacher iv never heard of anyone doing egypt as a subcontinental...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erica!

and does anyone know if its actually compulsory to devide the long essay up into 3/4 sections?

erica! wrote: »
    and does anyone know if its actually compulsory to devide the long essay up into 3/4 sections?

Yes it definitely is. It says you must address the question in 3/4 separate parts it actually says this on the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

What exactly do you write about for Belgium and culture...
    Could you take the Gaeltacht instead?

Ps...
    Any predictions on Culture and Identity or Human Elective?

GVNDNN wrote: »
    What exactly do you write about for Belgium and culture...
    Could you take the Gaeltacht instead?

Ps...
    Any predictions on Culture and Identity or Human Elective?

Belgium:
    I usually write about the differences in culture of Flanders and Wallonia, this answer would focus on language. You should study it, very likely to come up or maybe culture in your subcontinent region like India.

I don't do that option on Culture and Identity so can't help you there sorry.

Human Elective:
    1. Migration
    2. Overpopulation
    3. Problems in cities
    4. 2 land use models - probably concentric zone and multiple nuclei
    5. Urban growth
    6. Historic settlement

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

xxmeabhxx wrote: »
    My teacher reckons the formation of igneous rocks will come up because sedimentary rocks has come up a few times all ready, every year human interaction with either the rock cycle or mass movement comes up, the rock cycle one is more common, I think there was only one year when it didn't come up and sometimes both come up, also secondary activities in a sub-continental region has never come up so that's probably worth looking at.

If human interaction with the rock cycle comes up could they ask for a specific way humans interact withe the rock cycle eg. geothermal energy, or will they give you a choice?

Also, does anyone think that the characteristics of a biome is a likely question? And the characteristics of a soil type?
    Thanks peeps.

pbowenroe wrote: »
    If human interaction with the rock cycle comes up could they ask for a specific way humans interact withe the rock cycle eg. geothermal energy, or will they give you a choice?

There will always be a choice because as far as I know you only have to study one.

Also, does anyone think that the characteristics of a biome is a likely question? And the characteristics of a soil type?
    Thanks peeps.

Characteristics of a biome definitely :)

Thanks Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Advice?

I'm looking to study secondary sector of a Continetal/Sub-Continetal region

Anyone have anybody prepared.

• Advertisement

Anybody doing the economic elective?
    If so, what are you gonna study for it? Or should i say have studied:D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

I checked the syllabus on www.ncca.ie (very handy website btw if you're unsure about the syllabus in any subject) and it says you only have to do one out of mining, extraction of building materials, oil gas exploitation and geothermal energy production, every year it's come up they've always given a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Do you think would it be enough just to have two essays prepared for geoecology? Iv done characteristics of a biome and human interaction with a biome, both the amazon rainforest. Whats the chances that at least one of these will come up do you think? I know a rough outline for soil erosion, desertification, soil composition and all those but don't have anywhere near enough to write an essay on them.

Im grand for physical geography, but have yet to do anything for regional geography or the human environment elective, and I hate the two of those. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

Anybody doing the economic elective?
    If so, what are you gonna study for it? Or should i say have studied:D

mnc-global nature of activities
    colonisation and adjustment to globalisation-india
    economic and environmental impact of continued reliance o fossil fuels

mite be more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

Anyone think that -factors that influence soil characteristics might come up for the Geoecology?? hasn't come up since 2006...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 leavingcert92

ARGH regional geog is so overwhelming!! :(

just looking at the past papers and marking schemes and if they say "Examine the development of tertiary/primary/secondary economic activities in ......" you have to put down two factors.. But I only have once factor in each of my primary activities (ie primary activities in India, Paris and Mezz are all just Agirculture) I have two for BMW in Ireland (agriculture and fishing) but I was wondering is it possible they could ask you for more than one primary activity in a non-irish region??

also if asked for culture in subcontinental region (india) would I get any marks if i included the whole religious divide or is that a seperate topic all together??

sorry if I'm really inarticulate! my brain is fryed with all the cramming atm... any help greatly appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

ARGH regional geog is so overwhelming!! :(

just looking at the past papers and marking schemes and if they say "Examine the development of tertiary/primary/secondary economic activities in ......" you have to put down two factors.. But I only have once factor in each of my primary activities (ie primary activities in India, Paris and Mezz are all just Agirculture) I have two for BMW in Ireland (agriculture and fishing) but I was wondering is it possible they could ask you for more than one primary activity in a non-irish region??

also if asked for culture in subcontinental region (india) would I get any marks if i included the whole religious divide or is that a seperate topic all together??

sorry if I'm really inarticulate! my brain is fryed with all the cramming atm... any help greatly appreciated! :)

Im sure they could, why not? Just know farming and fishing. As for Paris basin stuff, know the whole cheese production stuff and wine? its not hard. Im leaving regional till the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 smithy4mcavan

Hi all,

Just to clarify on Human Interaction, I'm studying The Three Gorges Dam case study, is it alright to use that study for an answer for both these questions:

Examine, with reference to one of the following, how human activities can impact on surface
    processes:
    * Mass movement processes
    * River processes
    * Coastal processes.

With reference to an example you have studied, describe and account for one way in which
    humans attempt to influence or control natural processes. In your answer, refer to one of the
    following:
    * Fluvial processes
    * Marine processes
    * Mass movement

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Just had a quick glanze through some of the posts and thought I'd try and help.

Physical Geog

I've studied:

Proceses which shaped a irish landform by Erosion and Deposition.
    Humans interfer with a surface processes. I studied The 3 gorges Dam Project.
    Human interaction with the Rock Cycle. I studied Tara Mines
    The Rock cycle
    Destructive/constructive plate boundaries.

Regional

Well when I type P=Primary, S=Secondary T=Teritary

P,S,T In a Irish region
    P,S,T In a European region and Physical processes in a european region
    P,S,T in a Sub continental Region

Changing boundaries in a Cultural Region
    Climatic Region
    Administrative Region
    Region of Industrial Decline
    Geomorphic region
    Cultural Region

Human Elective

Impacts of Rural to Urban Migration
    Change in Pop.Density and Distribution

Geoecology

I heard a Biome question Has to come up

And theres a pattern that every 2 years Main characteristics of a biome comes up. So 2010 is the year that should come up.

I also studied, How plants and animals adapt to the biome.

I also have some of the Soil essays but didn't study them

I think I needed to study more for human elective? anybody able to help me out?

If anybody needs help with anything I posted above, I would be able to help, just throw a PM at me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Ok... does a biome definitely have to come up?

I haven't done soils... I wasn't in when we covered it and then I kinda got lazy because I knew biomes.. and now I'm a bit worried because I thought that biomes had to come up but my teacher said that she wouldn't risk not learning soils........

Basically.... will I be ok just learning characteristics and human interaction with the biome?

Advertisement