Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in an apartment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well i'm not being harsh about them at all, although if I told you all that's been going on I'm sure you would think it's justified. I'm just saying I went to them Saturday about catching him, and it hasn't happened yet, and I've in the meantime tried my best to sort things out, without any help. I'm worn out is all.

And I didn't mean it to sound like I ran at him, I didn't. I ran over to the wall, then stopped, then he saw me, just as I got to the gate, and I closed it. He ran over to the wall and scrambled up to jump over it. I didn't scare him, I didn't run at him.

He's not wary of traffic at all, he walks on the road all day, to avoid people on the footpath, he's just that afraid of people. So I didn't scare him off into the traffic. I've put quite a lot of work and time into all this, so I don't like being told I'm doing something wrong, when I'm not. I'm doing my best.

I was able to rub him for a good bit earlier, he seemed to like it, closed his eyes and stayed there for a good while. After a while he did move off though, but I think he was too warm where he was. I know he won't let me rub him again, so that's that done with. All I can hope for now is that they come to trap him tomorrow, and I can get him into the apartment, and maybe he'll learn to calm a bit, and not be so afraid.

And thats what they deal with all day every day, imagine how worn out they are, emotionally and physically.

Why do you think he won't let you rub him again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I know he won't let me rub him because I've tried several times since this morning, and I've tried to get a collar on him twice or three times since, and have walked after him trying to make sure he was ok twice since, which he doesn't like. So he'll have lost his trust with me.

I know he won't let me rub him because I've tried several times since this morning, and I've tried to get a collar on him twice or three times since, and have walked after him trying to make sure he was ok twice since, which he doesn't like. So he'll have lost his trust with me.

Which is why I suggested you don't try to catch him for a few days, just sit quietly and let him come to you. Unfortunately, whatever has happened to him has made him lose all trust in people, so it needs to be rebuilt very slowly. It is incredibly frustrating I know, but rushing it will just freak him out more.

Don't make eye contact with him, and try to get down on his level, hunker down, or sit on the ground near him. Somebody has obviously treated him very badly, and he doesn't know that you are a good person, trying to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Hey,A slight bit of advice hope it helps as others have pointed out get down on the ground close to him slowly and keep eyes averted allow him to smell you and then offer him small pieces of chicken or something sweet like peanut butter.Let him settle down relaxing,You dont have to pet him.
    Then do what Toulouse said on previous page,dont try to use a collar as to much hassle when a dog is skittish.As you feed him slide it slowly over his head in leaving it very loose till around his neck.Dont make sudden movements.
    Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Fair play OP, you really are doing your best for the little fella :)

When I was taking my dog for a walk this evening I brought some food in case I saw him and there he was in his little patch on the green.
    Of course he froze when he saw me and wouldn't dare come near me but I put the dog food out and he came and ate that.
    I didn't dare try and approach him however as it was rush hour and I was afraid that he would just run under a car.

Poor devil must have been severly mistreated to have so little trust in people.

You are being very kind OP but I can understand your frustration as you only want the best for him and have put a lot of time and effort into his well being.

• Advertisement

No sign of animal welfare today.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

No sign of animal welfare today.........
    Ah no way :( They really need much more manpower etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Great work OP .
    Humans are possibly the only species that can offer selfless love and care .
    this is difficult for other species to understand !!

I'm always proud to see kind natured people like yourself !
    It almost balances out the level of nasty people we have in society .

best of luck with this fella , he looks a real dote :)

hope he dosent end up amongst a large group of dogs .
    By dog nature , Violence is only used when the relationship has not been properly established .

He may be a whipping boy for the dominant guys , I fear .

He looks young , and can re-invigour and strengten his personality with some warm TLC .
    He will also return this with unconditional loyalty and companionship !

Hope he works out in your apartment , and with his charming looks , you wont be too long about finding a good familyh ome for the guy eventuallly .

I called by his patch yesterday with some food but no sign of him.

Will pop by again over the weekend.
    Even if I could catch him he could stay with me for a while until somewhere safe is found for him.
    I have a back garden that he would be very safe in.
    Not sure how my Ruby would take to the intrusion but I'm sure she'd get over it :)

OP I have sent you a PM with my mobile in case you do get to catch him in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Millie wrote: »
    I called by his patch yesterday with some food but no sign of him.

Will pop by again over the weekend.
    Even if I could catch him he could stay with me for a while until somewhere safe is found for him.
    I have a back garden that he would be very safe in.
    Not sure how my Ruby would take to the intrusion but I'm sure she'd get over it :)

Thanks for the PM. It would be great for him to have a back yard, as I don't have any space like this in my apartment. The problem is in catching him. He's just impossible to get. I need LAW to come out with a trap, but am still waiting on them. Have a feeling it won't be till next week now. Thanks for the offer anyway, I'll see how we go. Don't worry about feeding him anyway, I feed him enough every day, and get him clean water, although he doesn't seem to want to drink. But if you want to and he's not on the green most of the time he'll be in the grounds of the CBS up around the corner (normally lying beside a tree/shrubs).

The only real thing to worry about with him is getting knocked down when he walks into town on the road. But there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Thanks for your support Millie. I might end up ringing you yet :)

EDIT: By the way if it turns out that we do catch him and it would be better for him to have a back yard, just beware that I think he'll be a lot of work. I mean in terms of house training, and walking etc. He's going to take a while to get used to feeling safe around people. Although being around another dog may be very good for him.

No worries, if I can help out then he's more than welcome.

Still nothing from LAW. . . . . And now I can't seem to find Toby anywhere. Haven't seen him since this morning. Hopefully he'll be back tomorrow morning.

Well Toby is back in his daytime patch for now, still no word from LAW. It's now been a week since I brought him to their attention. Don't know how much longer it's going to take.

Well after another day of waiting, and seeing toby running out into a busy junction, I'm trying to think is there anyway of catching him myself. Does anyone have any ideas? Wondering would it work if there were enough people to corner him and grab him.

Well after another day of waiting, and seeing toby running out into a busy junction, I'm trying to think is there anyway of catching him myself. Does anyone have any ideas? Wondering would it work if there were enough people to corner him and grab him.

Which is why I suggested you don't try to catch him for a few days, just sit quietly and let him come to you. Unfortunately, whatever has happened to him has made him lose all trust in people, so it needs to be rebuilt very slowly. It is incredibly frustrating I know, but rushing it will just freak him out more.

Don't make eye contact with him, and try to get down on his level, hunker down, or sit on the ground near him. Somebody has obviously treated him very badly, and he doesn't know that you are a good person, trying to help.

ISDW wrote: »

ok, but you're not getting how afraid of people he is. he just won't voluntarily come over to me, so I'm not going to do that.

ok, but you're not getting how afraid of people he is. he just won't voluntarily come over to me, so I'm not going to do that.

Try this site.
    http://www.cesarsway.com/

caseyann wrote: »

Thanks for that, but can't seem to find anything appropriate.

Thanks for that, but can't seem to find anything appropriate.
    I found this reply to someone who had asked about their dog who is scared of everything that they rescued.
    From what you describe, it appears that the dog has a high level of fear, which means a high level of distrust for humans. Focus on rebuilding that trust. Cases that involve a lack of trust - shy, fearful, or insecure dogs - take longer than those which involve a lack of respect.

I watched a show of his before and he said with stray dogs gain trust and let them come to you ofc approach as close as you can,and then get down and bow your head no eye contact leave food in hand and let the dog come to you.The dog sniffs you dont try to grab,and have patience.
    Something sweet might work better or chicken pieces.

You are welcome hope it helps.
    You can always ask a question on the site.I dont know how long it takes to get a response though.

• Advertisement

caseyann wrote: »
    You can always ask a question on the site.I dont know how long it takes to get a response though.

Oh ya I actually meant to go back to this. I will do now.

I could try just sitting there with some food in my hand, I just really don't think it'll work, and then if it doesn't when do I give in and give him the food? He needs to eat. But then if he's getting food from other people passing by maybe it won't work cause he's not bothered, as he'll get something else later without having to 'work' for it.

Edit: I've written a question and submitted it although I've no idea how long it'll take to get a response even if I do get one - here's the paragraph on the forms page:

'Submit your question to be considered for the Ask Cesar column. Shorter emails are more likely to be chosen, so be succinct! Be advised that only one to four emails out of the thousands of questions received a month are selected for Cesar to answer. If you are dealing with a behavioral issue, we recommend seeking help in your area.'

So I don't know that I should hold my breath.

Oh ya I actually meant to go back to this. I will do now.

I could try just sitting there with some food in my hand, I just really don't think it'll work, and then if it doesn't when do I give in and give him the food? He needs to eat. But then if he's getting food from other people passing by maybe it won't work cause he's not bothered, as he'll get something else later without having to 'work' for it.

Edit: I've written a question and submitted it although I've no idea how long it'll take to get a response even if I do get one - here's the paragraph on the forms page:

'Submit your question to be considered for the Ask Cesar column. Shorter emails are more likely to be chosen, so be succinct! Be advised that only one to four emails out of the thousands of questions received a month are selected for Cesar to answer. If you are dealing with a behavioral issue, we recommend seeking help in your area.'

So I don't know that I should hold my breath.

Well for the food thing,offer him something no dog can resist sweet something:D
    Only way he will not want it is if he is stuffed:p
    I remember in the show watching him with a stray dog he said,dont be thinking it wont work dont be worried or nervous as the dog will know and wont trust you and no eye contact,till you feel the dog relax.If a dog bows its head to you it is showing respect and surrender.
    But never ever chase a dog always stay confident and relaxed and breathe.

I really dont know if you will get a reply.Worth a try.
    Fair play to you,you are very good person:)

Ok, I'll do it in the morning so at the time I'd usually feed him. I'll go get some small treats or something and hand him them instead.

I'll report back tomorrow so.....

I'm sorry but you're asking for advise, and then when you get it you dismiss it out of hand. I am getting how scared of people he is, thats why it could take you a long time, but you have got to be patient. If you have to sit there for 4 hours a day for 4 days, then thats what it will take.

Unfortunately in a situation like this there is no quick fix, it takes a long time and a lot of patience.

Best of luck.

I got some treats, and went and sat near to him. If I was too near then he'd have run away. So I sat a little away from him, and he ignored me. To let him know I had food, I threw him a little bit. So he came over a little. Then put some on my hand, all the time turned away from him.

I waited. And after a while I checked what he was doing, he was lying down where he had gotten the first piece and was gone asleep. So he wasn't bothered about getting the piece in my hand, or at least couldn't see it. So after another while I threw that piece over, so he'd have to come closer to me, so he could see the next piece in my hand. And he did come over. Again, I waited.

After a while I checked, and he had gone asleep again. But after a minute he got up and moved way back over to where he originally was, where he couldn't really see my hand anyway. So there was no point in staying there. I put the piece back in the pack, and came home.

I haven't fed him yet today, but I'll go down in a bit with some fresh water.

I don't mind doing all this if it'll work, but there's obviously no point in sitting there when he's goin off to sleep. And the thing I'm also worrying about is other people do feed him during the day, so if they do, he's going to be less bothered about my treats, isn't he?

I'm going to go out again in a bit and try it again, but you're not meant to give too many of these to a dog in a day. So after the next time, should I feed him food then?

I got some treats, and went and sat near to him. If I was too near then he'd have run away. So I sat a little away from him, and he ignored me. To let him know I had food, I threw him a little bit. So he came over a little. Then put some on my hand, all the time turned away from him.

I waited. And after a while I checked what he was doing, he was lying down where he had gotten the first piece and was gone asleep. So he wasn't bothered about getting the piece in my hand, or at least couldn't see it. So after another while I threw that piece over, so he'd have to come closer to me, so he could see the next piece in my hand. And he did come over. Again, I waited.

After a while I checked, and he had gone asleep again. But after a minute he got up and moved way back over to where he originally was, where he couldn't really see my hand anyway. So there was no point in staying there. I put the piece back in the pack, and came home.

I haven't fed him yet today, but I'll go down in a bit with some fresh water.

I don't mind doing all this if it'll work, but there's obviously no point in sitting there when he's goin off to sleep. And the thing I'm also worrying about is other people do feed him during the day, so if they do, he's going to be less bothered about my treats, isn't he?

I'm going to go out again in a bit and try it again, but you're not meant to give too many of these to a dog in a day. So after the next time, should I feed him food then?

That's good progress again,Without out making eye contact and slowly progress towards him when he is relaxed as close as you can.Dont be nervous or anxious just slowly approach him.Then sit down again.It is definitely going to take a little time for him to want to come over to you as we all know trust takes time.
    Chicken pieces always goes down nice with a dog,but you can try the dog food as well.
    Fair play to you :)good luck

Thats brilliant progress, the fact that he will relax enough to go to sleep when you're close to him is a sign that he trusts you. If you have the time, and its a nice day, even though I know you don't think you're getting anywhere, if you just sit there reading, or listing to music, and he lies there sleeping, believe me, you are getting somewhere and he will become more and more accustomed to you and know that you don't mean him any harm.

The real difficulty is not rushing it, knowing when the time is right to put a slip lead over his head. If you do it too soon, he'll lose his trust in you again.

Don't worry about him not being interested in the food, just get him used to you being there and not hurting him, thats a powerful message to him.

Well done.

Another problem! I was down at the park feeding the pigeons, I was just leaving when I saw a stray dog. called him over and he came. let me rub him for ages. He's all dirty, and has no collar. so after a bit of following to see where he was going, I decided I'd try take him home to feed him, as he'd been looking at other peoples food. Not scared or anything, but just submissive. He went into a shop, I couldn't get him out by calling him. So I picked him up. And I walked all the way home with him.

I'm not obsessed with having a dog!!! I swear!

So he came in, i put him down. he looked around, climbed up to the window sill, and laid down. I gave him water, he drank some, I gave him food, he ate some. And now he's lying down having a rest, goin in and out of sleep.

He's a lovely little thing. So tame. Animal welfare won't answer phones today. So what can I do? I'll have to ring them tuesday. I already have a collar and leash do in a while I'll try get it on him and bring him out for pees and poos. I'm lost!

How do people with dogs get shopping done? He's a bit jittery about noises, though maybe just wary more than afraid, so I don't want to put on the oven. And I need to get more dog food in, and need to feed Toby, but how can I now? I can't just leave him here, he could chew up everything. The person I live with is going to be back around half 5 I think, so maybe i can leave it til then.

Oh and by the way he was running out on the road too, same as Toby, so he was in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I used to work at the LAW sanctuary in Kilfinane and I have volunteered with them for many years. Those girls go above and beyond the call of duty, day after day. The problem OP is that the girls at the sanctuary are tied down there looking after the animals and they can't spare someone to drive the 30 miles into Limerick to try and catch the dog. That's the truth. I'm sure any of them would give it a go after work, or on their day off, but it's a long way to travel in for a dog that in all likelihood will take weeks to catch. He needs one person to build up a relationship with until he trusts them and can be caught. It's no easy task. If someone manages to catch him, the girls will do their utmost to find a space for him. I'm sure they are very grateful to you for trying to help him. Our vet in Limerick City will hold him until there's space - that's why they suggested handing him in to the vet if he's rescued. We don't have any traps that are big enough to fit a dog, though - just cat traps. In dealing with LAW, I wouldn't be waiting for a phonecall - the girls just haven't time to make outgoing calls and are dealing with incoming calls all day - many of them emergencies just like this poor little lad. It's basically a triage situation. As it is the girls are monitoring the phones after work in the evening and think nothing of going out to emergencies in their own time.

I do applaud you OP for trying so hard to help this poor little dog. Unfortunately it's hard to know what to advise. The LSPCA might try and catch him, but would only deliver him to the dog pound. Their staff are snowed under too, though - they've only got one person working 'in the field' and they're part-time. You could contact the dog wardens, and you might be lucky in that they actually come out and catch him - but then he has to serve his five days in the pound. I would only go down that road if you got an assurance from the warden that you could take the dog after the five days if he wasn't claimed by the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

He's a lovely little thing. So tame. Animal welfare won't answer phones today. .

The girls at the sanctuary answer the phones seven days a week. But if it's mad busy (as it always is on a saturday) they'll miss some incoming calls. ;)

Advertisement