Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in an apartment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I wasn't complaining about LAW at all. I'm just saying what has happened. Of course I appreciate that they're not a government funded group, and that they're full, and run off their feet etc, I'm saying from my point of view, I'm now taking care of two strays that could easily be knocked down at any point. So the way I see it it'd be hard to justify one or both getting knocked down and killed because everyone's busy.

Just my thoughts. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, little Reginald is doing ok. He's having problems weeing and doesn't seem to want to drink at all, so I think there's probably something wrong with his kidneys. He has loose skin all over him, and is quite skinny - underfed. He's constantly scratching his ears, though don't quite know why. He has slept almost constantly since I brought him home.

Going to bring him to the vet tomorrow (well if I can get him in) and hopefully get him some help. After that, I don't know. I suppose all I can do is keep him, and ask LAW to put up a picture on their site of him for rehoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

Can I just ask what is happening with Toby now?

What will happen with catching the other dog now, as would you really want to keep 2 timid strays in your apartment?

We took in a stray 4 months ago and it has been such a struggle getting her to a level of trust and manners. Any time we tried to reprimand her for being bold, she was terrified. She also had severe separation anxiety and when left alone would chew anything that wasn't bolted down! It can be a real effort training a stray is all I'm saying. Especially one who seems to have been abused.

Well done on wanting to do whats best with the dogs though. Not all people would, but make sure you think about what it is you're taking on.

smoggy11 wrote: »
    Can I just ask what is happening with Toby now?

What will happen with catching the other dog now, as would you really want to keep 2 timid strays in your apartment?

We took in a stray 4 months ago and it has been such a struggle getting her to a level of trust and manners. Any time we tried to reprimand her for being bold, she was terrified. She also had severe separation anxiety and when left alone would chew anything that wasn't bolted down! It can be a real effort training a stray is all I'm saying. Especially one who seems to have been abused.

Well done on wanting to do whats best with the dogs though. Not all people would, but make sure you think about what it is you're taking on.

Well I didn't get to go back to Toby yesterday as I had this little lad here by myself. I went looking for him a few times in the evening when I could, but he wasn't around. I went out again this morning, but again no sign. Just saying there that I'll go out again in a minute.

Ya, I don't know what to do about Toby now. I can't have both of them here, the place is too small. I suppose the best I can do is keep trying to feed Toby when he's around. Bringing Reginald to the vet tomorrow and I'll have to go from there. I'll probably try ringing around a few different animal sanctuaries to see if anyone has any room for them, as I can't keep either long term.

Well little Reggie is gone. Animal Welfare took him. :( Hopefully he'll be ok, though don't like the idea of him being cooped up all day, he loves roaming, and running around.

Toby's still roaming around. Was going out to feed him today and met a girl there, she was feeding him. Had met her there before so was asking why animal welfare hadn't come out yet. But according to the woman I met this evening about Reggie we can expect someone in the next few days ... though I think I won't hold my breath. We'll see. Hopefully soon for Toby's sake.

I had posted an update to this, but obviously something went wrong.

Toby wasn't around for a day or two, but he was back Sunday. I went to feed him, but he only ate half a can of food. Went to feed him yesterday, and he wouldn't eat at all. I was around again yesterday evening and said I'd check if the food was still there. And it was. So he didn't eat it at all and none of his water was gone either. There's obviously something wrong with him. And still nothing from LAW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's more likely that someone else is feeding him and putting out water for him.

Why are you waiting for LAW to call you back? Why don't you ring them yourself? I already explained they work under tremendous pressure. But what can they say to you, in all honesty? Do you really think it's fair to expect one of them make a 60 mile round trip after a day's work to try and catch a dog that's shy and not always around? How many trips would one of them have to make before they'd eventually get Toby to safety? I don't think you're being realistic - or fair. In these cases we work with someone local who is willing to work with the dog by bonding with him through food and treats, so that eventually they might get a lead on the dog, or lure him into someone's enclosed garden.

We've all been through this with stray dogs time and time again, and it's very time consuming. The last shy dog I helped was in a back garden in Annacotty and bolted every time she saw someone. I drove down there with food every day for nearly three weeks before I could catch her. Luckily it was only six miles from me. But if I was working full-time in the sanctuary 36 miles away, I just wouldn't have the luxury.

There was another nervous dog hanging around the Dock Road recently - a girl contacted LAW about her. This dog was really scared of people. Luckily this girl lived in town and kept going there every day to feed the dog until eventually the dog trusted her enough to let her slip a lead over her head. It took weeks.

It might be a good idea too to pop out the sanctuary to see Reggie and put your mind at ease about how he is being looked after out there. There are three exercise runs and two big paddocks that the dogs spend time in during the day, plus they get walks with the volunteers. :)

You'd also see the phone hopping and the girls trying their best to help all the "Tobys" in the city they get calls about every day.

I get that they're busy. I get it. All I'm saying is I keep getting told that someone's coming in a few days to catch him. I'm not even asking that they take him back out, all I need is for them to bring in a trap. I've said I will take him in, and another girl here has said she could either, but I need a trap to catch him, he won't let anyone near him to put a lead on him.

My concern is for him, as he's sick, has mange, and has an eye infection, as well as facing the daily chance of getting knocked down. I'm not being unrealistic at all, I'm just concerned for this poor dog.

We only have cat traps, OP, they're only about 12" high. How big is Toby? We had one dog trap but we lent it to someone in a similar situation and AFAIK we never got it back.

If you want to get a head start on treating his mange, call in to one of the chemists or one of the vets and buy a vial of Advocate and squirt it on the back of his neck, if you can eventually get that close. They're about €7.

Can you tell me whereabouts exactly it is you see him, and what he looks like? I am going into town this afternoon myself - I'll come and have a look.

Edited to add: Read back - small black dog, hangs out around Upper William Street. I'll do my best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I get that they're busy. I get it. All I'm saying is I keep getting told that someone's coming in a few days to catch him. I'm not even asking that they take him back out, all I need is for them to bring in a trap. I've said I will take him in, and another girl here has said she could either, but I need a trap to catch him, he won't let anyone near him to put a lead on him.

My concern is for him, as he's sick, has mange, and has an eye infection, as well as facing the daily chance of getting knocked down. I'm not being unrealistic at all, I'm just concerned for this poor dog.

Have you informed them he is ill,because when ill more likely to come out for him.
    Hope he is ok poor thing:(

boomerang wrote: »
    We only have cat traps, OP, they're only about 12" high. How big is Toby? We had one dog trap but we lent it to someone in a similar situation and AFAIK we never got it back.

If you want to get a head start on treating his mange, call in to one of the chemists or one of the vets and buy a vial of Advocate and squirt it on the back of his neck, if you can eventually get that close. They're about €7.

Can you tell me whereabouts exactly it is you see him, and what he looks like? I am going into town this afternoon myself - I'll come and have a look.

Edited to add: Read back - small black dog, hangs out around Upper William Street. I'll do my best.

I've a picture of him up here, I think on the 2nd or 3rd page(it's page 2). He's black, with a small white patch on his chest. He's normally on the triangular patch of grass opposite O Neills Food Fair on Upper William St, but the City Council have been there much of today so he hasn't been there. If he's still not back he'll quite likely be in the school grounds of the CBS up around the corner. He's smallish. Definitely not what you'd call a big dog.
    caseyann wrote: »
    Have you informed them he is ill,because when ill more likely to come out for him.
    Hope he is ok poor thing:(

Well I can't say for certain, but he's not eating or drinking anything. Plus if they're busy, they're busy.

• Advertisement

If there's a scared, stray dog fending for itself somewhere - that's emergency enough. I guarantee you if the dog was tame he'd have been picked up by now and he'd already be at the sanctuary. For all you know, someone from LAW may already have travelled over to upper William Street to try and catch him.

What I cannot understand is why people feel the responsibility should be left to a LAW volunteer up to thirty miles away to make countless trips in to the city to befriend this nervous dog, when there is someone right there at the location who has the luxury of giving more time to this the dog and who therefore could get him on a lead in days rather than the weeks it would take someone from LAW travelling in and out when they have time.

I am travelling in to William Street now especially to see if I can spot him and lure him - and I live 13 miles away.

If the dog can be caught, he'll get immediate veterinary treatment, good food and a warm bed. He'll be neutered in time and will go to a carefully vetted home, all thanks LAW and all paid out of the donations people make to LAW. But sometimes when it comes to the logistics you've got to help us to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

What I cannot understand is why people feel the responsibility should be left to a LAW volunteer up to thirty miles away to make countless trips in to the city to befriend this nervous dog, when there is someone right there at the location who has the luxury of giving more time to this the dog and who therefore could get him on a lead in days rather than the weeks it would take someone from LAW travelling in and out when they have time.

I live in the same apartment as 'stupidusername'.. We're not leaving it up to someone from LAW to come out 'countless times' and gain the dogs trust so they can slip a lead over his head. We've been out everyday feeding the dog, giving him water, staying close so he'll get used to our presence. We have bought a lead, have tried 3 times unsuccessfully to get it on him. We haven't just ran at him trying to fire a lead around his neck, we've been patient. I have never seen a dog this wary of people.

If LAW have no trap, then they shouldn't have told us that they do. I know that LAW are under no legal obligation to come out and get the dog. If they can't do it, then they should say something instead of continuing to promise to bring in a trap or sort it out in a few days. I know they are busy out there with so many animals, and respect the difficult job that they have.

This isn't a matter of attacking LAW. It's all about the safety of the dog. The fact is that a thing called Limerick Animal Welfare exists, and it's natural to assume that they would respond to a report of a stray animal in the city of Limerick. I'm not saying that they should respond instantly and successfully, but it's frustrating to see a dog darting around traffic all day and not being able to catch him yourself. It's not LAW's fault the dog is running around and it's not their responsibility to save it, but they are an organisation that is set up with the aim of helping animals in need. They have been out to see him, and tried to catch him, which is great. We're just waiting on word from them with regards to the trap they said they will bring out.

If I could catch the dog myself, I would do it, but I can't.

No sign of him this evening but I will try again tomorrow.

Edited to add: If LAW do have a suitable trap, why not pop out to the sanctuary and collect it, rather than waiting for one of the LAW staff to bring it in after work the next time they are going through town? You could visit Reggie at the same time. :) The traps are pretty simple to operate but you have to stay and watch the trap once you've set it, in case it's stolen. (They are very hard to replace.)

No sign of him this evening but I will try again tomorrow.

Edited to add: If LAW do have a suitable trap, why not pop out to the sanctuary and collect it, rather than waiting for one of the LAW staff to bring it in after work the next time they are going through town? You could visit Reggie at the same time. :) The traps are pretty simple to operate but you have to stay and watch the trap once you've set it, in case it's stolen. (They are very hard to replace.)

If I could travel out there I would have by now. I wouldn't just be saying he needs to be taken off the streets and then not doing anything about it, if I could.

No sign of him there yesterday evening but I will try again today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Do not attempt to approach the dog until you have ascertained whether or not he is likely to behave aggressively. If he displays behavior such as growling, curling his lips, wagging his tail slowly, or if the hair on his back stands up, leave the dog alone and call Animal Control.

If the dog is not displaying aggressive behavior, try to call the dog to you. Use a calm, soothing voice. You can also try to coax him with some strong smelling food.

Do not try to pet him on the head. Dogs have trouble seeing directly above them and they will back away and might be frightened. Once you have given him a moment to be comfortable being near you, reach out slowly, without making eye contact, and pet his shoulder. If he lets you pet his shoulder, then pet his neck and gently grasp his collar, if he has one.

http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/dogs/articles/what-to-do-when-you-find-a-stray-dog~195.aspx

I got to rub Toby today, it was nice. Only for a few seconds though as a guy was passing at the time, and Toby got a bit spooked. So he ran off a little. I might try again tomorrow if I figure he's ok with it. I'm only doing it so he can see humans can be ok, I've given up on trying to catch him, it's not going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I was out walking Ruby last night and we passed Toby and even though he didn't approach us he seemed kinda interested in us.
    I sat on the furniture shop window sill and tried to coax him over to us but to no avail however he was kinda following us for a little while.

And then this morning I popped into O'Neill's before work and managed a little rub of Toby also. I put it down to him being a little sleepy but it still seems to be heaps of progress since he first appeared on the scene.

One of the staff in the sanctuary is trying to catch him also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Sounds like you guys are doing a brilliant job with him. Anything worth having is worth working for and the reward here is knowing that this dog is safe :)

You have my respect

• Advertisement

Here's an update. I hadn't seen Toby since last Tuesday, but went over to the school Sunday evening, and he was in there. So I got some food, and dumped it inside the gate, he started to get up after a minute, but I could see he was walking really slowly with a limp. He looks to have a broken leg :(

I rang someone from the LAW who gave me her number, and I said he was really in need of help because of his injury. So she just asked me to get the key from the caretaker so we could get in and set a trap for him at night.

On my way back up home later on he was out on the green, and I rang her back. She said she's come in. By the time she got in he'd gone back into the school. we threw in chicken with sedatives and waited. But after a while he got a little wary of us, and ran out under the gate. off down the road. Followed him, and had an attempt at catching him in a closed off patch of grass, but he got passed us, and on to the road again.

So we left it at that. we really terrified him. So I went to the school, I got a key. Yer one rang me today and we have to wait til tomorrow to get the trap from the dog warden.

Feel really bad for him. Hope we can set this up tomorrow, and it works. I have a feeling he wont go into the trap, but think we're trying sedatives in his food again anyway. Poor Toby.

Will add to this again tomorrow when, hopefully, I'll have some more news about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Poor guy isn't making it easy to help him is he?
    Thanks for the update, I've been wondering how things were. This was on of the first posts I read on Boards :)

Well finally yesterday we got a trap for him. He hasn't gone into it yet though, and I don't know how likely it is he will go in, considering how scared he is of everything.

Poor Toby.

I'll update again, when we catch him, or they take the trap away, whichever happens. Unfortunately I think it's likely to be the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

Stupy, You have done a fantastic job so far!! I really admire your dedication and determination in trying to help this terrified little animal. For weeks now I have logged on just to read the next episode! You really deserve for this to all end well so that you can finally have some peace. I will have a few words with the big man upstairs and tell him to tell Toby to get his act together and accept some help!!! Keep us all posted:) Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Aw well done on your determination. I hope you manage to (finally) catch poor Toby! He is one stubborn little guy!!

Fingers crossed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

Any update?

Jackob wrote: »
    Any update?

No not really. Sorry, if there was anythin real big to say I'd be running to tell ye all. He hasn't gone back to where the trap is at all. The trap is going to be collected probably tomorrow. So maybe we'll try to sedate him again.

He'll have to be around the area again though to do that, and he hasn't been in a good few days. I saw him around town a bit though. So I just have to wait and see what the woman from LAW wants to do next.

The trap has been taken away, with no luck of catching Toby. He's found a new patch down the street, outside a house, with other dogs. So I've said maybe we can get the dog warden to try catch him with the pole thingy she tried to use before. We've to wait til Friday now, that's the earliest she can come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Well has the artful dodger been caught?

I've not seen him around in ages.....

• Advertisement

No, not been caught yet. The trap didn't work, and has been taken away. He's moved on from the green/school area. You probably haven't seen him in ages cos he's gone down the road near the high street, slummin it outside a house down there, where there's loads of other dogs. There was a bowl put out there for him with water in it, but then the next day it was smashed up :mad: frickin sick of people.

He's scared shítless of me now :( The only real option left is to try get the dog warden to catch him with this pole with a hoop on the end. I've been quite busy today so asked the woman in LAW to get in contact with him to try organise it. don't know yet if she has. I'll pop down around there later to feed him anyway, so I'll see if he's around. If he's not around I'll text yer one to see if by any chance they've caught him. I'd say she'd let me know if they had. Will report back if I have any news.

Advertisement