Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heat resistant cable for hob

Options
  • 31-05-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Looking for 4 sq mm heat resistant cable for a 6kW Samsung hob. A few suppliers I have called only have up to 2.5mm. Is this difficult to source? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

try maplins or somewhere maybe? wat if you got 5mmsq and heat resistant sleeving to put over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

gkp1 wrote: »
    Looking for 4 sq mm heat resistant cable for a 6kW Samsung hob. A few suppliers I have called only have up to 2.5mm. Is this difficult to source? Thanks.

Stupid question, but why do you need heat resistant cable for the hob. Is it reflecting heat out the bottom of the unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

fingers is spot on.just connect 6square t+e direct to hob.conventional hobs deflect heat away from cabeling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Try a sauna supplier/installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gkp1

Thanks all for the suggestions. Not sure if it is actually needed but manufacturer specifies

"A type H05SS - F (180°C) cable or one of a higher grade must be used as the mains connecting cable."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gkp1 Thanks all for the suggestions. Not sure if it is actually needed but manufacturer specifies

"A type H05SS - F (180°C) cable or one of a higher grade must be used as the mains connecting cable."
    As far as I can recall the regs specifically mention a 4mm^2 heat resistant cable for the final part of the circuit to the cooker/hob.

Personally I would go with the manafactuers reccomondation.

You can buy this cable by the meter in Eurosales and Kellighers.

Normally the cable is stranded so you are best off crimping on some sort of lugs or bootlace type pins to ensure a good connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gkp1

2011 wrote: »
    As far as I can recall the regs specifically mention a 4mm^2 heat resistant cable for the final part of the circuit to the cooker/hob.

Personally I would go with the manafactuers reccomondation.

You can buy this cable by the meter in Eurosales and Kellighers.

Normally the cable is stranded so you are best off crimping on some sort of lugs or bootlace type pins to ensure a good connection.

Thanks. Tried both of those suppliers and neither have anything bigger than 2.5 heat resistant flex. They suggested going with 6mm t&e.
    Found it from a UK supplier http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA4TQ3slash50.html but nobody local yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the only thing i could find in dublin was a ho7 black rubber flex that can take up to 90 deg in a 3x 4 sq. if this is any use to you let me know and ill give you the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

2011 wrote: »

This is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

can any one post a link to the regs for the 4sq heat resistant - i have a vested interest :)

i know a lot of installers are just useing 6 sq twin and earth for cookers and oven hob combos
    is that not allowed/unlawful/just bad practise etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

this is a bit of a strange one cause ive never been asked for it so it must be overlooked by 99% of electricians. any of the sparks that come in to us just ask for t&e. i rang 3 of the bst cable providers i know of and they dont even stock it. the only heat resistant cable ive sold has been for immersions or storage heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

TBH, if its for a hob it sounds like complete overkill to me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

can any one post a link to the regs for the 4sq heat resistant - i have a vested interest
    OK, I was 1/2 right!! ET101 2008 page 306 section 3.3:

"Cooker up to 10kW: 6mm^2 copper (fixed wiring), 4mm^2 (flexiable cable) ......"

So a 4mm^2 flexible cable can be used, but it does not have to be HR.

However if the manafactuer suggests HR flex then you should use it.

Afterall it is a regulation to use HR flex for other heating appliances such as storage heaters and immersions.

Advertisement