Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheat, dairy, soy & meat free diet, pls help??

Options
  • 31-05-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a long term health condition that could possibly be helped by changing my diet to wheat, dairy, soy and meat free but i haven't a clue where to start, i've googled each but am so confused - information overload :rolleyes:

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction, as in what to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i normal have a boiled egg on brown toast for brekafast, bring sandwiches for lunch at work, now i'm really stuck! I've never been a very good eater at the best of times and i feel this is going to be a major and difficult change but i'm willing to give it a go if it'll ease my pain.

Any help would be fantastic :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I suggest you check out the Irish Coeliac society. There you will find an online support group with lots of advice and tips for managing a gluten (=wheat and other grains) free diet. For starters you can get a breadmix in a chemist by Juvela and make your own bread and that is maybe breakfast/lunch sorted. The gluten free bread in shops is not great but Genius bread from Dunnes seems popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

Hi all,

I have a long term health condition that could possibly be helped by changing my diet to wheat, dairy, soy and meat free but i haven't a clue where to start, i've googled each but am so confused - information overload :rolleyes:

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction, as in what to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i normal have a boiled egg on brown toast for brekafast, bring sandwiches for lunch at work, now i'm really stuck! I've never been a very good eater at the best of times and i feel this is going to be a major and difficult change but i'm willing to give it a go if it'll ease my pain.

Any help would be fantastic :D
    I agree with annieoburns :)

I'd also say rather than focusing on what you can't have, focus on what you can have. For example, if you can tolerate oats, how about porridge or oatmeal for breakfast (homemade)? It doesn't take long to make and you can add whatever fruits or spices you would like. If you don't want warm oats, you can make add rice/almond milk to a bowl of oats at night time, put in the fridge and then have with some berries in the morning!
    Gluten-free bread would be nice for toast with a no-sugar jam.
    Alternatively you could have spelt (wheat-free) bread without yeast (like a soda bread) with jam, or dairy-free butter.
    Beans on toast is nice too!

Spelt or gluten-free pasta is delicious, with a home-made pesto - simply whiz some fresh basil in a blender with oil, garlic cloves and pinenuts.

You might find it helpful to google 'vegan gluten free' recipes as these will all be wheat and dairy free. All the recipes on my blog are wheat free and some are gluten free too, you might find some helpful.

Rather than going for mainly pre-packaged food, try and stick to 'real' food as much as you can - rice and quinoa for example, beans, pulses (like chickpeas) and lots of vegetables.

It will be hard eating out but don't be afraid to ask questions and see if chefs will make you up something that suits :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Also have a look at http://www.susanjanemurray.com/ to get some basic info and recipes. Best of luck with the change of diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Fruit salad makes a lovely breakfast! It's really nice now as so much fruit is in season...it's lovely!!

Lunch: poached pears with almonds, sultanas, etc, read a recipe there for this the other day, pm if you want it!! Looked really yumm!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Have you tried http://www.theglutenfreefoodie.com/ ? She sells gluten free fruit brack and soda bread which even as a non-coeliac I think tastes brilliant. She's only starting up but she's developing other recipes too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement