Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My final proposed build (hopefully)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

*wanders into thread*

What's up with all the silly motherboards and dodgy PSUs on this thread?? :confused::P

*wanders off again*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Solitaire wrote: »
    *wanders into thread*

What's up with all the silly motherboards and dodgy PSUs on this thread?? :confused::P

*wanders off again*

The Crosshair IV is silly?

And I was never going to go with anything but a Corsair PSU.

I was just wondering on some of those lists why elazar was choosing €200 motherboards to go with €130 graphics cards... if you're only running HD5770s then even PCIe2.0 x4 mode isn't too bad, let alone x8! :P

I was just wondering on some of those lists why elazar was choosing €200 motherboards to go with €130 graphics cards... if you're only running HD5770s then even PCIe2.0 x4 mode isn't too bad, let alone x8! :P

Hmm, may as well go for the Gigabyte board I originally picked then, which has support for CrossfireX.

EDIT: Hey, Solitaire, you got any experience with Ebuyer?

sg72ib.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elazar55

I was just wondering on some of those lists why elazar was choosing €200 motherboards to go with €130 graphics cards... if you're only running HD5770s then even PCIe2.0 x4 mode isn't too bad, let alone x8! :P[/QUOTE

because performance would be much better at full x16. wouldn't want to be running it at half speed would i?

elazar55 wrote: »
    I was just wondering on some of those lists why elazar was choosing €200 motherboards to go with €130 graphics cards... if you're only running HD5770s then even PCIe2.0 x4 mode isn't too bad, let alone x8! :P[/QUOTE

because performance would be much better at full x16. wouldn't want to be running it at half speed would i?

But that x16 isn't fully saturated, from what Solitaire is saying, it seems only a quarter of that is saturated, which would make x8 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Performance loss is exaggerated, running a 5970, at 8x is only about 2% I think, less than a frame a second.

You wouldn't even notice it. Like Solitaire says you wouldn't even use 4 of the PCI-E lanes with a 5770

Edit : Quote was a mess so I took it out.

But that x16 isn't fully saturated, from what Solitaire is saying, it seems only a quarter of that is saturated, which would make x8 fine.

thanks for the info. i'm still learning a bit. :D:cool:

thanks for the info. i'm still learning a bit. :D:cool:

Heh, so am I, I've only been learning since my 14th birthday a year and a half ago :D

• Advertisement

Heh, so am I, I've only been learning since my 14th birthday a year and a half ago :D

i have been learning since i was 10 (i have no life)

Oh god, the HAF X is up for sale on Ebuyer, MUST SEE IF PARENTS CAN AFFORD!

I've worshipped computers since I was 7 :p

Trick is to make it your occupation as well as a hobby then get a life too :D

Anyway, the PCIe lanes allocated to a GPU only affect the speed at which it can grab texture data from the system, and a lot of people forget we're currently on PCIe 2.0, which is twice as fast per lane than the original PCIe bus. When they re-tested the phenomenon on Toms Hardware a while ago HD5**0 cards on PCIe 2.0 seem much more bandwidth-friendly than older ATi cards on PCIe 1.1, and as the GPU computing power and memory bandwidth goes down the need for massive PCIe bus bandwidth also drops. x8 is fine for anything shy of a supercomputer, and even x4 isn't that bad on PCIe 2.0, although it could impose a slight bandwidth limitation on ultra-high-end cards. Its PCIex1 that you need to avoid like the plague :p

EDIT - HAF-X?! *runs off to look*

I've worshipped computers since I was 7 :p

Trick is to make it your occupation as well as a hobby then get a life too :D

I've only been worshipping for a few years now, since I first got Morrowind GOTY about 2 years ago.

My dream job would be building computers, even though I'm only building my first this month. Sadly, however, there doesn't seem to be great demand for it :(

Heh... Morrowind... :):cool:

There may have been more demand during the boom years but rising hardware prices and the continuing consolidation of the industry has hurt everyone (including the industry itself) something bad over the past two years... :(

Heh... Morrowind... :):cool:

There may have been more demand during the boom years but rising hardware prices and the continuing consolidation of the industry has hurt everyone (including the industry itself) something bad over the past two years... :(

Yeah, I noticed that prices have been rising, why is that?

Mixture of factors, recession coinciding with both an unbalanced CPU and GPU release schedule and a massive hike in memory IC prices are causing the brunt of the woe right now, and the knock-on effects of the above hits everyone's pocket down the line as OEM and retailers are forced to hike prices, lose more profits, hike even further... etc.

Mixture of factors, recession coinciding with both an unbalanced CPU and GPU release schedule and a massive hike in memory IC prices are causing the brunt of the woe right now, and the knock-on effects of the above hits everyone's pocket down the line as OEM and retailers are forced to hike prices, lose more profits, hike even further... etc.

Damn, wish I had patience, else I'd wait for prices to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Surprised your parents didn't link the budget for the build to your exam results - no better motivation :pac:

Best of luck with the exams and the build and sure post it up in the "your main PC" sticky for us to have a gawk

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Surprised your parents didn't link the budget for the build to your exam results - no better motivation :pac:

Best of luck with the exams and the build and sure post it up in the "your main PC sticky for us to have a gawk

The motivation is if I study hard enough (1-1.5 hours a day at least) I get it, my mam said that, she kinda regrets promising that now :D

Of course I'll post it to the Main PC Sticky, Infact, I may even make a timelapse.

• Advertisement

Swapped 955 for 965, for £14 more I get an extra 200Mhz on each core. Great considering I have never OC'd in my life, although I may learn how to in the future.
    288qhj4.png

Nevermind, swapped back so I can get Modular PSU. Pic will be up in a few minutes.

2aioh3b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Looks good to me, If you are looking for a custom cooled 5770 I heard the MSI Hawk is actually the best one. I never had any problems with sapphire though

Looks good to me, If you are looking for a custom cooled 5770 I heard the MSI Hawk is actually the best one. I never had any problems with sapphire though

Yeah, I was originally going to get the HAWK but last I checked Ebuyer didn't have any, so I am going to get a different whisper-quiet one.

Current Proposal, I swapped Corsair for Coolermaster, as CM is cheaper, but not an explosively bad PSU.
    1z1zsix.png

I may go for the 1055T over the 955, worth it if I learn to Overclock?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I may go for the 1055T over the 955, worth it if I learn to Overclock?

Yes and no, overclocking isn't a huge deal on any chip. You'll be paying more for the 6-core and a good bit more for a better cooler. It's a beast of a chip but do you think you would need a six core for anything? It's beaten by an i5 in gaming etc due to the better turboboost

Yes and no, overclocking isn't a huge deal on any chip. You'll be paying more for the 6-core and a good bit more for a better cooler. It's a beast of a chip but do you think you would need a six core for anything? It's beaten by an i5 in gaming etc due to the better turboboost

with suggestions from other forums aswell, I am going to stay with the 955.

EDIT: I may save up for the 1090T down the road, as I've read that is unlocked like the 955.

• Advertisement

Added Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

Advertisement