Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My final proposed build (hopefully)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Changed cooler to Tuniq Tower 120-extreme.

GREAT NEWS! I might be able to order it today or tomorrow and have it built before my exams!

24vnqz7.png
    This is looking to be the complete, final component list.

Removed Xilence fan, If I really need some more, I will order them.
    2hcdjkz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Not big things, but just the cables (sorry if this has been addressed i havent read the the thread):

DVI cable - Check if one comes with the monitor (pretty sure any monitor i bought came with one)

Sata Cables - Check if the motherboard comes with them, my last motherboard def came with one. It was a Gigabyte too.

LAN cable - Do you need a 30m cable?

As i said not massive things, but there is £25 worth of savings if you don't need them.

• Advertisement

Not big things, but just the cables (sorry if this has been addressed i havent read the the thread):

DVI cable - Check if one comes with the monitor (pretty sure any monitor i bought came with one)

Sata Cables - Check if the motherboard comes with them, my last motherboard def came with one. It was a Gigabyte too.

LAN cable - Do you need a 30m cable?

As i said not massive things, but there is £25 worth of savings if you don't need them.

DVI- Only VGA comes with the Monitor

Sata- I want some spares anyway

LAN- Yes, I definitely need this, much cheaper than a wireless card.

Some bad news, I have to wait until I'm done my JC to get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think 4-5 sata cables came with my board, nice yellow ones too :)

Just to let you know:

Sata cables - €1.10 ~

Dvi cables - €5.50~

And have free delivery.

I think 4-5 sata cables came with my board, nice yellow ones too :)

Just to let you know:

Sata cables - €1.10 ~

Dvi cables - €5.50~

And have free delivery.

Hmm, didn't think of DealExtreme, In fact, I recently received a lighter from there. I wouldn't order PC parts from 'em though, rather have something from a "name brand", although thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Are you going to swap back in the Samsung F3 drive now that you changed the motherboard?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Are you going to swap back in the Samsung F3 drive now that you changed the motherboard?

Nah, I'm thinking of sticking with the Caviar Black, considering I have also used WD drives (external) before and am very pleased with the performance of them.

Now that I think of it, I will, they are cheaper and from reviews, better.

• Advertisement

2j1sf91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

GREAT NEWS! I might be able to order it today or tomorrow and have it built before my exams!

Don't want to be a killjoy.. but don't! I'm only a little bit older than you (approaching mid-twenties) and can remember the excitement of my first build and it will definitely affect your exam performance! You'll have the whole summer to muck around with it and you don't want to be either:

-Forcing yourself to study when in fact you just want to be messing around with your new PC.

-Feeling guilty messing around with your new PC when you should be studying!

I had a boxes full of components sitting in my room tempting me during the last week of my finals in Uni but I held out till my exams finished. Very glad I did in retrospect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

C.D. wrote: »
    Don't want to be a killjoy.. but don't! I'm only a little bit older than you (approaching mid-twenties) and can remember the excitement of my first build and it will definitely affect your exam performance! You'll have the whole summer to muck around with it and you don't want to be either:

-Forcing yourself to study when in fact you just want to be messing around with your new PC.

-Feeling guilty messing around with your new PC when you should be studying!

I had a boxes full of components sitting in my room tempting me during the last week of my finals in Uni but I held out till my exams finished. Very glad I did in retrospect!
    +1 on this

Some bad news, I have to wait until I'm done my JC to get it :(
    C.D. wrote: »
    Don't want to be a killjoy.. but don't!

It's not possible now anyway :(

Added surge protector:
    34zg509.png

I might swap the Tuniq for the Coolermaster V8, worth it?

Hmm, Ebuyer says timed delivery unavailable, will that matter?

EDIT: Someone on the Ebuyer forums said as long as it's in stock, it shouldn't matter. So I am going to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I might swap the Tuniq for the Coolermaster V8, worth it?
    No

No

Why do you say no?

EDIT: I've realised I won't be doing serious OC'ing, So I'll stick with the Tuniq, however I am dumping the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Why do you say no?
    Cause the tunig is good, I don't see people fascination with the V8. It's a big ugly not so good cooler.

• Advertisement

Cause the tunig is good, I don't see people fascination with the V8. It's a big ugly not so good cooler.

I quite like the looks and the reviews seem to favour the V8, but I will stick with the Tuniq, maybe in the future if I get serious with Overclocking I will get a V8, or possibly the Corsair H50, but to be honest, I don't see that happening.

Parents have said that they will get the parts on the 13th/14th, 5/4 days before I finish my exams, so they'll arrive on the last or second last day, yay!

Anyone else have any reccomendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Charlington

What are the SATA cables for? I know many surge protection manufacturers will cover damage to equipment caused by a power surge when connected to their equipment. I'd buy it locally instead and get one that applies to ROI. The one you bought might only cover the UK. I'd double check. They're the same price in bricks 'n' mortar shops over here (if you shop around).

What are the SATA cables for? I know many surge protection manufacturers will cover damage to equipment caused by a power surge when connected to their equipment. I'd buy it locally instead and get one that applies to ROI. The one you bought might only cover the UK. I'd double check. They're the same price in bricks 'n' mortar shops over here (if you shop around).

Ooh, thanks, I'll have a look for an 8-socket one.

The Sata cables are in case the ones with the MoBo aren't long enough, although they may end up as spares.

Ooh, thanks, I'll have a look for an 8-socket one.

The Sata cables are in case the ones with the MoBo aren't long enough, although they may end up as spares.
    you wont need one for the HDD, I dunno how big the HAF 932 is so maybe one for the ODD, did you google it?

you wont need one for the HDD, I dunno how big the HAF 932 is so maybe one for the ODD, did you google it?

Well, I know it's about 60CM tall, so a long Sata cable is needed.

Hmm, now that I've googled it I notice I will need the 24" cables, as the 18" ones are 15CM too short.

Hmm, now that I've googled it I notice I will need the 24" cables, as the 18" ones are 15CM too short.

Your sata cables do not need to be the same height as your case! The upper most sata ports on your board will be at least 6/7inches from the bottom and the sata port on the ODD would be 2/3 inches from the top. I have a gigabyte mobo and it came with a right-angled sata connector, which is very handy, yours does too.

• Advertisement

Your sata cables do not need to be the same height as your case! The upper most sata ports on your board will be at least 6/7inches from the bottom and the sata port on the ODD would be 2/3 inches from the top. I have a gigabyte mobo and it came with a right-angled sata connector, which is very handy, yours does too.

Oh I know that, but I don't want to take any chances and have a little extra length for cable routing.

Advertisement