Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bosco's Tullow Street Closed

Options
  • 31-05-2010 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Sad to see Bosco close his Tullow St shop - seems even though he owns the store, its cheaper to leave it empty than trade from there.

Fairgreen store remains open.

Was on Tullow St last Saturday, it was virtually empty of shoppers despite the good selection of stores in the area.

Maybe the council should look at pedestrianising the area from Centra in Potato Market and from AIB on Tullow stree all the way to the Dublin Street end of Tullow Street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Tullow St is dead, long live Tullow St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Maybe the new penny's will bring business back into the town rather than being in the retail parks. I think its fair to say that the Fairgreen is the new town center. Althought Tullow St does come back to live at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

Bulky retailing is finished for Tullow Street because of pedestrianisation. Stores like Boscos and Darrers depended on high volume and low margin retailing. (lots of things and little profit). Without easy access to cars, then this sort of business cannot survive because people don't want to carry heavy bags around. Once Tullow street was pedestrianised, then the die was cast for these stores. The future for this street is in services, low volume & high margin retailing, and restaurants/bars. Boscos were very smart in seeing this clearly and getting ahead of the game by opening in a new location. In business, it pays to keep an eye on the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 trakeena

Letting cars go down the street will be better for it. The shop owners themselves were saying there was an increase when cars were allowed go down it because of the roadworks.

The Town Council is trying to strangle Tullow Street as a retailing center because by breaking up and spreading out retailing, they will increase their financial take from rates. This is led by the town planning 'experts' that they hire who are trying to copy the retail systems from the UK and US. If all of your shopping needs are met in one place (ie Tullow Street), then the Council will only get one shot of rates. If your shopping is spread out into retail parks as well as the retail center, then the council can easily triple its rate collection from the same population. The people who do town planning in Carlow are focusing on increasing revenue and attracting inward investment rather than concentrating on sustainability, preservation, and quality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Maybe the new penny's will bring business back into the town rather than being in the retail parks. I think its fair to say that the Fairgreen is the new town center. Althought Tullow St does come back to live at night.
    But thats the root of the problem shay. Its all those multi national Companies that are taking over, All the SME's are really struggling, they cant compete with the likes of Lidl Aldi Tesco Penneys/primark..
    Dont mind dunnes superquinn or supervalu coz their irish companies... But the little small independent guys are just fighting an uphill battle

SIX PACK wrote: »
    But thats the root of the problem shay. Its all those multi national Companies that are taking over, All the SME's are really struggling, they cant compete with the likes of Lidl Aldi Tesco Penneys/primark..
    Dont mind dunnes superquinn or supervalu coz their irish companies... But the little small independent guys are just fighting an uphill battle

That's true. But I, as a customer, am glad those big companies are there as it makes my monthly/weekly shop, Cheaper.... and that's the most important to me and most other I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Actually , I don't find Tesco cheap, I try to avoid it to support local shops as much as possible. Wards fruit and veg in Tullow has the freshest of food and excellent quality, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Hey has Rosfords closed down?
    Shame about Bosco's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Lukekul wrote: »
    Hey has Rosfords closed down?
    Shame about Bosco's

yes - it seems they've closed too as has the small shoe store at the dublin street end of tullow street

the council don't care in he least - they increased rates year after year yet allowed more and more retail outlets. Currently the average size shop on tullow street pays €9000 a year in rates:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

91011 wrote: »
    Currently the average size shop on tullow street pays €9000 a year in rates:eek:
    that isn't expensive in the slightest..
    in fact..it's incredibly cheap

Actually , I don't find Tesco cheap, I try to avoid

That much I agree with. Lidl is my first port of call

SV wrote: »

What planet are you living on? its Not Dublin City were in... & if the rates were cheap why is their so many empty retail spaces around Carlow town centre & its an eye sore seeing empty spaces on Tullow St.

Btw How long is Buzz's Bar sitting Idle???

SIX PACK wrote: »
    What planet are you living on? its Not Dublin City were in... & if the rates were cheap why is their so many empty retail spaces around Carlow town centre & its an eye sore seeing empty spaces on Tullow St.

Btw How long is Buzz's Bar sitting Idle???

750 a month to rent a shop is extremely cheap, places in Dublin pay 10 times that a month.

Rates are a tax, not rent. Rates are only a part of the rent that most business owners have to pay. On top of rates there are the other property expenses that go into a business property, such as a mortgage, ESB, Gas, Insurance, an additional council charge for water and perhaps a landlord's cut (if renting). That 750 euros is only one part of the total rent or property costs, but it is a significant drag on any small business trying to stay afloat. I really think that most small retail store business owners regret getting into the business once they realise how much they are getting soaked by their landlords, banks, and governments. $1000's per month for rates and landlords, 20%+ vat, CSO paperwork, corporation tax, income tax. You are in a huge financial hole before you even open the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

That's Council rates alone for a shop of about 1000 sq ft. Add in water charges, rent, staff, esb etc etc.

Carlow Town Council charge one of the highest commercial rates in Ireland. The valuations are fixed from years back and the rates have consistently goine up year after year after year except this year when a huge 1% reduction was made. - Taking into effect deflation in the economy of 6%, that means a 5% effective increase.

Rates were not changed when new retail parks & shopping centres were built, They were not changed when the shopper moved elsewhere and they are not being changed because retail sales are 30% down in the past 2 years.

From what I know via one of the commercial agents in the town, the rates have prevented deals being finalised on three units and a further 4 / 5 units are set to close. - A closed unit pays no rates.

That's how your local council supports local business.

750 a month to rent a shop is extremely cheap, places in Dublin pay 10 times that a month.

The €9000 a yr goes to the council... then you might have to pay €750 a month to the Landlord... then you have to pay staff Esb etc... & then you hav to make sure your getting a stedy flow of customers trough the door to make the business viable... If the government didnt bring in the ban on headshop products... Their would be a business worth getting into :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Rates != Rent

and that makes 4..

sorry but whern someone says 'rate' to me it automatically triggers as the cost of running something..which is, to me, extremely cheap.

Advertisement