Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer for rads - must I turn off in the summer?

• 31-05-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this seems like a dumb question.

We have a digital timer in the kitchen with 3 different functions: rads downstairs, rads upstairs and hot water.

We have a thermostat in the living room downstairs and another in the master bedroom upstairs.

The setting I have on the timer is for when we want the heating on, however the thermostats upstairs and downstairs are always set to 18 degrees.

Being that the weather's warm and we're approaching Summer, the rads don't need to be on and won't be anyway if the temperature doesn't drop below 18 degrees.

My question is, can I leave the timer as it is, assuming that the room thermostats will ensure that the rads don't come on? Or am I wasting gas by doing this? Does the boiler heat up water for the rads as per the timer, regardless of whether the thermostats let them come on or not? Or do the room thermostats tell the boiler not to heat water for the rads even though the timer wants them to be on?

Many thanks in advance for any help. Apologies for not explaining very well.

Comments

A timer and room stat are just switches both would have to be closed to call for heat to be produced, with either of them open then no heat will be produced and nothing wasted, Gary.

Advertisement