Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illegal taxi ranks on cycle lanes

• 31-05-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Ok Im am pretty pissed off with this ever increasing problem in dublin city centre. Parnell street for example opposite the ilac centre there is a cycle lane clearly marked with signs saying a cycling lane is in effect from 10am to 7pm as far as i recall, but morning, noon and night taxis park on it outside their office on parnell street, now clearly our absentee police force dont give a toss because they seem to turn a blind eye as usual, what i want to know is how people feel about this, have people come across taxis using cycle lanes as make shift ranks ? who can we complain to? the garda ombudsman? the taxi regulator? I would like to know your thoughts because im sick of cyclists being treated like second class citizens on our streets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

heybaby wrote: »
    ...Parnell street for example opposite the ilac centre there is a cycle lane clearly marked with signs saying a cycling lane is in effect from 10am to 7pm as far as i recall, but morning, noon and night taxis park on it outside their office on parnell street, now clearly our absentee police force dont give a toss ...

That cluster of taxis and people "popping into tesco" on Parnell street drives me nuts too. There every single day and obviously nothing done about enforcement or it would clear up for at least a day or two afterwards.

It's annoying in the car just as much as the bike - although more dangerous on the latter as you need to pull in front of traffic dashing between the traffic lights placed every 30 metres on that stretch... Also creates a danger for pedestrians and many "dooring" opportunities as taxi drivers hop in and out of their cars.

Nearby the clearway on Bolton st. from Church st to Dorset st is constantly occupied with vans and cars in the evening too - causing more danger and inconvenience. There every day and have never seen enforcement.

feels good to rant a little...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Not that your wrong but see the problem is over on other areas (cant remember where i read it), you have taxi men giving out about trying to make a living, being pestered by gardai to move on etc. then no doubt the gardai are moaning about having to deal with the abusive taxi drivers etc. and round and round it goes.

PS you are right though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

maybe cyclists should start using taxi ranks as food stops/laybys and see how they like it,

they are a law unto themselves.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

karltimber wrote: »
    maybe cyclists should start using taxi ranks as food stops/laybys and see how they like it,

k

tried to do that ...well... put my car in a taxi rank .... oh how quick they were to shout ...beep their horns ...and call out at the nearest gardai on the beat.... but none of them were too pleased when I was pointing out they were illegally driving in bicycle lanes and parked in loading bays EVERY DAY !! (none of them denied it either)

ALSO - I'd like to say its not just taxi drivers ...its general driver mantality - what needs to be done is increase garda traffic corps 100% and get them to enforce the laws (breaking red lights, driving in bus lanes, cycle lanes, parking in loading bays the list of offences goes on and on....no exceptions...everyone gets the same treatment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

PCPhoto wrote: »
    tried to do that ...well... put my car in a taxi rank .... oh how quick they were to shout ...beep their horns ...and call out at the nearest gardai on the beat.... but none of them were too pleased when I was pointing out they were illegally driving in bicycle lanes and parked in loading bays EVERY DAY !! (none of them denied it either)

ALSO - I'd like to say its not just taxi drivers ...its general driver mantality - what needs to be done is increase garda traffic corps 100% and get them to enforce the laws (breaking red lights, driving in bus lanes, cycle lanes, parking in loading bays the list of offences goes on and on....no exceptions...everyone gets the same treatment)

Especialy cyclists :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

2dwexjb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Taxi's double park, park on yellow lines block the traffic and the guards just ignore them. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We should get capital D to do a piece on this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Try writing the Supt of the relevant Garda station, and/or contacting the Taxi Regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Taxi Regulator.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

karltimber wrote: »

k
    maybe cyclists should pay 600+ euro per year road tax , then you have a right to complain ,

danbohan wrote: »
    maybe cyclists should pay 600+ euro per year road tax, then you have a right to complain ,

(a) There is no such thing as road tax.
    (b) Many cyclists pay well in excess of €600 euro a year in motor tax, but that is completely irrelevant to their rights and responsibilities as cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

plus taxi's dont pay anything like 600e (or most other motorists for that matter) for motor (note: not road) tax as they get concessions

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

maybe cyclists should pay 600+ euro per year road tax , then you have a right to complain ,

Pedestrians don't pay Motor Tax either. Do you think they have a right to complain if someone drove on the footpath?
    Ok Im am pretty pissed off with this ever increasing problem in dublin city centre. Parnell street for example opposite the ilac centre there is a cycle lane clearly marked with signs saying a cycling lane is in effect from 10am to 7pm as far as i recall, but morning, noon and night taxis park on it outside their office on parnell street...

Look over your right shoulder, merge into the vehicle lane when clear. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

there is a cycle lane clearly marked with signs saying a cycling lane is in effect from 10am to 7pm as far as i recall, .

I think most of these 'cycle lanes' are just nuts. They've grown up everywhere, outside shops, taxi ranks, football stadia, children’s park, cinemas, recycling centers and the list goes on and on.

In a few housing estates they are up and down both side of the road, technically one should park at the edge of the ‘cycle lane’ as this marks the new curb ~ however, after making a scene on day by parking correctly a guard said I was in a lane of traffic, a city planner said I was parked at the curb and a city councillor was totally befuddled.

The chief super said I needed to pull in off the road ~ so we took his word for it. They will be increasingly ignored as they spread like the red weed from that Martian invasion back ion the 60s.

gbee wrote: »
    I think most of these 'cycle lanes' are just nuts. They've grown up everywhere, outside shops, taxi ranks, football stadia, children’s park, cinemas, recycling canters and the list goes on and on. In a few housing estates they are up and down both side of the road

I think the intention is that people use them to go from place to place, using their bicycle in the manner of transportation.

Don't really understand it myself. What's wrong with a turbo trainer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Paying money doesn't give you ANY right to complain - ALL road users should be treated equally, personally I have an issue with (Some) Taxi Drivers .... by your logic that means BMW, Merc, Lexus drivers have more of a right to the road than Fiesta's and Punto's ... as they are paying more "Road" (Motor) Tax.

As regards regular road users: (people who spend more than 3hours actual driving per day - including some commuters )
    -I believe they are too comfortable on the roads and need to re-tested regularly,
    -They should NOT be allowed Sat-Navs, if they don't know where they are going the customer should know where their destination is.

regular road users (taxi's, trucks, couriers etc) should be subject to random tests and/or a dedicated phone/text service for reporting bad driving - (I know this exists already) ...but the calls need to be monitored and logged, if a particular registration plate is regularly on the list of reported vehicles then the person should be evaluated.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dub50

On Chancery Placea at the side of the Four Courts, taxis park along the cycle lane even though there is an empty taxi rank outsiide the Legal Eagle Bar

Reported this to the Gardai in Bridewell Station which is less than 100m away and the Garda I spoke to said he was well aware of it but what can he really do

So when this is the attitutude of those meant to be upholding the law in this regard, what are you meant to do

Lack of enforcement is the root of much of the traffic problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

el tonto wrote: »
    Look over your right shoulder, merge into the vehicle lane when clear. Problem solved.

I'm with him.

I notice all these terrible things road users do but I generally just deal with them and get on with it. I can't muster up enough indignation to march down to my local Garda station or stage a sit-in at my local taxi rank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

dub50 wrote: »
    On Chancery Placea at the side of the Four Courts, taxis park along the cycle lane even though there is an empty taxi rank outsiide the Legal Eagle Bar

Reported this to the Gardai in Bridewell Station which is less than 100m away and the Garda I spoke to said he was well aware of it but what can he really do

So when this is the attitutude of those meant to be upholding the law in this regard, what are you meant to do

OP here , yes i noticed this one too on chancery place aswell, its typical isnt it, taxi drivers breaking the law right beside the building which is charged with upholding the law and the gardai shrugging their shoulders. So I will ask the question I asked in my initial post, should i complain to the garda ombudsman for dereliction of duty on the gardai's behalf or dublin city council, or the department of transport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tried to do that ...well... put my car in a taxi rank .... oh how quick they were to shout ...beep their horns ...and call out at the nearest gardai on the beat....
    What would happen if you stopped your car in one of their informal taxi ranks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Don't expect the Gardai to do anything. You should see the state of Harcourt Street! The Gardai park on footpaths, double yellow lines, coach parks, loading bays, double park and force traffic on to the Luas tram lines, block the disabled entrance to footpaths and regularly break the red traffic light that governs the exit from their premises and do their best to run down pedestrians crossing Hatch Street! I don't think traffic enforcement is their highest priority.

They park on the double yellow constantly outside the Mespil hotel making turning in and exiting the lane there very difficult.

The biggest problems with taxi's I find, is they sudden swerve and stop in front of you. Doesn't matter where it could be in the middle of a junction, they still do that.

:rolleyes:

Would you like to expand your point?

Anecdotes of law breaking taxi drivers and our non-policing police force are fine, but what i am looking for is to whom should I approach to express my grievance about illegal taxi ranks on cycle lanes? the garda ombudsman for dereliction of duty by the gardai? dublin city council ? the taxi regulator? the department of transport? this is a black and white issue, someone must be able to point me in the right direction on this?

Anecdotes of law breaking taxi drivers and our non-policing police force are fine, but what i am looking for is to whom should I approach to express my grievance about illegal taxi ranks on cycle lanes? the garda ombudsman for dereliction of duty by the gardai? dublin city council ? the taxi regulator? the department of transport? this is a black and white issue, someone must be able to point me in the right direction on this?

I think that for a problem of this magnitude your TD is the most deserving recipient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

gbee wrote: »
    I think most of these 'cycle lanes' are just nuts. They've grown up everywhere, outside shops, taxi ranks, football stadia, children’s park, cinemas, recycling centers and the list goes on and on.

+1

I've only being cycling about Dublin for 8 or 9 months, but i don't think the cycle lanes have any business in the centre of town. They should be reserved for where there are either bus lanes already, and the arteries in and out of town only.

Cyclists flying along at anything between 20km/h and 40km/h assuming that they have complete right of way and that nothing and no one should be in the cycle lane has made things infinately worse, both for motorists and pedestrians.

Cyclists flying along at anything between 20km/h and 40km/h assuming that they have complete right of way and that nothing and no one should be in the cycle lane has made things infinately worse, both for motorists and pedestrians.

...and cyclists too.

• Advertisement

I think lots of photos to the press and your TD have as much chance of anything.

+1

I've only being cycling about Dublin for 8 or 9 months, but i don't think the cycle lanes have any business in the centre of town. They should be reserved for where there are either bus lanes already, and the arteries in and out of town only.

I don't really agree, on the canal I think some cycle lanes are fine. On the canal its noticeable how few cars block it compared to other places on my route. I think its because its colour coded. That said they shouldn't be mandatory for cyclists. That makes no sense. It does make sense that cars shouldn't be allowed in them.

Of course there are some dire cycle lanes around, probably the majority. In places where cycling is very popular like Holland, they do have cycle lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

i don't think the cycle lanes have any business in the centre of town. They should be reserved for where there are either bus lanes already, and the arteries in and out of town only.

How on earth do the citizens of Paris, Amsterdam or other cities get by with cyclists whizzing around in cycle lanes?

I already did.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    I think that for a problem of this magnitude your TD is the most deserving recipient.

Don't forget your local newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

So just out of interest whom should I have reported the cyclist to who was cycling North on the M1 towards the Airport last night With out lights!, cyclists think they own the feckin' road ( Not that I'd tar all cyclists with the same brush the way people seem to tar taxi drivers! ) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So just out of interest whom should I have reported the cyclist to who was cycling North on the M1 towards the Airport last night With out lights!,
    Maybe a little obvious but the local Garda station? you won't find anyone on here arguing people should be allowed ninja it up on a motorway...
    cyclists think they own the feckin' road ( Not that I'd tar all cyclists with the same brush the way people seem to tar taxi drivers! ) :rolleyes:
    I would tar all of both, just cause its less effort. I hate both taxi drivers and cyclists. Especially cyclists though, they tend to annoy me far more often than taxi drivers.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So just out of interest whom should I have reported the cyclist to who was cycling North on the M1 towards the Airport last night With out lights!

The taxi regulator. It was probably her fault anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

You mean the taxi regulator is a woman? Is there no end to the madness?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You mean the taxi regulator is a woman? Is there no end to the madness?;)

As long as they never get to vote we'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

Near Heuston station today and got an insight into the scale of the problem the Garda have in policing taxi ranks:

~10 cars hanging off the end of the (extended) rank for Heuston, blocking the bus lane. Garda on bike arrives and spends 10 minutes moving them on, with the inevitable pleading/arguing from several drivers as he goes along.

15 minutes after the Garda left there were 28 taxis hanging off the end of the rank in the bus lane. In fact two of them joined the queue before the Garda had cleared the top of the rank as he departed.

Now if it was me, I would ticket them instead of moving them on and spend a full day doing laps and giving tickets to newly arrived cars, until the message got out. But then I'm probably not a very nice person ;) Besides it would tie up a Garda for at least a full day and only be effective for a week or two maximum.

• Advertisement

bloke wrote: »
    15 minutes after the Garda left there were 28 taxis hanging off the end of the rank in the bus lane. In fact two of them joined the queue before the Garda had cleared the top of the rank as he departed.

This happens on Dawson St. all the time. The taxi drivers queue up all afternoon and evening at a rank that doesn't start till 7pm when the bus lane goes out of operation. The Gardai come along, move them along (I've never seen a motorist less willing to comply with the order of a guard) and as soon as the guard is gone, they come back again.

They do the same at College Street (opposite Trinity) every weekend - queuing 10 cars past the back of the taxi rank, on double yellow lines and on a bend.

+1 to your idea about ticketing - I think someone already said they can/do use ANPR to issue tickets later on. I feel sorry for taxi drivers, they have a tough time making a living but I don't understand why they think they're exempt from the RTA.

Thanks for that sorry i missed it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

markpb wrote: »
    This happens on Dawson St. all the time. The taxi drivers queue up all afternoon and evening at a rank that doesn't start till 7pm when the bus lane goes out of operation. The Gardai come along, move them along (I've never seen a motorist less willing to comply with the order of a guard) and as soon as the guard is gone, they come back again.

They do the same at College Street (opposite Trinity) every weekend - queuing 10 cars past the back of the taxi rank, on double yellow lines and on a bend.

My favourite is Stephen's Green, where the rank goes in a spiral.

+1 to your idea about ticketing - I think someone already said they can/do use ANPR to issue tickets later on. I feel sorry for taxi drivers, they have a tough time making a living but I don't understand why they think they're exempt from the RTA.

First of all i agree with on the spot fines for illegally parked taxi's, but bump the fine up to a couple of hundred euro for each offense, also apply penalty points to each offense, they will soon mount. As regards sympathy for taxi drivers, it is misplaced in my opinion, you hear taxi drivers saying they work 16 hour days and only come out with 30 or 40 euro after expenses, well heres a no brainer, why dont they the cash strapped taxi drivers take a job that pays at least minimum wage, that way, they would earn their 30 or 40 euro in 3 to 4 hours,instead of 16 hours.. its quite obvious isnt it? their reluctance to seek better paid jobs suggests to me that taxi drivers arent being entirely truthful and anecdotally the vast majority have always and continue to earn much of their keep undeclared. The problem of taxi drivers creating taxi ranks wherever the hell they like is created by absentee impotent government both nationally and locally, is exacerbated by an absentee disinterested police force and a taxi regulator that doesnt seem to communicate with either.

Heres my plan, take the taxi rank on chancery place for instance, if i bring to the attention of the gardai around the corner in the bridewell station that taxis on chancery place are parking illegally and the officer shrugs his shoulders as has happened to another poster, i am within my rights to complain to the garda ombudsman about this garda's dereliction of duty, am i not? At the same time i intend to contact the parking enforcement department of dublin city council to see if i get any joy there, i could take the route of contacting my local td but this isnt merely a local issue, its happening all over the city. I have already taken photographs of illegal ranks on georges st outside dunnes and on parnell st, which i can use in evidence should it be called upon, i am like a dog with a bone on this one, enough is enough.

First of all i agree with on the spot fines for illegally parked taxi's, but bump the fine up to a couple of hundred euro for each offense, also apply penalty points to each offense, they will soon mount. As regards sympathy for taxi drivers, it is misplaced in my opinion, you hear taxi drivers saying they work 16 hour days and only come out with 30 or 40 euro after expenses, well heres a no brainer, why dont they the cash strapped taxi drivers take a job that pays at least minimum wage, that way, they would earn their 30 or 40 euro in 3 to 4 hours,instead of 16 hours.. its quite obvious isnt it? their reluctance to seek better paid jobs suggests to me that taxi drivers arent being entirely truthful and anecdotally the vast majority have always and continue to earn much of their keep undeclared. The problem of taxi drivers creating taxi ranks wherever the hell they like is created by absentee impotent government both nationally and locally, is exacerbated by an absentee disinterested police force and a taxi regulator that doesnt seem to communicate with either.

Heres my plan, take the taxi rank on chancery place for instance, if i bring to the attention of the gardai around the corner in the bridewell station that taxis on chancery place are parking illegally and the officer shrugs his shoulders as has happened to another poster, i am within my rights to complain to the garda ombudsman about this garda's dereliction of duty, am i not? At the same time i intend to contact the parking enforcement department of dublin city council to see if i get any joy there, i could take the route of contacting my local td but this isnt merely a local issue, its happening all over the city. I have already taken photographs of illegal ranks on georges st outside dunnes and on parnell st, which i can use in evidence should it be called upon, i am like a dog with a bone on this one, enough is enough.

The problem with parking in Dublin is that it's supposed to be enforced by AGS but they're too busy or just don't care. DCC hired DSPS to clamp for illegal parking and towing but neither of those are effective for anything other than expired on-street parking tickets. They're definitely not effective against a car with a driver in it (although a little part of me thinks it would be a funny image).

So now we're back to AGS again but parking enforcement is even lower on their list of priorities now because now they can pass the buck to both DSPS and the Garda Traffic Corp. So no-one is really enforcing it, other than a token gesture by GTC which isn't very effective and is very time consuming.

I agree contacting a TD seems pointless because it's a local issue but since AGS don't report to the local authorities, it becomes a national issue. To be honest, DCC can legally hire traffic wardens to issue fixed penalty notices to taxi drivers (and anyone else breaking the road traffic acts). This would be just as effective as AGS although it would require them to take drivers to court for non-payment which is why I suspect they don't bother.

Tax evading taxi drivers? Absentee disinterested police force? Garda dereliction of duty? Impotent government?

FFS, it's only a few parked cars. Just cycle round them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Why dont you just find the nearest 93 Camry parked in some random location, thats illegal but withing say 200m of a Taxi Rank.

But go to one in the Middle of the Q. Do it at around 6 so the traffic is nice and heavy, go to some destination where you know the traffic is gunna be piled up and slow moving, now engage the Taxi Driver in conversation, such as Black men robbing the wimmin or maybe Cyclists and road tax. This will distract the fat mess behind the wheel as he will be in his racist ignorant element. Once you have gotten the meter up a Good bit Just tell him to go **** himself and that he should get a proper job and leg it.

**** you ye illegally parked nazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't mind generally, but the buses and taxis that use the end of the contraflow cycle lane on Inchicore Road to park in front of the Hilton are somewhat annoying -- especially as they often drive down it too. Being forced out into oncoming traffic is rather insulting; I can't say that as yet it has posed a huge hazard to me.

Lumen wrote: »
    Tax evading taxi drivers? Absentee disinterested police force? Garda dereliction of duty? Impotent government?

FFS, it's only a few parked cars. Just cycle round them.

Not the kind of 'constructive input' I would expect from a mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement