Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place for a set of tyres

Options
  • 31-05-2010 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Howdy!Anyone reccomend the best place to get a set of continentals in letterkenny or indeed in donegal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I get all my tyres in modern tyres in strabane (the one at the end of railway road, the road with the carpark on it near the middle of the town, after the farmers [something or another] off license) i know i prob should by them in the south where i live but you can't argue with a saving of €140 euro on 4 tyres (the same brand and type) and i done a lot of pricing around....

Edit, i went into the continantal webiste and done a search results below

mgi&t=0.01863300+1275329037

1. Motorway Tyres Ltd.
    139 Strand Road, BT48 7PB Londonderry
    Dist.: 0,5 ml
    Route
    More Info
    2. ATS Euromaster Ltd.
    37 Gledermott Road, BT47 6BG Waterside
    Dist.: 0,6 ml
    Route
    More Info
    3. Donnelly Van Centre (VW) Londonderry 008
    Campsie Industrial Estate, Courtauld Clooney Road, BT47 3DM Londonderry
    Dist.: 0,6 ml
    Route
    More Info
    4. Modern Tyre Service
    138 Strand Road, BT48 7PD Derry
    Dist.: 1,1 ml
    Route
    More Info
    5. North west Tyre & Battery
    177D Strand Road, BT48 7PS Londonderry
    Dist.: 1,3 ml
    Route
    More Info
    6. Mcgarrity Motors (Seat) 4763U (Seat)
    7 Campsie Business Park, Eglinton, BT47 3XX Derry
    Dist.: 2,8 ml
    Route
    More Info
    7. Philip White Tyres Ltd.
    Unit 4 Lynwood Business Centre, Courtald Way, BT47 3XX Campsie
    Dist.: 2,8 ml
    Route
    More Info
    8. Donnelly 866
    Courtauld Way, Campsie Industrial Estate, Cloony Road, BT47 3DN Eglington
    Dist.: 5,4 ml
    Route
    More Info
    9. Caldwell Tyres Ards Reg 1
    11 Lifford Road, BT82 8ER Strabane
    Dist.: 12,8 ml
    Route
    More Info
    10. Advance Pit Stop

Port Road, Letterkenny Letterkenny
    Dist.: 16,7 ml
    Route
    More Info

Lists advance pitstop (in letterkenny) as the only supplier in donegal, although im sure if you get out a phonebook/yellow pages/big red book and phone arpund most places should get you a price...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

martin tyres lifford are fairly decent to especially if ya want to get part worn tyres €30-€40 euro each cant be bad at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

mk2 wrote: »
    martin tyres lifford are fairly decent to especially if ya want to get part worn tyres €30-€40 euro each cant be bad at that

I cannot understand why anyone would put part worn tyres on a car, for a start why were they taken off the car, and secondly your not saving any money on the long run your prob going to be down money, half worn = half the milage!

And martins tyres were one of the most expensive places i went into to price tyres for my car, although different places will be cheaper for different sizes if that makes sense so they could be cheap for one size / brand, expensive for another...

O.P. i was also advised to look here (http://www.eiretyres.com/) and get them fitted myself it worked out about the same price for me (when you added on the €5 fitting per wheel and €5 balance) so i decided to go with my usuall guys, it still might be worth a look for you though, is there a reason why you want continental? ive never had them myself or had anyone reccomend them to me, i know different people perfear diff brands ect, but just never heard of continental being prefeared before?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

xp90 wrote: »
    Howdy!Anyone reccomend the best place to get a set of continentals in letterkenny or indeed in donegal?
    You could try Tullys about 3 miles out the lifford road on the left going towards l/kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mk2 wrote: »
    I laugh every time I see their ad which states "slightly used new tyres" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

have you tried on-line? i can recomend these guys,

http://www.camskill.co.uk/

very good for 4x4 tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The Tire place beside Garys' pet world,where the old BMW garage used to be is a great spot.

Wile civil staff and good prices aswell as quick work. Got the 2 cars sorted out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Looking to get some updates to see if it's worth my while buying local when next up.

I don't want cheap Chinese tat or part worns - I'm looking for mid-range tyres (e.g. Kumho, Falken, Toyo etc) for 18" wheels.

Has anyone bought in or around Letterkenny lately? Is it worth going to Derry/Strabane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I take it Nangkang are out for you then so. For what it's worth, I got them for 40 each last week in Ulster Tyres, 17".

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Looking to get some updates to see if it's worth my while buying local when next up.

I don't want cheap Chinese tat or part worns - I'm looking for mid-range tyres (e.g. Kumho, Falken, Toyo etc) for 18" wheels.

Has anyone bought in or around Letterkenny lately? Is it worth going to Derry/Strabane?

I normally always price ulster tyres in Stranorlar and end up getting mine there. Their price is always on the money and they can source most brands of tyre if you are after something in particular.
    I'd be a big fan on nankangs myself find that they wear very well and never move from under the car. The last set I had on a rwd BMW i ended up getting 38000 miles from the back two and 44000 from the front two tyres, the back tyres still had some wear left on them but i changed them going into the winter incase we'd get snow. I tried to get the same tyres again but nowhere had them in stock. I priced round and I got laughed at in modern tyres in Strabane when I told them the milage I'd up on my old tyres and the guy there said I'd be lucky to get 20000 miles out of a set of tyres. Probably true for the cheap ones he was selling though.

I went back to ulster tyres and I bought 4 falkens. I'd heard good reviews on them but ive found the car sliding when cornering fast a few times with them. I don't think I'd buy falkens again.

I've often priced tyres in Strabane and bought there once. Gotba great price, but found the tyres to be of poor quality(possible counterfeit, clones or remould). I got 4 Uniroyal's but they didn't last long and were terrible grippers in the wet. There's always a difference between a good tyre and a cheap tyre

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. I wouldn't go for Nankangs, but at that price, Ulster Tyres were on my list to call for a quote for something else.

But, Illistrin Tyres came up trumps with a price for Toyo at €115 per corner. That's a very good price especially considering I can't get them down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I'd be a big fan on nankangs myself find that they wear very well ....
    The last set I had on a rwd BMW i ended up getting 38000 miles from the back two and 44000 from the front two tyres,.....
    I priced round and I got laughed at in modern tyres in Strabane when I told them the milage I'd up on my old tyres and the guy there said I'd be lucky to get 20000 miles out of a set of tyres. Probably true for the cheap ones he was selling though.

I went back to ulster tyres and I bought 4 falkens. I'd heard good reviews on them but ive found the car sliding when cornering fast a few times with them. I don't think I'd buy falkens again.

I've often priced tyres in Strabane and bought there once. Gotba great price, but found the tyres to be of poor quality(possible counterfeit, clones or remould). I got 4 Uniroyal's but they didn't last long and were terrible grippers in the wet. There's always a difference between a good tyre and a cheap tyre

OMFG :eek:

<MOD SNIP>

I'm actually worried anyone might read your post and take it seriously so I feel the need to answer.

You drove a RWD car on Nangkangs (or 'Ditchfinders' as anyone with a passing interest in cars calls them), got 38000 miles out of the rears and thought they had good grip ?
    Then you continue by saying Falkens gave some slip while cornering fast (fine, all tyres will, but not the Nangkangs?).
    And finally, you criticize the Uniroyals for not getting good wear out of them and more shockingly, being rubbish in the wet!?
    I've drven on Toyo Proxes R, Kumho Ecsta KU31, Falken Azeni, Uniroyal Rainsport2 and Good Year Eagle Venturas.
    The Good Years are the best in the wet, followed by the Uniroyals, then Toyo, then the Kumho and Falken are tied.

I've driven on cheap Chinese rubbish too and the difference is scary. Stopping distances in the dry are significantly increased, in the wet it's a case of driving incredibly carefully, with massive understeer if you get it wrong in a wet bend and I'd hate to try an emergency stop in the wet.
    Sure, they'll last for 40000 miles, but that's the problem. The tyres are supposed to wear out, that's what gives you grip. Hard plastic tyres might last for 10 years but are positively dangerous on grip levels. The rubber compound on higher end tyres stays soft in colder conditions like we mostly have in Ireland and gives more grip. The tread pattern is also more efficient and the ride is more comfortable and quieter.

Grip - Longlife - Price
    Pick 2 of the above.

If you skimp on the one thing that keeps your car in contact with the tarmac, then I do not want to be anywhere near you on the road.

Good post on the tyres Pique but probably more suited to the motors forum.

Now then, where can the various types be bought and at what price?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always wonder why people would scrimp on something as important as good tyres?

I would never consider putting part worn tyres on my car. The idea of losing grip on a wet corner with my family on board would always make me buy new tyres and decent quality ones.

muffler wrote: »

Now then, where can the various types be bought and at what price?

I'll report back if I get my Toyos at the weekend. I've had them several times before but always bought online. Impossible to get in the Pale, so if I get them from Illistrin Tyres at the price quoted I'll be a happy man.

Hankook Ventus V12 in Ballybofey on the left hand side heading to Donegal Town before the first petrol station.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 in Donegal Tyres in Donegal town.

Prices depend on size though.
    17" in those are about €125 each.

I'll report back if I get my Toyos at the weekend. I've had them several times before but always bought online. Impossible to get in the Pale, so if I get them from Illistrin Tyres at the price quoted I'll be a happy man.

You can get Toyo tyres in Derry for about £80 iirc.

'Modern Tyres' in Derry sell all the big makes.
    http://www.moderntyres.com/products_tyres.cfm

Modern Tyres were on my list to call, but I was happy with the price quoted by Illistrin Tyres and they were recommended by a mate. We'll see what happens.

Without getting into too much of a debate, I like Toyos, even if they are a bit soft. First preference this time round was Kumho, but they were a bit more expensive than the Toyo.

Uniroyal Rainsport are on the list to try as well at some stage. I could live with €125 a corner for 17s.

Well report back if you end up with a good deal as I'd prefer to keep the business local rather than spend my money elsewhere next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Pique wrote: »
    OMFG :eek:

<MOD SNIP>

I'm actually worried anyone might read your post and take it seriously so I feel the need to answer.

You drove a RWD car on Nangkangs (or 'Ditchfinders' as anyone with a passing interest in cars calls them), got 38000 miles out of the rears and thought they had good grip ?
    Then you continue by saying Falkens gave some slip while cornering fast (fine, all tyres will, but not the Nangkangs?).
    And finally, you criticize the Uniroyals for not getting good wear out of them and more shockingly, being rubbish in the wet!?
    I've drven on Toyo Proxes R, Kumho Ecsta KU31, Falken Azeni, Uniroyal Rainsport2 and Good Year Eagle Venturas.
    The Good Years are the best in the wet, followed by the Uniroyals, then Toyo, then the Kumho and Falken are tied.

I've driven on cheap Chinese rubbish too and the difference is scary. Stopping distances in the dry are significantly increased, in the wet it's a case of driving incredibly carefully, with massive understeer if you get it wrong in a wet bend and I'd hate to try an emergency stop in the wet.
    Sure, they'll last for 40000 miles, but that's the problem. The tyres are supposed to wear out, that's what gives you grip. Hard plastic tyres might last for 10 years but are positively dangerous on grip levels. The rubber compound on higher end tyres stays soft in colder conditions like we mostly have in Ireland and gives more grip. The tread pattern is also more efficient and the ride is more comfortable and quieter.

Grip - Longlife - Price
    Pick 2 of the above.

If you skimp on the one thing that keeps your car in contact with the tarmac, then I do not want to be anywhere near you on the road.

Sorry for going off topic here but what was said in my first post is all true and based on normal driving on tyres from new and changed before they were down to the safety marks.

I have had Nankangs on both front and rwd cars and couldn't fault them. They have in my experience always gripped well and wore extremely well. Front tyres on fwd car never lasted as long as the rears on the rwd but were around 30000 miles before due for changing. I've never lost traction with them and from my experience with them can't see how they got the name ditchfinders. Maybe they have different grades of tyre I don't know. I always change my tyres before they have worn down to the safety marks so this is safe mileage. I'm not the kind of person to run around on bald tyres to save money.
    As for the falkens in my experience again the 4 falkens on the same car as 4 nankangs were not near as good a gripping tyre. Often slid at the back where never did before on the old tyres.

Regarding the uniroyals I had maybe I wasn't clear in my first post but I got them in Strabane at a great price and later suspected them to be clones. They were stamped Uniroyal the rain tyre had all the correct markings and logos but were rubbish in the wet. Aquaplaned on any smooth stretch of road in the wet. Try to steer coming to a bend and the front of the car continued straight ahead unless you braked or accelerated to change speed.
    Very dangerous and scary experience so had to change them.

I don't skimp on tyres and in my experience I find that I get good grip and long life at a reasonable price from the nankangs. I often hear them called ditchfinders but usually the person saying it hasnt ever had them or have never met anyone who has had them and ditched a car because of them.

I think were both saying the same thing regarding tyre quality and getting what you pay for. Its like everything a lot of tyres are over and underrated due to good publicity and marketing or lack thereof. But at the end of the day you get what you pay for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

I had a set of nankang tyres on the front of a 1.8 petrol focus for all of 2 days before I had to take them of, no grip wet or dry, scary to drive on and very little strength in the sidewall. Had federal 595 after that, again very poor. Loud road noise, poor in the wet and wore very odd despite tracking being dead on!

Kuhmo ecsta ku39 are what I use now always. Reinforced sidewalls, great dry grip and not too bad in the wet either. Dealthwith callaghans in Burt for tyres and found them reasonable enough

Dealt with callaghans in Burt for tyres and found them reasonable enough

What size and what did you pay for the Kumho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Picked up two 225 40 R18 Kumhos at €85 each from Gibbon's Tyres in Gortlee, Letterkenny last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

What size and what did you pay for the Kumho?

205/40/17 I think 70-75 a tyre about a year and a half ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Ring up this guy;

tayers2.jpg

Pardon the pun but "tayers" would be enough to make me walk ;)

ppshay wrote: »
    Picked up two 225 40 R18 Kumhos at €85 each from Gibbon's Tyres in Gortlee, Letterkenny last week.

Really??? Brand new? Did you just walk out with the tyres or did you have them fitted as well?
    205/40/17 I think 70-75 a tyre about a year and a half ago

That sounds like a very good price as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

I also found Gibbons Tyres to be good value. Friendly and helpful too, unlike a lot of local tyre places locally who look at you as if you have two heads when looking for something which they don't have in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Flibbles wrote: »
    Ring up this guy;

tayers2.jpg

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to understand him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Really??? Brand new? Did you just walk out with the tyres or did you have them fitted as well?
    Yeah, new tires, fitted.

Advertisement