Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place for a set of tyres

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

ppshay wrote: »
    Picked up two 225 40 R18 Kumhos at €85 each from Gibbon's Tyres in Gortlee, Letterkenny last week.

Wow, that is impressive when I check the online prices

http://www.oponeo.ie/tyre-finder/car-tyres/kumho/225-40-r18

205/40/17 I think 70-75 a tyre about a year and a half ago

Compares very favourably with online pricing

http://www.oponeo.ie/tyre-finder/car-tyres/kumho/205-40-r17

Ended up getting 4 x Kumho KU37 225/40/18 92W from Gibbons' in Gortlee for €85 a corner all in. Cheers for the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Ended up getting 4 x Kumho KU37 225/40/18 92W from Gibbons' in Gortlee for €85 a corner all in. Cheers for the recommendations.

Jebus :eek:

€30 per tyre cheaper than Eiretyres and fitting included?!

Fantastic deal!

Pique wrote: »
    Jebus :eek:

€30 per tyre cheaper than Eiretyres and fitting included?!

Fantastic deal!

It is indeed. Their FB page says that they are running a 'special offer' on Kumho at the moment. He seems to have no problem getting them, he had these four in stock when I called him this morning. I was quoted €169 a corner for Kumho in Maynooth and not by a major outlet.

Unfortunately for Illistrin Tyres, they were only able to get me two Toyos and so I had to pass. I called Ulster Tyre Company in Lettekenny this morning but all they had in the size I wanted was Nankang. In fairness to Illistrin Tyres, they offered to courier the other two tyres to me when their supplier was able to get them, but my head is wrecked with the four I have on at the moment and I wanted it sorted today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Needing to replace the 2 front tyres on my Ceed tomorrow, so maybe I'll try Gibbons also.

They're R17s, the last pair put on are not great, and whine a bit at speeds. Thought the bearings were gone, but no, tis the cheap tyres.

Would Kumho's be a good all rounder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

byte wrote: »
    Needing to replace the 2 front tyres on my Ceed tomorrow, so maybe I'll try Gibbons also.

They're R17s, the last pair put on are not great, and whine a bit at speeds. Thought the bearings were gone, but no, tis the cheap tyres.

Very much so and very underrated tyre too.

Yep. Have them in 17s for winter. So far so good today. He was getting more in as I was leaving. He had some in stock but I can't be sure he had your size and if he did have 17s then maybe not right fitment.

Most of the rest of what was on the shelf wouldn't appeal to me to be honest.

byte

Thanks lads.

In the end, I bought Semperit Speed-Life 17's in DTC in Donegal town, save me the effort of driving to Letterkenny. €95 a corner, dunno how good/bad that is.

Thanks lads.

In the end, I bought Semperit Speed-Life 17's in DTC in Donegal town, save me the effort of driving to Letterkenny. €95 a corner, dunno how good/bad that is.

Well they are around €100 on Oponeo (including delivery) or €85 on Camskill (ex delivery) and that's before fitting, balancing and disposal, so I would say €95 is a fair price.

• Advertisement
    byte

Well they are around €100 on Oponeo (including delivery) or €85 on Camskill (ex delivery) and that's before fitting, balancing and disposal, so I would say €95 is a fair price.
    Seems I didn't do too bad so. Thanks!

So far, they seem good, though not had a lot of inclement weather to worry about. A lot less noisier than the garbage they replaced, and the whine is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyone ever use GT radials?

Need to get 2 shortly for the front and while I normally just go to modern tyres in Strabane after reading this thread I emailed / rang a few places and they all have different brands so its very hard to compare like with like.

Anyone bought tyres lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Yes, from openeo.ie

Local places are either stocking bottom of the barrel rubbish or else charging through the nose for mid range tyres.

It's a damn shame that the available tyres are nowhere near the 'best of' lists and are still attracting a premium because of the brand, regardless of its actual performance.

It appears that tyre sellers are just selling tyres and don't care about the grip levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone bought tyres lately?

Got Perillis in McCormacks Opel (sligo) in the summer. Was after Bridgestone Turanza, which they did not have in stock at the time. Around 80-85 a corner for 205/55 16. I'm sure Herrons in Donegal Town would offer similar.

Advertisement