Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pc - Power but no boot up

• 31-05-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was using the PC as normal when it just shutdown unexpectedly (abruptly, not a "click here to shutdown" type shutdown).

Anyway, it has power, fans are running and the HDD is spinning.

I transferred the HDD to another machine and it works fine, I assume if it had a problem I'd get the "non-system disk" type error on startup.

I also tried to reset the CMOS via the jumpers as recommended on lenovo's website but no difference.

Any ideas what might be the trouble? Screwed BIOS? Dead motherboard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Did you try to reset the RAM? I work with a load of Lenovo PC's and this is a common problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I've removed both RAM simms and replaced them one by one. How else do you mean to reset the ram?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Could possibly be a dead motherboard or dead PSU, use the paperclip test to see if the PSU is the culprit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Sorry I meant reseat the ram. Did you try using only one in at a time? and trying them in different slots. Also clean the metal connectors on the ram.

If it's not a ram issue, you are looking at a motherboard or cpu problem.
    If it is still under warranty their support number is 018811444

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Thanks, yeah I've tried the RAMs individually. Might put them into another PC and see how they get on.

Hope its not the motherboard.

Quick Q if it is, I have XP and Office 2007 on the HDD, if I were to order another Lenovo system (bare bones, only a DOS licence) and swap in my HDD would it recognise the new system? I remember that the dell supplied XP only worked on a dell pc (same for hp). So if I stick to lenovo and just buy a new chassis, psu, motherboard and put in my HDD it should work? Don't really need to buy XP again. Office is no problem as I have the disks.

Drivers might be screwed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

Try to re-seat all the hardware..........

Advertisement