Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body Discovered in Knockalisheen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Same family as in today's paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Kess73 wrote: »
    Same family as in today's paper?

Supposedly. Hopefully it's true.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Supposedly. Hopefully it's true.

Would give them some closure if true then. Ten years is a long time.

If true then it does show how little by way of conscience some people have with regards to knowing where a body is, as it was only today that a reward was offered in the paper for information that led to the exact location of the lad's body.

The idea of someone knowing where a body was for ten years and not giving the family any closure until a cash reward was offered is sickening tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Dunno lads - think that report has been updated on Breaking News mentioning somebody going missing in the last number of days

Gardai are investigating the possible discovery of a shallow grave on the outskirts of Limerick city.

The discovery was made by a man out walking in Knockalisheen at around 3.30pm this afternoon.

The area has been sealed off and investigations are underway.

Gardaí have confirmed that a local man was reported missing a number of days ago.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-investigate-possible-body-find-in-limerick-459858.html#ixzz0pWdqndyO

According to RTE:
    The search is connected to an investigation into the whereabouts of a 25-year-old man from the nearly Ballynanty area, who is reported missing by his family last Saturday and who was last seen on Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Good to see now the family will get some closure. Is it blocking the entire Knockalisheen centre does anyone know?

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Dunno lads - think that report has been updated on Breaking News mentioning somebody going missing in the last number of days

Gardai are investigating the possible discovery of a shallow grave on the outskirts of Limerick city.

The discovery was made by a man out walking in Knockalisheen at around 3.30pm this afternoon.

The area has been sealed off and investigations are underway.

Gardaí have confirmed that a local man was reported missing a number of days ago.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-investigate-possible-body-find-in-limerick-459858.html#ixzz0pWdqndyO

According to RTE:
    The search is connected to an investigation into the whereabouts of a 25-year-old man from the nearly Ballynanty area, who is reported missing by his family last Saturday and who was last seen on Thursday

If it is someone reported missing in the last few days then it is someone else to who was mentioned in today's paper.

If the guy was found in a shallow grave then natural causes are ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Apologies if this was misleading so. I was told by a couple of differnt people that it was in connection with days story in the paper, but it's looking like it's a different family who are going to be grieving tonight.
    Sad either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

The lad found dead was from Ballynanty, he had a drug problem but was harmless. Terrible thing to happen, hopefully the scumbags who did this will be caught.

Another life lost to the scum of this town.

I was hoping it was the remains of the lad in the paper so that his family would get some closure.

Is it Gussie Shanahan that ye are referring to? Not looking like his poor family will ever get closure.

The poor lad today was found with his hands tied behind his back in a shallow grave shot in the head. Limerick is full of scum, this lad was harmless and didn't deserve that.

• Advertisement

Jigga wrote: »
    Is it Gussie Shanahan that ye are referring to? Not looking like his poor family will ever get closure.

The poor lad today was found with his hands tied behind his back in a shallow grave shot in the head. Limerick is full of scum, this lad was harmless and didn't deserve that.

Yeah that was who I hoped it was that was finally found.

Sounds like the guy found today had a nasty death.

No doubt the usual councillors and politicians will be giving soundbites over the next few days over how killing will not be tolerated any more and harsh punishments await those caught for crime.:rolleyes:

I really do wonder what it will actually take for those that make and enforce the laws in this country to actually start clamping down on those convicted of serious crime in this country, and start applying the laws that are already in place to their fullest degree of punishment.

Maybe some of the money being used/wasted on bailing out the likes of Anglo Irish bank (an extra ten billion was announced today as being needed for them) should be put into building more prisons in this country and into staffing those prisons. It would be money well spent in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Reeled in by their product.

Addicted to their shít product.

Owed them a few quid.

Taken away and shot in cold blood by 3-4 'Hard' Men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Raiser wrote: »

Owed them a few quid.

Taken away and shot in cold blood by 3-4 'Hard' Men.

You know that is probably societies fault for not "supporting" the community. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

R.I.P:( deepest condolences to all his family and friends
    Why so many young men in Ireland dying in these circumstance of their bodies been dumped:(

Recently lost one of my siblings:( very young also and in sudden circumstances.I can honestly say it is something not a single one of us will ever get over.:( we are all shattered :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Owed them a few quid.

Taken away and shot in cold blood by 3-4 chicken ass scum.

Fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Remember when 'life in prison' MEANT life?
    Coz I don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ColinM9991

I woke up today thinking it would be any normal day
    My mum came to me and said "Your brother found his girlfriends brother dead in a grave"

It was not to long ago i was staying in my brother and his girlfriends house and i met the person found today, who is technically a family member to me.

People would rather take a life than live a life free of drugs.

I blame the Government for giving out these ridiculous prison sentences and i blame the Drugs for reeling someone in and taking their life..

R.I.P
    You'll be missed by family and friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ColinM9991 wrote: »
    I woke up today thinking it would be any normal day
    My mum came to me and said "Your brother found his girlfriends brother dead in a grave"

It was not to long ago i was staying in my brother and his girlfriends house and i met the person found today, who is technically a family member to me.

People would rather take a life than live a life free of drugs.

I blame the Government for giving out these ridiculous prison sentences and i blame the Drugs for reeling someone in and taking their life..

R.I.P
    You'll be missed by family and friends

[mod edit] Until it can be confirmed that all family members have been informed, it is probably best not to post the name of this individual yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ColinM9991

[mod edit] Until it can be confirmed that all family members have been informed, it is probably best not to post the name of this individual yet.

All members are informed already
    Not by the Guardi.
    I have removed the name until it is confirmed in news paper/tv

I apologize for that. Just registered to make this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ColinM9991 wrote: »
    All members are informed already
    Not by the Guardi.
    I have removed the name until it is confirmed in news paper/tv

I apologize for that. Just registered to make this post

no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Remember when 'life in prison' MEANT life?
    Coz I don't...

Thats because it never did in Ireland.. All "Lifers" are entitled to a review after 9 years unless the judge recommends different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I found out this morning that the person found is a second cousin of my OH. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Had the pleasure of playing hurling with him many times for a club in Corbally. Was a great athlete and loved a bit of hurling and football back in his teens. He was a good guy, I feel really sad for his family.

May he RIP

irish

Apparently, there is no definitive announcement of the person yet, So by whom were ye told who it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I assume they are friends or know the family and word has filtered through.

Millie wrote: »
    I assume they are friends or know the family and word has filtered through.

There you go...

True, but What I ment was, has the body actually been confirmed as being him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

He won't be named by gardai until after post mortem.

All the papers have named him as 25 year old from ballynanty. RIP.

Marie Cassidy is on her way down to do the post mortem according to news, so it wil be some tonight when she confirms he cause at which point they will release his name.
    I really hope the person responsible is caught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gymsey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

that explains jack **** for a start lee wasnt a dealer, he was a recovering addict, who was harmelss, he was 21 years old with a little girl of 2 yrs his family are some of the nicest people i have had the pleasure of knowing as was he, and while everyone talks of him doing this and that no one will talk about the time he stopped 3 men from trying to break into my house, or any of the numerous good things he did, he was by no means an angel but he wasnt a druggie. nor was he a gang member

That examiner story is a load of sensationalist tripe, he was not a dealer. "Local sources" - what rubbish. The examiner should be able to come up with better than this.

caspa307 wrote: »
    that explains jack **** for a start lee wasnt a dealer, he was a recovering addict, who was harmelss, he was 21 years old with a little girl of 2 yrs his family are some of the nicest people i have had the pleasure of knowing as was he, and while everyone talks of him doing this and that no one will talk about the time he stopped 3 men from trying to break into my house, or any of the numerous good things he did, he was by no means an angel but he wasnt a druggie. nor was he a gang member

And to add to that, he was a fine hurler too! He just made some wrong decisions on the direction of his life but i believe he was recovering as best he could.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

caspa307 wrote: »

Makes his untimely death even sadder then. I wonder why he was killed? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Story_Bud

Berty wrote: »
    You know that is probably societies fault for not "supporting" the community. :rolleyes:

X2 ... Well Done Berty XD

• Advertisement

Makes his untimely death even sadder then. I wonder why he was killed? :confused:

dunno mate really dont the only think i can think of is maybe he owed money

The day will hopefully come when the Communities these Cnuts are working out of get sick of watching them drive Mercs and BMWs paid for off the back of the misery inflicted on the local young People.

- There's windows on every House surrounding their activities, I'd find it impossible to believe that their movements, methods and shipments aren't witnessed daily by People who'd do well to make a few confidential calls...... Take them off the Streets one at a time.

The day will hopefully come when the Communities these Cnuts are working out of get sick of watching them drive Mercs and BMWs paid for off the back of the misery inflicted on the local young People.

- There's windows on every House surrounding their activities, I'd find it impossible to believe that their movements, methods and shipments aren't witnessed daily by People who'd do well to make a few confidential calls...... Take them off the Streets one at a time.

agreed surly someone sees something strange even 1 out of 10 times, but then we have to rely on the guards to protect the innocent and at the moment theyre just not doing it

Raiser, you don't really think it is just a case of ringing the guards and saying "Ya, I saw him doing that"
    There is an awful lot more involved I would think (and hope) to having someone charged with an offence. It's for this reason people don't bother with the confidential lines idea, I would think there is a lot more involved than one call.

Raiser, you don't really think it is just a case of ringing the guards and saying "Ya, I saw him doing that"
    There is an awful lot more involved I would think (and hope) to having someone charged with an offence. It's for this reason people don't bother with the confidential lines idea, I would think there is a lot more involved than one call.

I don't mean to or want to oversimplify a complex issue - But I'd imagine if calls were made then People could be watched, observed about their 'business' especially in terms of who with, and then arrested.

- Increase the sentences for possession with intent to supply and lock them up for 15 or 20 actual years at a time.
    The leader of the Keane-Collopy gang, Christy Keane, is due for release from prison later this year. Keane has served the bulk of a 10-year sentence after he was caught red-handed with a coal bag full of drugs by a young garda.

Full article is here - Thats 10 years after literally being caught with a sackful of drugs wandering around the Island Field...... These People aren't Arch Criminals either - The success rate is low considering.....

• Advertisement

Calling is generally a waste of time. We have been calling about a car in our area which pulls in three times a week, and then the local scum go over to it and some transactions take place.

Has been going on for a couple of months.
    Rang Roxboro. Told the garda on the phone what I saw. Gave the reg number, car make and colour (Grey Ford Fiesta), the location and said the car is still here if he could send a car out to check it out.

His reply after getting the info? That it was not really their call to deal with it, and he would pass the information onto the drug squad.

Same car is still doing it's drop offs every week. Have even come across the same car on a regular basis since near where my mother lives, and the same pattern of the car pulling up, and the local users/small time dealers wondering up to the window.

I had gotten into the habit of sitting on my wall when the car parked near my house and saluted those inside the car whenever they made eye contact, and they started to move a bit further up the road to park when I kept doing that, but since I spotted them using the same area as my mother's house I have stopped doing that as I don't want to risk drawing anyone onto her.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Internment is the only way.

The gardai know exactly who the culprits are but cannot get at the big boys because they have young punks to do their dirty work.

I bet there are already a good number of people who know exactly who is responsible for this deed and i would imagine that more than one person is involved, but short of an admission from the guilty party then there aint much the gardai can do about it.

Its easy to blame the gardai but in fairness they cannot do very much in the way of preventative action other than to but these people under surveillance 24 hours a day. Quiet frankly they do not have the resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Kess73 wrote: »
    Calling is generally a waste of time. We have been calling about a car in our area which pulls in three times a week, and then the local scum go over to it and some transactions take place.

Has been going on for a couple of months.
    Rang Roxboro. Told the garda on the phone what I saw. Gave the reg number, car make and colour (Grey Ford Fiesta), the location and said the car is still here if he could send a car out to check it out.

His reply after getting the info? That it was not really their call to deal with it, and he would pass the information onto the drug squad.

Same car is still doing it's drop offs every week. Have even come across the same car on a regular basis since near where my mother lives, and the same pattern of the car pulling up, and the local users/small time dealers wondering up to the window.

I had gotten into the habit of sitting on my wall when the car parked near my house and saluted those inside the car whenever they made eye contact, and they started to move a bit further up the road to park when I kept doing that, but since I spotted them using the same area as my mother's house I have stopped doing that as I don't want to risk drawing anyone onto her.

1. Camera set up in hedge near them, obviously far away from a house so they don't target someone for it.
    2. Record deal.
    3. Post on Youtube.
    4. Embarrass the authorities into doing something about it.
    5. Repeat for every other scumbug we see dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

jimoc wrote: »
    1. Camera set up in hedge near them, obviously far away from a house so they don't target someone for it.
    2. Record deal.
    3. Post on Youtube.

And get shot in the process.

jimoc wrote: »
    2. Record deal.
    3. Post on Youtube.

I would lay money that if I had a camera set up like that and was caught for it, it would not take long for me to end up before the courts. The law moves fast when it suits it.

Although Raiser lives somewhere in the area. Maybe I can put the camera outside his house so he gets blamed............:)

That Jimmy Woulfe article is a ****ing outrage, who does he think he is calling Lee a low level drugs dealer. as I said yesterday he had a drug problem but was harmless. Half that article is about James Cronin's murder, what the hell has that got to do with anything? Plenty of rumours around as to why he was murdered, an unpaid debt would be my guess.

That Jimmy Woulfe article is a ****ing outrage, who does he think he is calling Lee a low level drugs dealer. as I said yesterday he had a drug problem but was harmless. Half that article is about James Cronin's murder, what the hell has that got to do with anything? Plenty of rumours around as to why he was murdered, an unpaid debt would be my guess.

The journalist would be better served writing an article as to why this sort of murder has now become a common occurrence all over Ireland, and why judges all over the country continue to allow dangerous people to get pathetic sentences in their courts.

Its been confirmed now.
    It was Lee Slattery as suspected.

Poor guy, I really hope the killer(s) are caught

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0601/limerick.html

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

I knew Lee and his brother Ray when I was younger as well from hurling. Lost track of him over the years. What a truly horrible way to die. My sympathies to Lee's family.

Ar dheis dé go raibh a h-anam.

R.I.P lee

• Advertisement
Advertisement