Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you a troubled teen?

• 31-05-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Was listening to Sean Moncrieff there earlier. He had this woman on who was talking about gender stereotypes, how boys are seen to be sulky and withdrawn in their teens, while girls are seen to be stroppy, bitchy etc.

I was just thinking how I never really experienced the angst ridden teenage years. I was, by and large, a dream for my parents! :D Was always polite, helped out at home from an early age, continued to value the company of older people, didnt go through any spells as a goth.........
    I always thought the whole sulky, moaning, layabout teenager thing was abit of an American problem. Most of my friends growing up were the same. Maybe its cos Im from down the country and am obviously the salt 'a da earth!

So my question is were you a pain in the ass as a teenager, or were ya a model of respectabilty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

I can hear the extravagent tooting of your own horn from the other side of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I wasn't the worst I did have my moments.
    I only knew one girl who always seemed to be happy 24/7. It was weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

I have my good days, i have my bad. I dont know anybody whos perfectly happy all the time. Id say my parents are glad i amnt a robot, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

seanaor wrote: »
    I have my good days, i have my bad. I dont know anybody whos perfectly happy all the time. Id say my parents are glad i amnt a robot, too.

Dude, you're a disgrace to your parents! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

Yeah, i was a right cúnt in my teens.. have you got a problem with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yes, but I damn well had good reasons to be.

Just because someone appears troubled doesn't mean they're selfish or an emo. I had a lot to deal with that most kids never would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

liah wrote: »
    Yes, but I damn well had good reasons to be.

Just because someone appears troubled doesn't mean they're selfish or an emo. I had a lot to deal with that most kids never would.

god i dont know how your still alive, if i was Canadian i woulda topped myself a long time ago. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was a model of respectability, right up until the moment I went out of my parents' front door each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Was a moody little know-it-all bollix with stupid haircuts who got sent home from school a lot and got into some other bother.

I secretly wouldn't give tuppence for teenagers who act like OAPs.

OP sounds like one of those comic characters that have names like Walter The Softy or Cedric Soft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Troubled? No.

Bit of a spa? Yes, some things never change.

I had a lot to deal with that most kids never would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Still technically a teenage but was relatively good over the year. I had my moments but they got ironed out over the years. Still think to this very day that I think more than most people my age though.....:D I think we need the insight of brummy for the most legitimate view of teenage life?

I had a lot to deal with that most kids never would.

Being Canadian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I was a grumpy ignorant argumentative little bastard who thought Kurt Cobain was God and life was ****e.

I'm sound as a pound now though :)

Amn't I? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

My teenage years got lost in a wash of death and violence-sadly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was a good kid, sure I got in trouble or in fights and that but grand, they even asked me to work in the school :S more a of a troubled adult really!

stovelid wrote: »
    Was a moody little know-it-all bollix with stupid haircuts who got sent home from school a lot and got into some other bother.

I secretly wouldn't give tuppence for teenagers who act like OAPs.

OP sounds like one of those comic characters that have names like Walter The Softy or Cedric Soft.

I wouldnt give a ha'penny for little know-it-all bollixs who grow up to be bigger know-it-all bollixs. So I guess we're even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Agricola wrote: »
    Was listening to Sean Moncrieff there earlier. He had this woman on who was talking about gender stereotypes, how boys are seen to be sulky and withdrawn in their teens, while girls are seen to be stroppy, bitchy etc.

I was just thinking how I never really experienced the angst ridden teenage years. I was, by and large, a dream for my parents! :D Was always polite, helped out at home from an early age, continued to value the company of older people, didnt go through any spells as a goth.........
    I always thought the whole sulky, moaning, layabout teenager thing was abit of an American problem. Most of my friends growing up were the same. Maybe its cos Im from down the country and am obviously the salt 'a da earth!

So my question is were you a pain in the ass as a teenager, or were ya a model of respectabilty?
    Full of yourself much?I myself was/still am a model teenager.Apple of my mothers eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Boring! =P

Early to mid-teens: pale make-up, black clothes and an untidy and cheeky cnut.

Mid-late teens: The fun starts. Going to school hungover was a regular occurance. Started seeing a guy when I was 16 and he was 20, was always in the pub with him and I would go missing for days. The amount of times my neighbours would have caught a glimpse of my short-skirted arse sneaking out of the back of the house.. I thought out-smarting my parents was hilarous, becauase they were far to strict with me. I was thrown out of the house eventually.

I was selfish and reckless I know that now. It doesn't mean I've changed though.. :cool:

• Advertisement

Is that why you are a registered offender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I guess it's linked, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Bet no other Irish teenager got barred from their local church :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i'm told i was a hellish bitch. :o

i just wanted to get pissed/stoned and do my own thing, rarely went to school in the end.

then i left school and became a whole other nightmare...

i'm an angel now :)

Nolanger wrote: »

I might not have been barred but i definitely was not welcome which was fine because I hated church anyway. I wasn't bad all the time but when I was it was really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Quite the opposite in most cases, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

no, but i know one or two emo idiots and a few of my mates are dopes, always supended, trouble with drugs, garda, vandilism etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was a good lad, my other two brothers done enough to keep my parents on edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was too lazy to make the effort to be a pain in the arse...

I wouldnt give a ha'penny for little know-it-all bollixs who grow up to be bigger know-it-all bollixs. So I guess we're even.

Are your parents aware that you're swearing for all the world to see on a public message-board?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm a cunt; the same things that people hate me for, some love me for.

Meh.. I'm happy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I had a crazy time in my teen years , even worse that Liah's :pac:.

From the age of 14 I was self reliant , did all kinds of crap , all illegal. Hung around with a group of lads older than me that no one crossed so I was always protected.

Was good to my Mom and siblings but everyone else was fair game . Left home at 17 after attempting to kill my Dad .

All in all It was a learning curve about people and society and no one got seriously hurt or killed and it has all helped to make me the well rounded law abiding , professional citizen I am today. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Kasabian wrote: »
    I had a crazy time in my teen years , even worse that Liah's :pac:.

From the age of 14 I was self reliant , did all kinds of crap , all illegal. Hung around with a group of lads older than me that no one crossed so I was always protected.

Was good to my Mom and siblings but everyone else was fair game . Left home at 17 after attempting to kill my Dad .

All in all It was a learning curve about people and society and no one got seriously hurt or killed and it has all helped to make me the well rounded law abiding , professional citizen I am today. :D

you win :eek:

*backs out of thread slowly, careful not to look kasabian in the eyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Left home at 17 after attempting to kill my Dad .

:eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

you win :eek:

*backs out of thread slowly, careful not to look kasabian in the eyes*

It's along story we are friends now , sort of.

Sad but true , I am thinking of writing a book about my life but might wait till my Mom has passed on , she doesn't need the grief.

Thats all I will say on the matter , don't want to lose out on potential book sales. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My teenage years so far have been completely uneventful. I'm very boring you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I was the perfect teenager in every way its the parents that troubled me with all the chores and constant nagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I was invisible or nearly so as a teen.

I never bothered my hole doing anything good, bad or indifferent. I'm not in the least stupid, but for instance if I was asked something by a teacher in school, 9 times out of 10 I'd say I didnt know the answer. I knew damn well but I just couldnt be ****ing arsed answering.

Parents used to go to parent-teacher meetings and the teacher would start off like "well he does his work and all that", now I'm not telling this well, but at some point the old man asked him what I looked like, and teacher sheepishly replies he didnt know. I was in 5th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I was good enough in my early teens-went a bit rebellious in my very late teens but by then my mam couldn't do much about it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I was shipped off to school abroad by my parents because of my 'behaviour' when I was 16. Apparently anywhere that didn't involve an ocean between us wasn't far enough :o I don't remember too much about it....soooo long ago now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

My parish priest threatened to excommunicate me when I was 11 after using the Holy water from the font outside the church as a form of hair product and then when he told me to stop I thought I was all man replying "piss of ya dirty peado". Think I win.

From 14-17 I was your typical sham teen, thinking I was harder than I actually was and I was hanging around with some absolute dirtballs from Darndale. One of them's now in Mountjoy for dealing and another has a suspended sentence for Joyriding. Another one of them nearly killed themselves a year ago after flipping a car he robbed at a pretty fast pace.

Big mistake, got me in trouble with the Gards as well for hanging around with them. Don't know what I was thinking acting like an absolute bollox back then, caused a fair few people grief which I shouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Left home at 17 after attempting to kill my Dad .

That's a thread in itself :pac:. Good to see you are friends now, I had a few fights with my Dad, nothing major though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I think I was a good kid. No major problems except for the usual coming home drunk and that year I went out with a local drug dealer. But to be fair all that important is you get out the other side after learning some lessons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Huh. Drug dealing. Attempted Murders. Holy water.

I like The Beatles.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

nah 13 to 16 was **** 16 to 18 was great i left school and became a beach bum... lived in some **** holes. But surfed lots... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was mediocre at everything - including rebelliousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I had a phase.... drinking, staying out all night, being a little hungover in double home economics monday morning in leaving cert, climbing in/out windows to sneak out or back in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

You know some kids do have a lot to deal with.

alcoholic parents, drugs, abuse of all kinds.

I know I had stuff to deal with but I plastered a fake smile on and nearly burst myself to be a "good kid". Personally I wish i'd had the balls to be a troubled teen, let out my emotion out, let my voice be heard, inside of internalise my problems only to pay for it later.

Hats off to you former troubled teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Yeah I definately had the angsty bit never did the whole rebellion thing. I found teenage years very tough to be honest :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement