Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you a troubled teen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'd say I was a nightmare to deal with. My parents were really strict and so I spent most of my time doing the opposite of what they told me. Looking back now, they were always right and I feel bad for how I treated them.

I constantly lied to them about where I was, what I was doing, that kinda thing. Ignored their phone calls, had my goth phase - they loved that. Yeah, I was troublesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Had stuff too deal with when I was younger, but I was told wise words once!

''Take responsiblity''

Since then I changed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I was a lilfecker form the age of 12 up to about 18 or 19 then calmed down and saw the light.

Always in trouble with neighbours, school, da odd time the gards.

Was fond of drink, drugs and dabbled in selling too had my reasons for rebelling, but those days are long gone im a model citizen now work hard a and try my best to be a good person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I was a nightmare teenager for my parents.

Always had different girls back to the house (was caught on the job twice by my mam), was arrested 6/7 times, sold & did all types of drugs, had a homebrew factory in the attic which exploded one day & leaked through all the ceilings, got suspended from school every second week, went off on benders & dissapeared for days/ weeks at a time, took my dad's car one day without telling him, then crashed & totalled it (in my defence, I didn't know how to drive), broke my brother's arm in 2 places with a hurl, almost got jailed by the fraud squad & used my bedroom as a band rehearsal space for over 2 years.

I'd a blast though & don't regret a thing. By the time I was in my 20's, I'd blown off all the steam & aggression and turned into a much more mellow & rounded individual.

I'm almost afraid to have kids in case they turn out like I did & my missus was a bit of a wild lass in her day too, so the crazy genes will not be diluted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I was a nightmare teenager for my parents.

Always had different girls back to the house (was caught on the job twice by my mam), was arrested 6/7 times, sold & did all types of drugs, had a homebrew factory in the attic which exploded one day & leaked through all the ceilings, got suspended from school every second week, went off on benders & dissapeared for days/ weeks at a time, took my dad's car one day without telling him, then crashed & totalled it (in my defence, I didn't know how to drive), broke my brother's arm in 2 places with a hurl, almost got jailed by the fraud squad & used my bedroom as a band rehearsal space for over 2 years.

I'd a blast though & don't regret a thing. By the time I was in my 20's, I'd blown off all the steam & aggression and turned into a much more mellow & rounded individual.

I'm almost afraid to have kids in case they turn out like I did & my missus was a bit of a wild lass in her day too, so the crazy genes will not be diluted!!

i'd say you were mighty craic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I can relate to a lot of the posts here but if I was to use two movies to describe my teenage years the early part would be like 'Rebel without a cause ' , all angst , confusion and clustaphobia .:mad:

The later part would like' Easy Rider ' running around wasted like a headless chicken .:pac:

Then I got sense and became all serious like :cool:

Damm growing up :(

* walks off sulking kicking an empty coke can *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Agricola wrote: »

LOLOLOLOL *clicks thanks button furiously*

As I recall from a previous post a while back, the particular poster you are mocking with the tiny violin(LOL google images!) spent a few years living rough and begging to get by or something to that effect.

Only thing worse than a smart arse is an ill-informed presumptuous one.

@OP

Sure all people grow up in middle class families, with both parents, who are both well rounded supporting people, anyone who doesn't have a smile on their precious little face, must be an emo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

LOLOLOLOL *clicks thanks button furiously*

As I recall from a previous post a while back, the particular poster you are mocking with the tiny violin(LOL google images!) spent a few years living rough and begging to get by or something to that effect.

Only thing worse than a smart arse is an ill-informed presumptuous one.

@OP

Sure all people grow up in middle class families, with both parents, who are both well rounded supporting people, anyone who doesn't have a smile on their precious little face, must be an emo!

Ok first of all, you need to get over yourself. If you want to get offended, get offended when someone mocks YOU, not some other randomer. There are few things worse in this life than people who like to be offended on behalf of others, especially for such trivial things as this.

Secondly, maybe what you say is true. Maybe the poster had a real shít life altogether and posting that pic maybe wasnt in the best taste. Ok so, we can move on i think. No one died.

Thirdly, you didnt get round to thanking me for that violin post yet. No hurry now, not rushin ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I was a little b0ll0x but to be fair my parents were strict and religious and it took a few years of obnoxious rebellion for me to break them.

My Mam wanted me to dress pretty and be a Secretary which repulsed and outraged me beyond belief seeing as I was a tomboy into Hard rock!

I refused to go to typing school or wear dresses.

I left at 17 taking my cannibas plant in a plastic bag with me. I had to come back after 4 days when I ran outta mates!

Cringe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Truley wrote: »
    Yeah I definately had the angsty bit never did the whole rebellion thing. I found teenage years very tough to be honest :(

I had the angst without the rebellion too. I wasn't very nice to my parents in my early teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I was quite moody and withdrawn. I've always had low self esteem and was cripplingly shy up until I was about 16. I never got into trouble or anything though. I didn't cause my parents any hassle but, I think they were just worried that I was depressed all the time. I didn't really have any "rebellion" phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was pretty hormonal but behaved myself pretty well til I hit 18...then had a bit a rebellion for a year or so. After that I was grand.

Sure most people I know would never wish to be 14 again,that alone should show how un-fun it was 1st time around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

You just reminded me of a girl from my school. In the sixth form, we didn't have to wear uniforms and she always came wearing a man's suit with a bow tie. One side of her head was permanently shaved, while the other side had really long hair past her shoulder. She never seemed to speak to anyone. I always wondered what was going on there but didn't dare talk to her, she didn't seem very friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Troubled teen? Not me. I wasn't interested in the things that other teenagers liked. They liked rock, I liked jazz and classical. They watched Top Gun and Indiana Jones, I watched Rainbow Brite and the Care Bears. They watched spitting Image and Blackadder, I listened to BBC Radio 2 and Radio 3. I had my too many of my own interests to bother with teenage angst.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I'm a troubled 30-something year old, never mind teen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

I only came into concious awareness in my twenties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

I wasn't very rebellious (well, I had my odd naggin and scared my mum by having boyfriends...) but I was very angsty. I still cringe when I remember shouting after moving country and leaving my 1st real BF, "You don't know what it's really like to be in love!" At my mum and stepdad. I managed to offend their relationship while making it all about me. What a gift, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You just reminded me of a girl from my school. In the sixth form, we didn't have to wear uniforms and she always came wearing a man's suit with a bow tie. One side of her head was permanently shaved, while the other side had really long hair past her shoulder. She never seemed to speak to anyone. I always wondered what was going on there but didn't dare talk to her, she didn't seem very friendly.

I'm retrospectively in love with this girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Sure im still a "troubled teen". lol cant you tell from my headphones and eyeliner :D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I was too shy to be a rebel. I hate when people are angry at me so I just tried to never piss anybody off. Plus I grew up faster than most and could see past all the fake people wanting to be cool.

I'm still a bit shy nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

ah yeah
    las time i tried putting this one up i failed miserably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I could have been a helluva lot worse... I did drinking to excess, I gambled/played poker illegally, but apart from that, I was ok. I never bothered with drugs (much) and I was never as stroppy as I could have been. So I wasn't troubled anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Yes, but I was a victim of circumstance (aren't we all I hear you say..)

Drink, drugs, sex, gamblin, tattoos, piercings, cops, punk, techno, general nihilistic behaviour, perfectly normal I would say really :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I was a brat, put the parents through a terrible time..

Moved out at 16...

I had issues and found it very hard to deal with them and to express my feelings in a mature way.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

i went through a screechy phase!:D
    but now im at the stage where i feel like the parent and they are the children!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My teenage years were grand. Had a few close friends at school, didn't get picked on, got decent(ish) marks in the leaving cert, went to college, got a part-time job, didn't drink until I was 18, didn't have a boyfriend until I was 20.*
    I was never very angst ridden at all. I feel so uncool.

*Last one may be connected to the fact that I had** bad skin, thick frizzy hair and very thick glasses.

**Had. Not have. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

10-15: Naive, somewhat normal. Listened to Aqua and all other manner of crass Europop. Long live The Vengaboys! :rolleyes: Started dying my hair red at 15 until Herbal Essence took the colour off the market. I was a sad panda.

14-17: Went through a bunch of family-related crap. Pubery kicked up a notch- many, many, many hormonally fueled rants and clashes with my folks. Got heavily into Linkin Park, Nine Inch Nails, Manson, Evanescene, black hair dye and nail polish. Classed myself as a Goth because I also listened to The Cure and Cradle of Filth.

17-18: Puberty subsided, as did 60% of stupid-emo-kid syndrome. Grew out of the goth/emo music to a certain extent but still occasionally dabbled. Got introduced to classic rock and 80s hair bands. Started wearing colours other than black and became a touch more optimistic. Chopped all my hair off in one last act of rebellion, though. I miss you, shaven nape! Most extreme hair cut I ever had! More personal **** happened towards the end of the year.

18-19: Had a nervous breakdown. Diagnosed as bipolor with low-grade sociopathy. Became a virtual zombie for a whole year, nearly catatonic. Found refuge in heavy metal. Eventually pulled myself out of the mire and became jaded with life. Ended up suffering deep depression for most of the year.

19-21: Rediscovered a love of plaid shirts. (Grunge/ Dukes of Hazzard style, not butch lesbian lumberjack) Listening to stoner rock without actually getting stoned. Started operating at around 75% optimism, feeling more like myself again. Had brief relapse on account of relationship crap but bounced back fairly quickly. Had to suffer a horrfying Vulcan-style pudding bowl haircut for most of it, though. Purdy cuts do not suit me.

22-Current: More or less on an even kneal, coping with mental state to best of abilities. Growing out my hair and taking sadistic glee in nuking it seven ways from Sunday. More opinionated, less of a human doormat. Became fluent in sarcasm and snark. Got back into gaming after years out of the loop. (Last console was a Nintendo 64. I'm so retro!)

EDIT: Relevent to thread:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

When I feel sad I cut myself. . .

some chocolate cake!!! :)

I'll get my coat . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Sometimes, when I'm all alone, I like to touch sharp things...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, just mediocre at everything due to laziness, including rebellion.
    I had a bit of a moody teen thing going on at times, but nothing problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I went through a brief shoplifting phase, but besides that I was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Random thread to reserect.

How in ever, yup - quite 'troubled'!
    I was probably what is now called emo, but didn't have a name then.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I would have been bad but they did'nt do tolerance back then like they do now.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

menchi wrote: »
    Yep! I am a troubled teen and started drinking as a young teen and like it a lot. It affected my decision making and I made some pretty bad choices, dropping out of college, running around with some bad people, sent to teen camps, being homeless, not having any stability in my life.
    That would have been nipped in the bud years ago back in the days befoe tv took over and parents abdicated responsibility.Repeated Warnings first of course and followed by a really good hiding worked wonders back then.Saved many lives too.Our cemetries have many young people in them who ignored warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

I was a nightmare, I only realise now that I have teens what I put my parents through. I put myself in dangerous situations constantly. We used to hang out in this derelict house, my friends would go home and id just stay there, sleep away, I just had no fear of anything. A fella set the place on fire one morning not knowing anybody was in there, I **** myself now at the thought of the situations I put myself in. I think I was suicidal but didn't have the courage to kill myself. Sorry a bit deep but you asked lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Once I hit 18 I went bat **** crazy..My teen years were crap and boring and to be honest all I ever got from people around me was negativity.

I had depression pretty much from 18 to as far back as I can remember before that, and once I was diagnosed my parent's were really troubled by it. They were convinced I was a "problem child", so my therapist sent them to some group meetings for parent's of troubled teens.

After two meetings of hearing about other parents' problems, they realised I was actually a really good kid. They had to deal with a kid that was depressed - the other parents had to deal with kids that liked setting things on fire and threatened to kill them in their sleep.

Of course I got into the regular teenager trouble; boyfriends, sex, drinking, disappearing for a few days here and there, not going to school. But with the exception of one Christmas when I drank a litre of vodka and threw up everywhere, I kept any trouble away from the house. So I got into a normal amount of trouble but I didn't really cause any trouble for anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

troubled maybe but not in the sense of being a complete pain in the arse, lazy layabout type or rebellious going out drinking, getting into trouble etc. That is very pseudo-troubled imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

--LOS-- wrote: »
    troubled maybe but not in the sense of being a complete pain in the arse, lazy layabout type or rebellious going out drinking, getting into trouble etc. That is very pseudo-troubled imo.

Well I was very much genuinely 'troubled', but I didn't go to school, and I was generally rebellious and full of angst.

I have no idea what you are talking about tbh, because if you look at any 'troubled areas' or 'troubled individuals', for the most part, they will exhibit a myriad of behaviours which would be described as anti-social or destructive (either to themselves or to others).

The so called pseudo-troubled person you describe is actually very typically presented in genuinely troubled cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Guess it depends on whether it's just self indulgent attention seeking teen shyte or actually the result of underlying mental/emotional problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Yes, I was bulimic and depressive. Not a happy bunny at all. But I had a fairly turbulent childhood and adolescence which obviously affected me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Eh well i was bullied and had manic depression in my early teens so i would basically take it out verbally on my parents which was retarded. I'm now an old man of 21 and have a great relationship with my folks thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I suppose I was, but I blame my parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yes, very. People seem to think teens just go like that whatever that is. But it's not the case and yes the parents are to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

wannabe nacker phaze, was hardcore for a summer but then just thought i was a nacker but i was sound but didnt care for school but overall was alright, kinda still have signs of nacker days(haircuts, clothes i wear, words i use) but more the real me nowdays like i dont lie where im from.

where im from about 15 people went through nacker phazes, i was the first to become one but was light in comparison to some of the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

I was mad sound. Still am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Not troubled, no. More of a weird shut-in I suppose - too many books* and not many people to talk to. So I didn't do any of the usual teenagery stuff, which in retrospect I regret. It definitely shaped my personality - most people I know seem to think I'm either distant or very Sheldon Cooper-like.

*Not porn. Honest-to-goodness books.

EDIT: I knew I forgot something. I'm a middle child, so middle child syndrome (i.e. being ignored) may have had something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

In terms of giving my parents trouble I was an angel... Never a problem in school, always did well, blah blah blah. But I was always withdrawn, shy and quiet, just wasnt a very happy teen. Baby of my family so I think family ****e got to me alot. Almost 21 now though and Im trying to be more social and just stop stressing in general =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

PeefsPixie wrote: »
    In terms of giving my parents trouble I was an angel... Never a problem in school, always did well, blah blah blah. But I was always withdrawn, shy and quiet, just wasnt a very happy teen. Baby of my family so I think family ****e got to me alot. Almost 21 now though and Im trying to be more social and just stop stressing in general =)

Same as. Didn't give anyone grief, but that was was because I was fairly withdrawn as a teen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement