Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this red stemed plant?

Options
  • 31-05-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty clueless :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I have to say it looks like a weed, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

bmaxi wrote: »
    I have to say it looks like a weed, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Definitely a weed though? They're sprouting up all over the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭hoochio

Looks like the weed "Purple Loosestrife" aka Lythrum salicaria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Definitely a weed though? They're sprouting up all over the garden.
    I think you've answered your own question. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

looks like willow herb to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

rose bay willow herb get it out now while there is still time ! goes everywhere terible thing :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its a horrible, horrible weed

get rid of it immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We'd call that redshank... typically in recently tilled ground. New lawns or reseeded fields... Once it is cut down it won't come back..

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=18

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

bbam wrote: »
    We'd call that redshank... typically in recently tilled ground. New lawns or reseeded fields... Once it is cut down it won't come back..

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=18

sorry, i have disagree with you on that, i am battling with this weed for the last 3 years. it is impossible get rid of - it is the bane of my life. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Originally Posted by bbam viewpost.gif

Oh yes it will/might! Have this in my garden every year despite cutting, spraying etc. Depends what ground was used for before your house was built or what is in the neighbouring properties. If the seed is dormant in the ground it'll keep coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Originally Posted by bbam viewpost.gif

Oh yes it will/might! Have this in my garden every year despite cutting, spraying etc. Depends what ground was used for before your house was built or what is in the neighbouring properties. If the seed is dormant in the ground it'll keep coming.

Maybe its not redshank then...
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

My 'douze points' goes to mountainy man/dardevle.
    Its Epilobium angustifolium AKA Rosebay Willowherb, look at the alternate leaf structure. Quite prolific but easy to pull up ( lots in my garden ).

This and this are very familiar to me.

Advertisement