Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Camcorder

Options
  • 31-05-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was looking for a small sized pocket camcorder to record our little boy who is 6 months old :-)
    I'm looking for something that is very easy to put on my computer and will give reasonable quality. And most of all reasonably priced. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi,
    I was looking for a small sized pocket camcorder to record our little boy who is 6 months old :-)
    I'm looking for something that is very easy to put on my computer and will give reasonable quality. And most of all reasonably priced. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Budget is circa 300 bucks. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Budget is circa 300 bucks. Any tips?

Ok ended up doing a good bit of research into this. So I am going to post my findings here just in case anyone is interested.

The big decision is really whether to go for SD or HD.
    SD:
    1. Much cheaper
    2. Takes up less memory. Less CPU intensive.
    3. Established standard.

HD
    1. Much more expensive
    2. Better picture quality.
    3. Future proof. Everything will eventually be future HD.

Winner for me: SD.

I picked three cameras around the 200 - 300 price range.
    1. Canon FS200 Camcorder - Blue
    2. Panasonic SDR-H85 Camcorder With 80GB HDD
    3. JVC GZ-MG630S Hybrid Camcorder With microSD Slot & 60GB Hard Disc Drive.

The JVC and Panasonic both hard hard disks and optical image stabilisation. The Canon didn't have either of these features. I don't think the Hard Disk is much of an advantage because SD cards store loads now and are cheap. The Canon uses electronic image stabilisation which some people may not prefer but I checked it on youtube and thought it was ok.

The Canon had a better battery. Had a mic and headphone socket. For me it just seemed the better camera but there wasn't much in it. What won the deal was the fact that Argos were selling them for 216 euro which to me was just a brilliant price.

Enjoy.

Advertisement