Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Waterford/Dublin train timetable

• 31-05-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Nice to see IR actually doing something decent for a change. The changes include...
    • A new 13:20 from Dublin with only stops in Carlow and Kilkenny, getting into Waterford at 15:35 (this one was the most needed tbh, before you used to just be either 11am or 3pm)
    • A new 16:50 from Waterford, getting into Dublin at 19:35
    • The 17:35 from Dublin-Carlow has now been extended to Waterford and gets in at 8pm.
    You can see the new timetable here

Now guys, how about that free wifi? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

There is free wifi? Like on the train?

Decent times tbh but I still think with the new road open in full cone September that they will struggle considering it's an easy drive to newlands cross and Luas it into Dublin.

How much is a return these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

was 27e last time i used it but booked online with laser,normally its 33e i think.not as bad as dublin to cawrk think a return is 65e or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

ziedth wrote: »
    There is free wifi? Like on the train?

Decent times tbh but I still think with the new road open in full cone September that they will struggle considering it's an easy drive to newlands cross and Luas it into Dublin.

How much is a return these days?

An adult return is €34.50, student is €25.50.

IR are starting to roll out trial WiFi for customers on the Cork-Dublin services afaik. It's extremely needed as well, most if not all national rail services around Europe offer some sort of wifi coverage, and even the buses around Ireland these days are starting to equip them.

You're right about the new road though, all the more reason why extra incentives like WiFi is the least IR can offer if they're serious about keeping their passengers high. Back in the days when it'd take over 3 hours to drive to Dublin, doing it in 2hrs 30mins on the train was a far more appealing option. But if we can really expect to motorway it all the way to the capital in 100 minutes by the end of the year that could really set IR back big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Have used IR service to Dublin alot over the last two years and the best addition to the timetable is the direct service with only stop in Carlow at 7.10am. Up in just under two hours and get the Luas straight outside. As Daysha said 17.35 and 13.20 trains are much needed as if you miss the 4.25 you have alot of waiting around to do which happened to me once or twice. No WIFI enabled on the trains but is essential in order for them to become competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

anplaya wrote: »
    was 27e last time i used it but booked online with laser,normally its 33e i think.not as bad as dublin to cawrk think a return is 65e or something like that

They cut you a sweet deal in you book far enough in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm surprised there's not later trains. I was going to use them a few weeks ago, but the last train back was far too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You would wonder why they don't test the waters with like a piss head train from Kilkenny to Waterford and back on a Friday and sat night.

Might open up a whole new Market for them and would be deadly for a change for joe public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

ziedth wrote: »
    You would wonder why they don't test the waters with like a piss head train from Kilkenny to Waterford and back on a Friday and sat night.

Might open up a whole new Market for them and would be deadly for a change for joe public.

Wouldn't work it would be a disaster they would have to put loads of security on it like they used to have a security guard on the old train going up on Sundays after the hen and stag nights imagine 2 or 3 carriages with lads full of bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Last few times I got the train, it was €10 euro each way, selecting times and seats online. So you can often get a return journey for €20 if you commit yourself to the times, rather than getting a monthly return. That is great value for money. You'd want to be mad to get the bus at that rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Daysha wrote: »
    Nice to see IR actually doing something decent for a change. The changes include...
    • A new 13:20 from Dublin with only stops in Carlow and Kilkenny, getting into Waterford at 15:35 (this one was the most needed tbh, before you used to just be either 11am or 3pm)
    • A new 16:50 from Waterford, getting into Dublin at 19:35
    • The 17:35 from Dublin-Carlow has now been extended to Waterford and gets in at 8pm.
    You can see the new timetable here

Now guys, how about that free wifi? :)

How about some trains between Waterford & Limerick Junction and between Waterford / Wexford run at convenient times that people would actually use and not close down these lines.

Still no connection with any train from Dublin for the 17.20 from Waterford to Rosslare.

Pretty cynical stuff from IE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement