Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mic, guitar into amp through looper?

• 31-05-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

Another question... sorry!

Is it possible to run a guitar and mic into a looper pedal and output from there into a guitar amp.

I want to record some loops with tambourine/maracas etc. and then start playing guitar over them. Would an a/b/y switcher do the trick, or do i need a mixer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I've seen this done by a girl on YouTube. She was really good. I'm not sure if she used more than one looper pedal or as you mentioned a switcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Some amps have Aux In. Keep in mind speakers tend to be pretty limited range.

I can use my Korg PX4D to do this, one of the cooler features, it can even slow stuff down and change the tuning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Your best (read: easiest) bet is to just use a guitar jack sized one of these http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/77831_clipped-aea1446feb2de1cef41e214f691184fe.jpg and an XLR > Jack lead out of the mic. A compressor would help too so that the volume from the mic and the guitar would be relatively similar.

So it would be something like

Guitar > effects >

Mic (with the XLR-Jack lead)>

Those two leading into the two ends of the jack splitter then the single output going into a compressor then into the loop pedal and out the amp...If you get what I mean. Is that what your looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

The Boss RC-50 has and input for both mic (XLR) and jack
    and would save you a lot of messing around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

reniwren wrote: »
    The Boss RC-50 has and input for both mic (XLR) and jack
    and would save you a lot of messing around

It wouldn't save that much messing around, and it'd be a lot more expensive. Do you think using a Y cable or an A/B switch is 'a lot of messing around'? So messy that it warrants spending €419?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I tried a y cable... didn't work, only one input worked at a time.

Found this article though, after seeing KT Tunstall on youtube http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/kt-tunstall/jun-06/21172

Seems like a mixer is all I need, so I ordered one from ebay for €25, hopefully it does the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

I would consider it messing around if you were going to do it live alot that Boss pedal is just an all in one solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

How I do this on my acoustic amp is. Plug guitar and mic into amp as standard (Roland AC60). Then from the back of the amp I run a wire from the Line Out to the input on my looper then a wire from the output of the looper to the line in/aux in of the amp. That way anything played through the amp gets fed into the looper and the output from the looper comes through the amp along with your normal guitar output. Its a handy way to do it if you dont have a mixer but have the right connections on your amp

Advertisement