Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Men's Health Week (June 14-20, 2010)

• 31-05-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Given that Men's Health is part of the remit of tGC, I thought I'd highlight this.

I don't know if many people have ideas of things people could do. One idea is to change your .sig on b.ie to mention or link to something relating to Men's Health around the time of the week.
    http://www.mhfi.org/mhw.htm

Men's Health Week (MHW) always begins on the Monday before Father's Day and ends on Father's Day itself. This year it will run from Monday 14th June until Sunday 20th June 2010.

It is celebrated in most European countries, as well as a number of other places. The overall aims of MHW are to:

Heighten awareness of preventable health problems for males of all ages.
    Support men and boys to engage in healthier lifestyle choices / activities.
    Encourage the early detection and treatment of health difficulties in males.
    Each year, there is also a focus upon a specific theme. The theme for this year will be Men and Physical Activity. The Men's Health Forum in Ireland is calling upon all men and boys on our island to answer the challenge to: "Get Up. Get Out. Get Going!"

For more information on MHW 2010, please click here http://www.mhfi.org/mhw2010.htm .

One of the biggest risks to men’s health is their reluctance to seek help at times of difficulty or to take part in health improvement programmes. This is often because these services and programmes are not delivered in ways that take account of men’s particular needs.

MHW gives everyone (health professionals, service providers, sporting bodies, community groups, employers, policy makers, the media, individuals ...) an opportunity to encourage men and boys to take better care of their health and to seek help or treatment at an early stage.

The Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) coordinates activity on the island of Ireland and cooperates with other Men's Health Fora across Europe, and further afield, to mark this week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

anyone got any ideas on somethng we could do as a forum for the week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yeah. Not post and get plenty of fresh air and exercise? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Didnt Mens Health have a quizy thing once.

That would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

we could asighn a poster to other forums to spread the word of men health and bassically spam all of boards with , mens health stuff.

I often see announcements accross the top of boards for competitions and the like

maybe Dav the Community Manager would oblige

after all the Forum Was Never Announced as it had been a "Name Change" and he may think its a good idea in a better late than never way and it could generate fresh ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I would say it would depend on the demographics that use boards. Is it mainly old men, young men or teenagers? If you knew this it would give a bit more focus towards what you would want to campaign for. I think womens health campaigns are quite successful in this way. If you look at the way breast cancer is targeted, it is targeted solely. This helps to make people more aware and raise more money rather than a scatter gun approach where you campaign for general well being. So for example if you knew the largest age group was say between 30 and 50 then you could probably raise awareness about prostate cancer or whatever illness would be the most common amongst this age group. Obviously you will never be able to target all age profiles directly with this approach but it would have some benefit towards everybody in the long run. Just a thought.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

we could asighn a poster to other forums to spread the word of men health and bassically spam all of boards with , mens health stuff.
    People changing their signature can do that a bit. Dr. Galen gives one example.

CDfm wrote: »
    I often see announcements accross the top of boards for competitions and the like

maybe Dav the Community Manager would oblige

after all the Forum Was Never Announced as it had been a "Name Change" and he may think its a good idea in a better late than never way and it could generate fresh ideas

an excellent idea, I'll get onto it today.

Keep any ideas coming people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

kangaroo wrote: »
    People changing their signature can do that a bit. Dr. Galen gives one example.

how do you but a link in with out having http, so say if you say link "here" and you click it, brings you striaght to you tube or some sort of website.. ?

i'm not sure what your asking snowy, drop me a PM and I'll sort ya. Its probably because you've too much pron on the PC nowadays.....

here's a link to the image I'm using in my sig for anyone interested

http://yfrog.com/5cmhwlogoj

• Advertisement

http://www.mhfi.org/emalematters.htm
    "E-Male Matters" is the free monthly electronic newsletter of the Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). It is widely distributed by email at the beginning of each month.

The purpose of this document is to provide an update on research, events, training, resources and news in the field of work with men and boys. Anyone can propose an article for inclusion by sending it to emalematters@mhfi.org

There is a simple template for all articles. Please let us know (within 150 words) all the main details, for example ...

Title
    Date
    Time
    Venue
    Short description
    Contact details for further information (name, telephone and/or email address)
    Web link (if available) for fuller details

However, to keep the file size small, we cannot, unfortunately, include photographs or other images.
    To view past editions of this newsletter, please click on the links below ....

Skimming down it, the June edition (http://www.mhfi.org/emale6.doc) has various news on events for the week (quite a lot of the events are in Northern Ireland) as well as other stuff.

(Rubbish - Just seeing if the sig will appear)

Smoking and lack of excercise - mea culpa

anyway - i googled the Top 10 male illnesses and came up with this Mayo Clinic link -with links off it to specific conditions

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mens-health/mc00013

So maybe we should do an irish top 10

Dr Galen wrote: »

that is soo cool and funny - now the Seoiges are on leave maybe they could do a remake for rte :p

The Mayo Clinic puts Suicide in one of the Top 10 causes of death in men

A recent Irish study reported in the Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0607/1224272004743.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hope that you do not mind a woman supporting this - will change my sig after I post this - have my son, husband, father, brother, uncles, male friends (you get the picture) to think about.

out of interest CM how is the little fella getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Dr Galen wrote: »
    out of interest CM how is the little fella getting on?
    Baby Shane is 8lb 12.5 oz now, 10 weeks 2 days old and bright as a button - having great fun playing with him. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭racso1975

As somebody who just decided to lurk in here i have to say i am really surprised and disgusted at how little coverage this is getting in any media outlet

• Advertisement

Update from Men's Health Forum in Ireland:
    Dear Colleague,

Men's Health Week (MHW) 2010 is now well under way, and will last until Sunday 20th June 2010. But, remember, it's not over yet - there's still time to either organise something yourself or to join in with someone else's programme! Please visit www.mhfi.org/mhw2010.htm for all the latest news.

During this week, MHFI has been calling upon local males to “Get Up. Get Out. Get Going”, and to kick start a new pattern of looking after themselves. To help men along, the Forum has just launched a 12 week fitness training programme for men. The programme will slowly, easily and realistically build-up the trainee's level of fitness to the point where - if they wish - they will be capable of entering a 5km (or even a 10km) run.
    Week 1 of this programme is now available on our website at
    www.mhfi.org/training.htm Each week, MHFI will offer a new installment of
    the training schedule. In this way, it will gradually be revealed over the
    12 week period. Therefore, you only focus upon what you need to do now, and you do this in bite-sized chunks!

If you've been looking for a practical way to engage with men, why don't you think about getting a group together to undertake the training? Better still, take part and keep a blog / video diary that can be shared with others on our website! So, that participants have something to work towards, MHFI has organised an event on Saturday 4th September 2010 in the grounds of Ardgillan Castle near Skerries in Co. Dublin. This will give everyone the opportunity to test their progress in either a 5km or 10km event - which will also include competitive runners.

Can I also remind you that the next edition of our E-Male Matters newsletter will be released in July 2010. Do you know of anything (research, events, resources, news etc.) affecting men and boys which should be included in it?
    There is a simple template for all articles. Let us know (within 150 words) all the crucial details e.g. title, date, time, venue, short description, contact details for further information (name, telephone and/or email address), and web link (if available) for a fuller explanation. To keep the file size of this electronic newsletter small, we cannot, unfortunately, accept photographs or images. Please email your information to:
    emalematters@mhfi.org The submission deadline for the July 2010 edition is
    Monday 28th June 2010.

Best wishes,

Colin Fowler
    [on behalf of the Men's Health Forum in Ireland]

racso1975 wrote: »
    As somebody who just decided to lurk in here i have to say i am really surprised and disgusted at how little coverage this is getting in any media outlet

Thats because its a Hallmark event

Advertisement