Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Attended gig

Options
  • 31-05-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭

What was the worst attended gig (how many people showed up) you were ever at that had an international band headlining

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Not a big name act but i remember going to see My Little Funhouse at the Tivoli in December '92 iirc and there must've been only 50 people at it!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I saw Garbage at the kings Hall in Belfast some years ago and there must have been no more than 200 at it. In a venue that holds many thousands it was so embarassing. Free tickets were being being given away in QUB early that day and that's the only reason why we went. The place was so empty you could hear evey heckle, of which there were many. Yer woman Manson the singer was getting bitchy at people chucking stuff and threaned to pull the plug on the gig. The kids kept shouting '**** off you Scottish bitch' until they left the stage. I think most teh audience had already left at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I went to see Kerbdog at The Village just after they released their second album. There were only 5 people there. They still played...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Mate of mine went to see Alice Cooper in the Point a few years back, when rock/metal was in a lull. He said there was hardly anyone there, no more that a couple of hundred. Alice still played, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Strapping young lad at the ambassador, 2003 maybe. No more than 100 or so there. You could walk from the sound desk to the barrier and not bump into anyone. Great gig though, brought gene hoglan to fibbers after and got him drunk, super nice guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I went to see Kerbdog at The Village just after they released their second album. There were only 5 people there. They still played...

So that's you, me, and 3 others...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I mentioned this in the worst gigs thread but Saxon at McGonagles in 1991 was attended by 52 people. The drummer threw his sticks out at the end & missed the crowd ;)

Actually they played a decent gig, but it looked pretty bad, even in a tiny venue like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Strapping young lad at the ambassador, 2003 maybe. No more than 100 or so there. You could walk from the sound desk to the barrier and not bump into anyone. Great gig though, brought gene hoglan to fibbers after and got him drunk, super nice guy!

That would've been awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

i went to seet he almighty in the temple bar music centre a few years ago there was me and me 4 mates,a table full of foreign chicks and one or 2 people dotted around oh and joe elliot was sharing our little table one of the 2 that was in the place....still dunno why he didint go the chicks table haha was still a good gig in all fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I was at that Alice Cooper gig at the Point in 91, I would have said there were at least 1000 at it, it just looked such a small crowd at that venue.

The Almighty/Warrior Soul in the SFX had about 100 bods at it but at least its sounds like there was more at it than the gig in TBMC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Nea wrote: »
    The Almighty/Warrior Soul in the SFX had about 100 bods at it but at least its sounds like there was more at it than the gig in TBMC

Was at that one meself - I really enjoyed it, didn't get crushed at the barrier anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Taking Back Sunday supported by Fightstar, don't know why I was there - it was in Feb 2005 I think - and there were about 100 people in the Ambassador

Gilby Clarke - The Village 2006, May - there were about 14 of us...no joke, and the staff almost outnumbered us. The Village hadn't advertised the gig properly or put any posters up. I got in touch with Gilby's manager and he was shocked when I asked him if the gig was cancelled. I phoned the venue the day before and they told me that if he turned up he could play. Gilby walked in the front door with his guitar....past the entire audience lol...and then just climbed onstage and started playing. Afterwards he came out, signed loads of material...including GNR records...and talked about stuff a lot. Class act.

I look wasted in this photo, but oh well

djs-g-shift.jpg

I worked two gigs as security for MCD, one in the Ambassador and one in the Point, and the one in the Ambassador was attended by 10 people....I counted...and was an Erasure Tribute act. I was paid to be there but the Ambassador must have lost a lot of money that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Went to a gig in The Pint my mates band were playing, few other bands there too. I was the only person there who wasn't playing that night !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i love this thread :)
    peter1892 wrote: »
    Saxon at McGonagles in 1991 was attended by 52 people. The drummer threw his sticks out at the end & missed the crowd ;)

:D
    Gilby Clarke - The Village 2006, May - there were about 14 of us...no joke, and the staff almost outnumbered us. Gilby walked in the front door with his guitar....past the entire audience lol...and then just climbed onstage and started playing. Afterwards he came out, signed loads of material...including GNR records...and talked about stuff a lot. Class act.

being in G n' R back then pretty much defines 'rockstar' does it not?! even if just filling the Izzy void still shocking attendance :o u must be a big fella Clarke is not entirely short at 5'9

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

peter1892 wrote: »
    I mentioned this in the worst gigs thread but Saxon at McGonagles in 1991 was attended by 52 people. The drummer threw his sticks out at the end & missed the crowd ;)

Actually they played a decent gig, but it looked pretty bad, even in a tiny venue like that.
    Haha thats hilarious:D, well mine is not really a Rock gig but after seeing many bands like Alice in Chains,Stone Temple Pilots,Green Day,Foos and Bush play the SFX i got dragged along one summers evening to see Public Enemy in that same venue.
    We arrived at about 8 and walked straight into an empty hall without a security guard/ticket checker in sight and decided among ourselves that it must be cancelled. We were well underage so couldnt even go for a drink so walked outside to decide what to do.
    Then the music cranked up behind us and on they came..that little squeaky guy with the clock round his neck giving it socks to about 20 people..the venue filled a little more through the evening but never got past two rows deep at the barrier and only got worse when some drunk started hurling abuse at the band between songs in a hall where you could hear a pin drop:eek:
    Truly Tragic and a night best Forgotten:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

While the gig itself wasn't bad, it was annoying that Axl Rose at GNR gig at the RDS a few years back left the stage for a 'break' after nearly every song leaving one of the band members to do a solo. One of them even did a Christina Aguilera song if my memory serves me right!

Advertisement