Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawaii Five-0 (CBS) *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now they have Chi McBride as a regular, I vote they also bring in Mark Valley and Jackie Earl Haley and get rid of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Come on! The show has always revolved around two teched and armed up idiots running around an island arresting baddies. One of the idiots is an ex Special Ops guy so it was always gong to be "AMERICA! **** YEAH!" really. Most of the time though the cheerleading is kept in check and it's a fun and very watchable show. At times though it does boil over but, hey, it's a stupid show for the kind of idiots that think Fox news represents a credible take on world affairs. I do still love the show though. It's kind of a guilty pleasure. You know you can turn your brain off completely for 40 odd minutes and be pretty entertained in a formulaic sort of way!

It was nice to see Timothy V Murphy guest star this week. Given how great the man is at portraying baddies I was expecting something special. Instead we got badass turned Mother Theresa which wasn't the best use of Tim's talents really.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

squonk wrote: »

It was nice to see Timothy V Murphy guest star this week. Given how great the man is at portraying baddies I was expecting something special. Instead we got badass turned Mother Theresa which wasn't the best use of Tim's talents really.

This is the Irish actor RTE need to bring in to to take on the Nidge!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭brian_t

RTE2 are currently showing series 4. Last Monday they showed episode 14.

Next Monday they are starting Person of Interest in that timeslot (8-9 pm).

They don't seem to be moving Hawaii Five-0 to a different time - just dropping it altogether.

• Advertisement

Sure he's barely in it anyway. Next should be Scott Caan.

Hey Cortana why is this show still be made?

Cortana; To promote and shill Microsoft products.

Thank you Cortana I thought that alright.

Cortana; You are welcome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I knew Ireland had secret nuclear reactors, knew it. (episode "For Queen and Country")

Is Kono and Steve leaving?

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if anyone else left before Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Kono and Steve leaving?

I think the fact that Number 8 is on the plane to Culver City with her having showed her dissatisfaction in the de-brief after the latest mission is a clear indication that she is moving on to something else.

Steve I think is setting up a long term exit which Alex O'Loughlin having already communicated that he would like to leave sooner or later.

Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park not returning

If they're making less than the part timer then there is something wrong. I assume Kim will be written out by that job offer he got while Kono will have left to start a family.

I think they need to wrap it up at this rate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think their story arcs are finished anyway so no harm to bring in some new characters. I can't see this being cancelled as I believe Hawaii tourism is paying massive advertising for it

It seems like this may have been known before the season finale. Not only because of Chin's offer, but I forgot that Kono left to hunt down the trafficking ring.

Maybe bring Catherine back so it's not so jarring that they've got rid of half the original cast

I don't know about this.

While it was clear that Chin Ho was about to leave (job offer and all) and with Number Eight being on the plane to hunt down the trafficking ring (so possible also leaving), we are now left with a majority white cast (of which one wants to leave soon and one is missing in a lot of episodes).

So while their story arch might have ended (which indicates how long the dispute might have gone on) for me it's bad that the main star of the show (Hawaii) is now only having local people in some minor roles.

The story lines were always stupid but it was mindless entertainment showing off Hawaii landscape and blatant advertising for their hotels etc.

So even if they bring back some of the previous main players, unless they find some locals to integrate, they as well could move this to the mainland.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It seems like this may have been known before the season finale. Not only because of Chin's offer, but I forgot that Kono left to hunt down the trafficking ring.

Maybe bring Catherine back so it's not so jarring that they've got rid of half the original cast

Yes,I would love to see Michelle Borth back in it!

So even if they bring back some of the previous main players, unless they find some locals to integrate, they as well could move this to the mainland.

So not more Dog the Bounty Hunter then? :)

So not more Dog the Bounty Hunter then? :)

He was born in Denver, Colorado.

• Advertisement

Daniel Dae Kim comments on it.
    “By now many of you have heard the news, and I’m sad to say it is true. I will not be returning to Hawaii Five-0 when production starts next week,” he wrote Tuesday. “Though I made myself available to come back, CBS and I weren’t able to agree to terms on a new contract, so I made the difficult choice not to continue.”

In the post, Kim also addressed diversity problems in Hollywood, particularly for Asian American actors.

“As an Asian American actor, I know first-hand how difficult it is to find opportunities at all, let alone play a well developed, three dimensional character like Chin Ho. I will miss him sincerely,” he wrote. “What made him even more special is that he was a representative of a place my family and I so dearly love. It has been nothing short of an honor to be able to showcase the beauty and people of Hawaii every week, and I couldn’t be prouder to call these islands home. To my local community, mahalo nui loa.”

CBS comments on it
    “Daniel and Grace have been important and valued members of Hawaii Five-0 for seven seasons,” CBS said in a statement. “We did not want to lose them and tried very hard to keep them with offers for large and significant salary increases. While we could not reach an agreement, we part ways with tremendous respect for their talents on screen, as well as their roles as ambassadors for the show off screen, and with hopes to work with them again in the near future.”

http://deadline.com/2017/07/daniel-dae-kim-reason-leaving-hawaii-five-o-salary-parity-grace-park-1202123989/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

If they're making less than the part timer then there is something wrong. I assume Kim will be written out by that job offer he got while Kono will have left to start a family.

I think they need to wrap it up at this rate

Aren't actors paid by episode?

Even if they were, would you want a job where you work 40 hours a week, care about your job and want to succeed and get paid less per hour than the guy who turns up 25 hours a week, does the same kind of work and isn't really too fussed about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Even if they were, would you want a job where you work 40 hours a week, care about your job and want to succeed and get paid less per hour than the guy who turns up 25 hours a week, does the same kind of work and isn't really too fussed about it?

TV and Movie Land is a strange place. Lucy Liu (Watson) earns way more than Jonny Lee Miller (Sherlock) despite Elementary being about Sherlock.

Lucy Liu would be a bigger name and would probably be one of the names used to sell the series.
    Scott Caan, as far as I'm concerned, is just the son of James Caan. Looking at his imdb page, I think the biggest thing he was in was one of the other guys in Ocean's 11, 12, 13.
    Grace Park brings Battlestar Galactica fans and I see other shows she was in since then.
    Daniel Dae Kim was fresh off Lost, which also had a pretty big fanbase.

Like if I was telling someone about Five-0, I would mention that Jin and Hurley from Lost, Boomer from BSG and the guy from Human Target and Pushing Daisies. I wouldn't even think to mention Scott Caan.

Basically, in my opinion, Daniel and Grace both deserve to be paid at least the same per episode as Scott Caan.

764dak wrote: »
    TV and Movie Land is a strange place. Lucy Liu (Watson) earns way more than Jonny Lee Miller (Sherlock) despite Elementary being about Sherlock.

Wow didn't know that :eek: Miller is also producer for Elementary

I thought Grace and Daniel would be on near enough same pay as Scott and Alex

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

764dak wrote: »

British actors are always cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I asked an actress friend of mine that lives in LA and has done some guest spots on some of the shows there.

There is a tiered level with the actors unions there. You will have a set rate for "guest spots". There are 2 ways to increase that. First is the number of guest spots you have been in. The second is if you have been a season regular in a show. If the latter is the case then you will get 2-3 times more for a guest spot than someone who has only done guest spots.

Now if you have someone that has starred in successful movies their guest spot rate is a lot higher. It's not because of their fame, more to do with the actors unions rates.

Best example for highly paid guest stars would be Brian McNamara who had 117 episodes of Army Wives. He does a lot of guest spots so would have a much higher rate than let's say Damien Keogh who plays Walter O'Briens father on Scorpion.

Kono's husband (Ian Anthony Dale) is being bumped up to series regular.

Meaghan Rath & Beulah Koale join as series regulars.

• Advertisement

Advertisement