Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording 2 sides of a conversation

Options
  • 31-05-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for a device which will record both sides of a conversation on the phone purely for my own record keeping. I know this is a delicate subject, but I just cant remember any details of conversations 10mins later. Spoke to 2 car insurance companies today and made about 3 calls to each, but I know tomorrow I will be clueless as to what the person said. There is a very good thread from 2003 at

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055195607&highlight=Recording

about the legalities involved.....but I really not worried about it because I just want it for record keeping.

I kept all my insurance quotes for the past 5 years, but its not a comprehensive record by any means. I tried to take written notes as I spoke to the agent, but after, the details were virtually illegible and made little or no sense.
    I looked in Maplins and they have a device for BT lines, but when I inquired they said they did not know if it would work in Ireland. Its at

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=24724

In the UK its no longer mandatory to inform a second party they are being recorded (strangely enough). Personally I would not like to be recorded without being informed first.....an if I get this device I will only use it occasionally, like when getting quotes.

What do you people think?.... is it inappropriate or unfair? Ill probably buy the thing and it will join a growing pile of tried and abandoned ideas in my shed.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Think it'll work alright but you may need an adapter.. There are probably better units you can use through your computer..

As for right or wrong, Id inform people. If not and you use the evidence to correct a quote or to prove your point you may get in hot water...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yea could use this.
    Always good to inform the person if is OK for yea to record the phone call.

But, feel free when calling insurance companies to slow down as your writing all details down :) tis easy for them to just repeat the details.
    Prob best when calling them to ask them a set list of questions, ask the same questions to each company. Easy to write down the answers and compare them

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Some good ideas there folks.....thanks.:-)

Advertisement