Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Fence

• 31-05-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I am looking to replace a wooden fence / garden divider. Basically what is there at the moment if 4 x 2 rough, its raised about a foot off the ground and anchored to 4 x 2 posts cemented into the ground. The posts have rotted so I am looking to replace the lot with a metal box profile similar to the 4 x 2 and even better if it can be got in a brown colour. Finding it hard to source. Anyone know of any suppliers in Dublin/Meath areas who would stock such a thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thewre is an agent in the midlands for this type of fence, its australian as far as i know but unless you are a very wealthy man, its cost restrictive, if i remember it was something like 200 euro for a 6 x 6 panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanks for the reply, I am not looking for panels but more like lengths of 4 x 2 but made of metal as its a pain having to replace the stakes every few years. If you think of the name of the company that would be great as maybe they do lengths as well as panels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

pissed wrote: »
    I am looking to replace a wooden fence / garden divider. Basically what is there at the moment if 4 x 2 rough, its raised about a foot off the ground and anchored to 4 x 2 posts cemented into the ground. The posts have rotted so I am looking to replace the lot with a metal box profile similar to the 4 x 2 and even better if it can be got in a brown colour. Finding it hard to source. Anyone know of any suppliers in Dublin/Meath areas who would stock such a thing.

Have you considered replacing the posts with treated timber that won't rot? If you pay a bit of attention to detailing (eg: installing the uprights into a galvinised steel holder which bolts to the concrete base - so that wooden upright isn't stuck in permanent damp) then it should last 'forever'.

Are you going horizontal with the planking or vertical? Horizontal would present less opportunity for water to get in through the cut ends of the planking - again treated timber for longevity is the way to go. Along with suitable outdoor fittings/screws

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

Skyclad in Mullingar do a fencing product which might suit you. I don't know how much it is though, you could give them a call if it's what you're after.

Website is http://www.skyclad.ie/new/index%20fencing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanks for the replies, I was looking for the metal option but failing that the treated timbers sounds like a good alternative. The current ones are just sunk in the ground causing them to rot so i'm sure the galvanised post holders would sort that problem. Will give skyclad a buzz.... thanks again :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement