Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shih Tzu Weight?

Options
  • 31-05-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just wondering what the weight of a four month old shih tzu should be? I met another shih tzu owner in the park a week ago and his dog which is 2 wks younger than my bitch is a lot smaller. Are bitches normally bigger than males when it comes to shih tzus?. Bit concerned about my fat-tzu.

Thanks in advance.;)

Update: Just weighed her. 6 3/4 pounds.
    Here's a few pics of fatty ;)
    IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have seen Shih tzu's that are very small and very big, and every size in between.
    I know its hard to tell with a fluffy pup but run your hands down the length of the body, from the shoulders to the tail, the ribs should be wider than the abdomen, and you should be able to feel the ribs with a layer of fat over them.
    I wouldn't worry to much, I had someone tell me my larger dog was fat when the vet said he was quite underweight, he was fluffy so hard to tell.
    Males are generally bigger, but dogs sometimes grow at different rates, so until about a year it can be hard to compare.
    She looks fine in the pic's. Someone posted a guide on here a while back, try searching.
    Don't worry at 4 months she's just a baby.
    She's gorgeous by the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Found it, here you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 palester

She's gorgeous! I love Shih Tzus!!

Just keep in mind that being a very popular breed, they are extremely over bred (often puppy farmed) so you are going to see differences in the size of the dogs from one brood bitch to another. Compare your pup to others of the same litter rather than other shih tzus. If you rescued yours from a sanctuary/ rescue, the owners of the sanctuary are always more then happy to give free advice in relation to your dog. They are a mine of information! Once you are walking them and feeding a good quality food, I wouldn't worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Yep like someone else said, some Shih-Tzus are just bigger and some are smaller. Maybe the male was the runt of the litter too?

At four months she probably wouldn't be fat (or it would be puppy fat!)

She's really cute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Thanks for all the replies. My mind is at rest now.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

She just looks a bit chunky, like my shih-tzu. She's not obese or anything, I wouldn't worry.

Advertisement